Shud I go or not?

My old school friend & I have cruised together now for three years. We are currently booked onto P&O's Arcadia for a trip to the fjords in July.

However, due to health issues it seems as if my friend might have to forego the trip.

As I have no reason to cancel (as far as my insurance is concerned) I'm wondering whether I should still sail, or just cut my losses, forget the money I've paid & stay home.

Has anyone out there been in this situation? Or got experience of travelling solo at 65?

Shud I go or not?

If your friend has to cancel for a valid medical reason and you decide to go, does that put you having to pay double as a solo traveler? I don't know what P&O's policy is on that, but I think that would be the case with most cruise lines. Are you okay with paying double if P&O requires it?

My best friend, her DH & I were booked on a 14-day cruise from Chile to Argentina in Feb. 2017. We were meeting in Santiago 2 day before the cruise (they went to Chile 4 days ahead).

While I was flying in, my BFF fell in Santiago & broke her upper arm! The ER doctor found that she needed specialized surgery. They immediately flew back to the US. We didn't even got to see each other!

My insurance would not have covered me cancelling my trip, nor did I consider it. We'd planned the trip for 15 months. So, I cruised, messaged her every night (love free internet minutes!) & took lots of photos to share. (I did miss visiting their aft cabin!)

I'm 70+ and have cruised solo several times.

GO! Enjoy! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Paying double when someone cancels can happen. In fact a few years ago on a HAL ship, two women were scheduled to do a cruise together. One got ill right before the cruise and cancelled last minute. The other decided to go (would have lost money) and then was shocked when HAL billed her for sailing solo.

O dear, I'm horrified at thort of having to pay double for the cruise if Gillian doesn't go. Or even a single use supplement.

I thort Gillian's travel insurance company (Saga) wud reimburse her & P&O wud keep all the money we Haf both paid. (Settled costs in full wks ago).

If that were the case, wud P&O want even more money for me to travel solo even tho they'd got all monies owing?

Check both insurance policies - your and hers. It may be that you've got coverage for this situation. Talk to your TA about how to determine definitively! (And go)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I realize that each line has specified policies for cancellations post final payment, but I would think that if none of the stateroom fare - other than port fees and taxes - is refunded to your traveling partner it would be treated as a no show and your rate would remain unchanged. I would also think the same might be the case even if they are reimbursed by insurance as long as the cruise line remains whole, which is the point of insurance, as they return the funds, not the cruise line.

I think the best - and only way - to get the right answer is to contact the cruise line and see what their policies and options are regarding your situation.

Thanx evy one for all yr support & advice. Much appreciated!

I think I wud like to go solo if my friend can't make it. The comments people Haf posted make me feel it cud b a gr8 trip for me even tho I wud miss my friend.

Also, very sound advice re reading our travel insurance policies & checking wiv them & P&O to c exactly wot costs I wud incur travelling as a singleton.

Again, thanx to all who've replied to me. I feel better for it!

Aside from the cost considerations - which are difficult to weigh, there is the question of sailing alone. I have done it several times, in your general age area: you need to extend yourself just a little, but it is definitely worth it. Yes, very different from sailing with a close friend - but a great experience in itself as you will wind up interacting with many more people than if you were traveling with a friend. My only word of advice: request seating at an assigned dining table of eight or ten - that way you will have a nucleus with whom to connect every day - and, don't hesitate to ask for a change if your first table is incompatible.

Go for it - enjoy!

Aside from the cost considerations - which are difficult to weigh, there is the question of sailing alone. I have done it several times, in your general age area: you need to extend yourself just a little, but it is definitely worth it. Yes, very different from sailing with a close friend - but a great experience in itself as you will wind up interacting with many more people than if you were traveling with a friend. My only word of advice: request seating at an assigned dining table of eight or ten - that way you will have a nucleus with whom to connect every day - and, don't hesitate to ask for a change if your first table is incompatible.

Go for it - enjoy!

I think this is good advise. My traveling partner passed away last December from the effects of agent orange. We had two cruises planned this year and three next year. Luckily I found another friend to go this year (August & December). However, haven't found anyone for the three in 2018. So, indeed a solo passenger pays 200%+ but I've decided staying home is not an option. Even though I'm a 70 yr old male, solo passenger, I'm sure I'll do fine. As mentioned in the previous post, I may have to be a little out going than is my norm but, I will be fine. This life is too short to just stay home and go no where.

Ask your travel agent, or ring customer services at P&O, Carnival House, Southampton. I've met people alone through similar circumstances, who have enjoyed themselves once they've embarked... they join groups; sit at larger dining tables, and go to afternoon tea where there are separate tables for people who are travelling alone- they make friends and arrange excursions together.

If your friend has a genuine medical reason for cancelling as advised by doctors she can cancel. If she cancels, surely she cancels the booking, not just herself and can recover the cost of the complete package. Leaving you both to re-book together at a later date as appropriate.

I am sure this is what a married couple would do, and expected by the insurers.

Regards John

If your friend has a genuine medical reason for cancelling as advised by doctors she can cancel. If she cancels, surely she cancels the booking, not just herself and can recover the cost of the complete package. Leaving you both to re-book together at a later date as appropriate.

I am sure this is what a married couple would do, and expected by the insurers.

Regards John

In most cases, if people are not married or travelling as a couple, they pay their own fares and get their own insurance. So, if the OP's travelling companion needs to cancel, she cancels herself.

What most people don't understand is that when someone cancels, the fare they've paid changes from "cruise fare" to "cancellation penalty". That's why the cruise line can sometimes charge the remaining occupant who is now travelling as a solo. The money sacrificed becomes a penalty cost to the cancelling traveler, and the remaining traveler is now alone in a cabin that is billed as a double, so the cruise line charges them the solo supplement.

Many would advocate that the other occupant be a "no show" thereby eliminating the penalty cost; however, if someone has insurance, they must cancel to get a refund of any fees paid.

I would suggest that OP check their own insurance policy. If she is travelling with a companion, and that companion cancels for a "covered reason" under her insurance, then the OP should be able to cancel her own cruise, since the companion is now not going. It's important to read the information in the insurance brochure to find out if she would be covered to cancel.