Ocean Medallion & Beverage Package Compatibility Issues

Woobstr112G

I booked the aibp on my cruise personaliser now it has been taken off and out of stock applied. as a British passenger this will have an impact on our holiday as with the current exchange rate paying for drinks on princess are very expensive. there the drinks package gave us peace of mind we don't have to worry about what we are drinking. as far as this ordering drinks when and where you like never had a problem before. go to the bar order your drink and it is there. this new system will have the staff run ragged and probably cause more delays in getting a drink. won't be booking this cruise again

I booked the aibp on my cruise personaliser now it has been taken off and out of stock applied. as a British passenger this will have an impact on our holiday as with the current exchange rate paying for drinks on princess are very expensive. there the drinks package gave us peace of mind we don't have to worry about what we are drinking. as far as this ordering drinks when and where you like never had a problem before. go to the bar order your drink and it is there. this new system will have the staff run ragged and probably cause more delays in getting a drink. won't be booking this cruise again

Did you actually pay for the AIBP - not just add it to your shopping cart?

If you had booked and paid for the AIBP, then Princess is honoring it. If it disappeared from your Cruise Personalizer after you paid for it, then call Princess - they should be able to fix it.

If you had added the AIBP to your shopping cart but not yet paid for it before they changed the policy, then it would be marked out of stock and you cannot purchase it now.

Did you actually pay for the AIBP - not just add it to your shopping cart?

If you had booked and paid for the AIBP, then Princess is honoring it. If it disappeared from your Cruise Personalizer after you paid for it, then call Princess - they should be able to fix it.

If you had added the AIBP to your shopping cart but not yet paid for it before they changed the policy, then it would be marked out of stock and you cannot purchase it now.

That is my understanding as well. I know that the Sip and Sail promo package still shows in my personalizer for our Medallion cruise next March.

I have a hypothesis as to what the problem is.

I have one too!

Beverage Package purchasers 'buy' a lot of drinks (obviously). This can make bar service slow, particularly on short cruises, where there are a lot of purchasers.

Initially, I would expect operations with the medallion to be slow. It will be new to everyone, passengers, bar tenders, etc.

So, do kind of a beta-test on per-drink purchasers, and after everything is working, re-enable the package.

This is based on nothing more that watching princess attempt to implement new technology in the past.

From Princess via their Facebook page :

"Hi Cheryl, our Ocean Medallion Class ships allow you to order what you want, when you want it – in most locations throughout the ship. In order to accommodate this great new way to order beverages, our soda and all-inclusive beverage package will initially not be offered onboard our Ocean Medallion class ships.

We will honor any packages previously purchased. Medallion Class voyages will be eligible for promotional offers that include a beverage package - like our popular Sip n Sail.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard!"

It's good to know that if the Sip and Sail promo comes up again it will be included on Ocean Medallion Class ships. We had the Sip and Sail promo on our Regal cruise in December. It was great!!

Why on Ocean Medallion Class cruises does Princess allow passengers to use a complimentary AIBP but not allow passengers to purchase the AIBP??? :confused:

Do they think that passengers who get it for free won't feel they need to get as many drinks because they didn't pay for the AIBP? And that maybe passengers who pay for the AIBP consume more alcohol to get their moneys worth??

It makes no sense to me that they'll give away the AIBP as part of the Sip n Sail promotion but they will not sell the AIBP to passengers who are willing to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Why on Ocean Medallion Class cruises does Princess allow passengers to use a complimentary AIBP but not allow passengers to purchase the AIBP??? :confused:

'Dollars to donuts' -

The AIBPs included in future promotions will not allow unlimited drinks. They will put a daily cap on the number of beverages you can get. Any more than that number, you will pay the menu price per drink.

'Dollars to donuts' -

The AIBPs included in future promotions will not allow unlimited drinks. They will put a daily cap on the number of beverages you can get. Any more than that number, you will pay the menu price per drink.

If they did that, who in there right mind would buy it, you may as well buy obc if that was the case.

If they did that, who in there right mind would buy it, you may as well buy obc if that was the case.

If the AIBP is capped at 15 drinks per day, probably people who figure they will drink $150 'worth' per day... and all the people who buy it "for the convenience".

