When did Celebrity go from 4 courses to 3 in MDR?

steve ch

Sanity check here.

I'm sure I remember having both a starter and a soup course in the MDR, four courses in total.

When did it change to just a starter, an entree and desert?

Or am I having a senior moment?

They rearranged the menu, lumping all starters together, but you can still order four courses any time you want. Most nights everyone at our table orders four courses.

Same here....just ask for the salad course separately..

Judging by the last cruise we had a 4 course menu and the first reports of a 3 course menu I reckon about 12-15 months ago. Our table of 8 continued to order 4 courses last summer.

There is no limit to how many starters you order, so just go ahead and order both soup and salad. So many people complain about the length of time of dinner I guess by having all starters at once the service goes a little more quickly. If you really need them separately, just ask for the soup or salad first and see if they can bring the other in a staggered fashion. They probably won't split everything up entirely into "four courses" to keep up with the rest of the tables moving from starters to entrees, but if one items is hot and the other cold, eat the hot one first. If you want wine paired with each one, just ask for two different wines slightly staggered as well.

Whilst those of us who cruised before the change will know about choosing extra courses from the newer menu, we sat amongst people who hadn't sailed Celebrity and didn't see them ordering more than 3 courses. I guess it's saving Celebrity a little on the food bill and possibly could speed up dining in Select to help turn tables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whilst those of us who cruised before the change will know about choosing extra courses from the newer menu, we sat amongst people who hadn't sailed Celebrity and didn't see them ordering more than 3 courses. I guess it's saving Celebrity a little on the food bill and possibly could speed up dining in Select to help turn tables.

I never noticed, since we order as we always have! Since we always request a table for 2 (or 4 if we're travelling with another couple) our server never worries about us keeping up with others. We usually start with shrimp cocktail, escargot and a soup or salad before the entrée (no wonder we gain weight on cruises!) so we never have had only 3 courses.

As others said, there is no problem in getting 4 courses. I always ask my DH .... "How many pieces?" In other words, how many courses are you ordering. I usually get soup, salad and an appetizer or two and usually skip the entree altogether. These are my favorites anyway and if you get that french onion soup, oh my goodness, that is like a meal in itself. :D

Doesn't matter, half the time we have a hard time finding three courses worth ordering.

Look harder, I;m sure you'll find something. Let's see, 5 choices of starters plus 5 choices of entrees per night, plus 3 standards, plus 5 desserts. You must be very very picky. Maybe MDR is not for you and you should stick to specialty dining..

Thank you for the good attitude. Enjoy your cruise.

I never noticed, since we order as we always have! Since we always request a table for 2 (or 4 if we're travelling with another couple) our server never worries about us keeping up with others. We usually start with shrimp cocktail, escargot and a soup or salad before the entrée (no wonder we gain weight on cruises!) so we never have had only 3 courses.

Same order on Summit last week.

The starters are always the toughest choice for me. So many of them look good. I limit myself to two (unless the main course options look unattractive to me).

I prefer three courses rather than four. The starters just happen together, which I like.

Actually, I pretty much do only two courses because I'm just not much of a dessert guy. I like the cheese plate for dessert (RCCL, but I assume X has similar), but that is way too much food for me at the end of a meal.

Dan

You can order anything off the menu. I often have two of an appetizer and a salad for my "entrée" for a night. Our friends often ordered an entrée to share along with their individual entrée. And LOTS of people order more than one dessert to share. Waitstaff are anxious to please.

We (almost) always order a soup or salad first, followed by a starter then main. I wouldn't be happy if the soup/salad came at the same time as the starter though, but thankfully thus has not happened!

I do find many of the starters to be very small, one spring roll, 2" long by 1/2" wide. One of my starters recently mentioned peppers on the description but the quantity on the plate was about 2, tiny fingernail's worth. I don't mind if i have a salad too, rather enjoy little tasters.

We (almost) always order a soup or salad first, followed by a starter then main. I wouldn't be happy if the soup/salad came at the same time as the starter though, but thankfully thus has not happened!

I do find many of the starters to be very small, one spring roll, 2" long by 1/2" wide. One of my starters recently mentioned peppers on the description but the quantity on the plate was about 2, tiny fingernail's worth. I don't mind if i have a salad too, rather enjoy little tasters.

I agree but I would want the starter then the soup or salad, then main. Good to know our whims are accommodated.

Sanity check here.

I'm sure I remember having both a starter and a soup course in the MDR, four courses in total.

When did it change to just a starter, an entree and desert?

Or am I having a senior moment?

Not at all, I spotted this last August and had the same thoughts. We perceived it as a cost cutting exercise but unfortunately for X we saw through it. ;)

I just order what I like. If here are two appetizers I like, I order both. Often, my Grandson who is now 23 will let them know when he orders that he would like 2 of the same appetizer (usually the escargot).

Ridiculously so in some cases. The Scallops Rockefeller, is a scallop, a single scallop - that's an Amuse Bouche not a starter

Ridiculously so in some cases. The Scallops Rockefeller, is a scallop, a single scallop - that's an Amuse Bouche not a starter

No joke, I remember a scallop appetizer on our last cruise and I swear one scallop was used for our entire table of 10. It was a couple of paper thin slices of scallop per order. I usually order 2 or 3 appys due to their minuscule size. Even the shrimp cocktails are pretty pathetic now, the shrimp are oompa loompa sized. I'm not a huge eater and prefer the smaller entrees but the appys are becoming almost comical in size.

I think having the small appetizers is a great idea. It's win-win-win:

- if it's too difficult to choose between 2 appetizers that sound good, get both! ;)

- if you only try one, and like it, you can easily order another

- if you try something new, and don't like if, less waste.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app