It works for HAL... they have an $8 per drink 'ceiling', and a 15 drink per day 'cap' on their version.

Edited by Bill B

'Dollars to donuts' -

And you know this how???

Do they think that passengers who get it for free won't feel they need to get as many drinks because they didn't pay for the AIBP? And that maybe passengers who pay for the AIBP consume more alcohol to get their moneys worth??

It makes no sense to me that they'll give away the AIBP as part of the Sip n Sail promotion but they will not sell the AIBP to passengers who are willing to pay for it. :rolleyes:

Spot on sir. For our Panama Canal cruise next week, I paid over $900 for the package. If we sail on that 27 day I have booked for 2019, it would be over $1500pp. I simply cannot understand how Princess couldn't figure out a way to incorporate this obvious money maker, for people who are actually willing to pay for it, into the new system.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

In order to accommodate this great new way to order beverages, our soda and all-inclusive beverage packages will initially not be offered

Who at princess writes this drivel?

Their 'great' new system seems a little less than great if it can't at least do what the old system did.

Who at princess writes this drivel?

Their 'great' new system seems a little less than great if it can't at least do what the old system did.

I'm headed down to East Los Angeles later today to conduct some training. I'll swing by Princess HQ in Santa Clarita and ask Jan what the heck is going on.....:D:D:D

Bob

I'm headed down to East Los Angeles later today to conduct some training. I'll swing by Princess HQ in Santa Clarita and ask Jan what the heck is going on.....:D:D:D

Bob

Too bad you can't arrest her if she doesn't put the AIBP back in.:( Or can you?:evilsmile:

If the AIBP is capped at 15 drinks per day, probably people who figure they will drink $150 'worth' per day... and all the people who buy it "for the convenience".

It works for HAL... they have an $8 per drink 'ceiling', and a 15 drink per day 'cap' on their version.

Works on Carnival also. 15 alcoholic drinks up to $50 ($50 ceiling per drink) and unlimited anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Works on Carnival also. 15 alcoholic drinks up to $50 ($50 ceiling per drink) and unlimited anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This would not fix the perceived problem. The problem with AIBP and Medallion is not people buying too much alcohol - it's people purchasing too many drinks to be delivered. That's why they also don't order the Soda & More Package with the Medallion. If I had 20 sodas or mocktails delivered all over the ship, that would cost Princess just as much in crew time as 20 alcoholic drinks.

The solution to this problem is not to limit the number of drinks. Just make us use the packages in dining rooms and bars. We can't use them for room service now, so we wouldn't lose anything. They can still have the new Medallion delivery system for people paying for each drink. If they wanted to, they could even offer the Medallion delivery system to people with AIBP and Soda & More packages with a stated delivery charge instead of the full price of the drink.

The software to implement any of these solutions is not complicated. Princess just needs to figure out what to do to limit the additional costs for delivery without taking away what people have now.

I think they are worried about people with the packages ordering hundreds of drinks per day to be in certain places at certain times... and the passenger not showing up "then and there".

Okay that's reasonable

So make a rule, if you have AIBP you cannot order with the medallion.

Ordering drinks for others will be a problem for Princess and anyone with the AIBP now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad you can't arrest her if she doesn't put the AIBP back in.:( Or can you?:evilsmile:

There's always that tried and true section of the Penal Code known as "Contempt of Cop".....:D:D:D

Bob

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the ordering of drinks to be delivered wherever you happen to be. It would be easy to order a drink delivered and then hand it off to someone else and order another drink delivered. It would also be easy to keep staff running ragged delivering drinks. They should just do away with their plan to deliver drinks as it seems to be unworkable in the real world. That would likely solve the problem but, of course, I'm just guessing.

Don't they have that problem now?

Ordering for someone else and handing it off?

We have been getting the AIBP for us and soda and more for the kids since we've been able to.

It works for a 7-10 day cruise but on a 15, it's way too much alcohol. So we won't do that again. Plus the price jumps up at you for the longer cruises. Would still want to get for the kids no matter how long the cruise is. For us, it's really a matter of convenience and paying up front. I've heard how much money princess makes off the packages, I'm just surprised they haven't figured it out with the medallion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk