My Upcoming Emerald Cruise to Alaska Questions

AF-1

Headed to Alaska in July so Hello fellow Princess cruisers. I have a few questions and know you guys are the people in the know.

1. First Time on Princess Ship so have no idea what to expect; except what I have read on this Princess Thread. People here seem to like the Emerald; some saying its their fav ship. Does anyone have anything else to add about this ship; like why they like it and etc

2. I printed my boarding pass and luggage tags. Do they no longer send the luggage tags that you tape around your bags?

3. Where do I go once onboard to sign up for the ships tour on last sea day?

4. Do you recommend I go straight to crown grill to make my reservations for my first night dinner? We received a dinner comp on our cruise personalizer for day 1.

5. Of all the theater shows onboard which one do you recommend as a must see?

6. I may have a few more questions regarding the cruise or ship

7. We are in a family suite with grandkids; and I have read the enhanced benefits for suite guests. So the club dining looks great, and do they have reserved seats in theater for suite guests?

Headed to Alaska in July so Hello fellow Princess cruisers. I have a few questions and know you guys are the people in the know.

1. First Time on Princess Ship so have no idea what to expect; except what I have read on this Princess Thread. People here seem to like the Emerald; some saying its their fav ship. Does anyone have anything else to add about this ship; like why they like it and etc

Emerald Princess is a nice ship. Many lounges, lots of evening shows and live music around the ship in various venues, we enjoy Crooner's most nights starting 9pm onwards, lots of free food, good viewing areas. One downside is no indoor pool for Alaska.

2. I printed my boarding pass and luggage tags. Do they no longer send the luggage tags that you tape around your bags?

They no longer send you luggage tags. The ones you print are it. We attach them to our suitcases at the hotel just before boarding.

3. Where do I go once onboard to sign up for the ships tour on last sea day?

Passenger Services on boarding day on deck 6 mid ship. If they have the tour space is limited.

4. Do you recommend I go straight to crown grill to make my reservations for my first night dinner? We received a dinner comp on our cruise personalizer for day 1.

Yes, or call the DINE line

5. Of all the theater shows onboard which one do you recommend as a must see?

Magic to Do is the best. It is just under an hour long. If you go to the 8pm hour show arrive at least 30 mins early to get a seat. The later show isn't so crowded. I find all the productions shows entertaining, and most guest entertainers also put on good shows.

6. I may have a few more questions regarding the cruise or ship

7. We are in a family suite with grandkids; and I have read the enhanced benefits for suite guests. So the club dining looks great, and do they have reserved seats in theater for suite guests?

No reserved seats in the theater. As you are in a full suite you and everyone in the suite will receive full suite benefits. Don't forget the special suite breakfasts. I believe on the Emerald suite breakfasts are served in the Crown Grill. This is only for full suite passengers, no one else.

See Above

Tours, you need to go to the shore excursion desk. Crown Grille, ASAP once you get onboard, as they book up quickly. Luggage Tags. For the 12 Years I've sailed on Princess, I've only known of printing the luggage tags from the cruise personalizer.

Everyone thank you for the feedback and answers. Last year we were on NCL and they still had luggage tags with the tape that you wrapped around; but no biggie; we will get a stapler from hotel prior to departing on the 9th. I think I read the crown grill is reserved for suite guests for breakfast; but since they started the club dining; we also have that for a breakfast choice. Look forward to this experience with Princess. No indoor pool is not a biggie; don't hang at either indoor or outdoor pool. Plus other than the sea days we won't have too much time to lounge. Cheers

Suite passenger breakfast is much better than MDR breakfast. Take advantage of that perk. Don't try to use the DINE line to make your Crown Grill reservation. It will be busy non-stop on embarkation day. Go directly to the venue to make your reservation. Hope you enjoy Emerald. We've never sailed that ship but are booked on her for 28 days in October.

Regarding the Ulimate Ship Tour go straight to the Purser desk & ask to to signup for the UST (there is binder that lists the people who want to go on the tour) - when we did it they were not organized & told us to come back later - we insisted they create a paper in the binder showing we were the first ones to sign up (since they usually only select 12 people) which they did & we were selected - It is one of the best tours we have ever taken - it's well worth the money especially since all the gifts they give you are worth the price of the tour -Enjoy!!!

Thrak thank you. I will go directly to the crown grill to book reservation for 1st nght and will take advantage of breakfast there too. I am looking forward to getting name on list to do ship tour. I will stop by desk to get name on the list list. Wow so many things to do on debrakation day. Crown grill ressie, UST ressie, photo package, coffee cards, some wifi minutes. She much to do on day 1. What time should i show up to pier to make sure I get onboard to make my reaervations?

Some recent posts have said when going to the CG during embarkation the crewmember picked up the phone to call the DINE line. ;)

I've rarely been unable to contact the DINE line on the first day to make specialty dining requests including the Chefs Table. We're 4 for 4 calling the DINE line from our cabin upon embarkation.

I'd suggest that one of you go to the PSD to get on the UST list & the other person to call the DINE line from your cabin or any ship phone. If the DINE line doesn't answer then going to the restaurant would be my recommendation.

At any embarkation port I arrive by 10:30 and onboard with priority boarding by noon. Being in a suite you'll also have priority boarding to get on the ship ASAP to begin your cruise & to make reservations for limited participation activities.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Seattle as a port is pretty remarkably efficient - as someone booked in a full suite who would like to book scarce resources, I would show up at 11:15 with my documents in order and ducks in a row. When you board (first group onto the ship after BVE guests, wedding parties held pierside and wheelchair assist), around 11:45-12:00. you'll be asked for your cabin number. One of you should pick something like Aloha 204 so you are directed forward (walking closer to Guest Services for the UST) and one should say Caribe 753 so they get sent closer to Crown Grill.

The Elite/Suite waiting area at Seattle isn't that plush and the snacks aren't that good.

The guest entertainers will likely be better than any of the production shows especially Magic to Do, which was slaughtered (literally) from it's original version. IMO

Sorry to read about Magic to Do...we've enjoyed it twice on the Crown with the original performer/magician Michael Misko.

The guest entertainers will likely be better than any of the production shows especially Magic to Do, which was slaughtered (literally) from it's original version. IMO

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Forums mobile app

I have seen it twice once each on the Emerald and Crown. I found it very entertaining, and the best Princess production show I have seen. Everyone to their own opinion.

Astro Flyer and Vibe Guy;' thank you for the valuable feedback and tips. Whatever performance of the magic show will be fine with me; since I have nothing to compare it to; it will be a good show to watch. Again thanks. We plan on taking uber or lyft from hotel to pier. Staying at downtown Hilton

We haven't had a chance to see the production shows so far (so much to do!), but we are loving the North to Alaska presentations.

Also, try the fruit tartlets at the International Cafe. We can't stop eating them!

We boarded quickly (my Mom is Elite) and want straight to Passenger Services to sign up for the ship tour. He had to ask someone, but found the page and we were the first to sign up. They have to have a minimum of 6 and no more than 12. It was advertised in the Patter on the first full day, so we are hoping at least 4 more signed up. We are on the Ruby, but it's very similar to the Emerald. For us, the tour is scheduled for 8:15am on the Victoria day. For us, that's Friday. I think for you it will be Saturday.

Sent from my VS820 using Forums mobile app

A few other points of info.

Magic to Do is not a magic show. It is a musical show with illusions as backgrounds.

The Crown Grill may not have anyone there until 1 or 2 in the afternoon on boarding day. So if you board earlier, call the DINE line from your cabin, or just do your other tasks first.

The DR is open for lunch from noon to 1:30 on boarding day. Not sure if Club Class operates for lunch on boarding day, but you may wish to check it out.

I have seen it twice once each on the Emerald and Crown. I found it very entertaining, and the best Princess production show I have seen. Everyone to their own opinion.

Same here. We enjoyed the show on both ships.

Based on our experience, Calling Dine line is more responsive and accommodating than directly dealing with Crown Grill at the door.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's good to hear as I've seen other posts where people said it was terrible. We're on Emerald for 28 days in October and I'm happy to hear that you liked the show. We are tired of the "regular" Princess shows and looking forward to something different.

We haven't had a chance to see the production shows so far (so much to do!), but we are loving the North to Alaska presentations.

Also, try the fruit tartlets at the International Cafe. We can't stop eating them!

We boarded quickly (my Mom is Elite) and want straight to Passenger Services to sign up for the ship tour. He had to ask someone, but found the page and we were the first to sign up. They have to have a minimum of 6 and no more than 12. It was advertised in the Patter on the first full day, so we are hoping at least 4 more signed up. We are on the Ruby, but it's very similar to the Emerald. For us, the tour is scheduled for 8:15am on the Victoria day. For us, that's Friday. I think for you it will be Saturday.

Sent from my VS820 using Forums mobile app

Will try and get our name on the list to do ships tour. Thanks

A few other points of info.

Magic to Do is not a magic show. It is a musical show with illusions as backgrounds.

The Crown Grill may not have anyone there until 1 or 2 in the afternoon on boarding day. So if you board earlier, call the DINE line from your cabin, or just do your other tasks first.

The DR is open for lunch from noon to 1:30 on boarding day. Not sure if Club Class operates for lunch on boarding day, but you may wish to check it out.

Very helpful info; thanks

Same here. We enjoyed the show on both ships.

Based on our experience, Calling Dine line is more responsive and accommodating than directly dealing with Crown Grill at the door.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you; you always have informative info on these threads. Have a great day

Everyone thank you for the feedback and answers. Last year we were on NCL and they still had luggage tags with the tape that you wrapped around; but no biggie; we will get a stapler from hotel prior to departing on the 9th. I think I read the crown grill is reserved for suite guests for breakfast; but since they started the club dining; we also have that for a breakfast choice. Look forward to this experience with Princess. No indoor pool is not a biggie; don't hang at either indoor or outdoor pool. Plus other than the sea days we won't have too much time to lounge. Cheers

Actuallly just bought something on Amazon to put your paper tickets that you print out into. They are hard clear hard plastic that closes like a zip lock bag. It has a reusable metal thing to attach to your suitcase. They were 8 for less than $10.00

philliesgirl48, what was the name of the item you bought on Amazon so I can look it up? Thanks

You can directly purchase the luggage tag holders from Favors By Serendipity or on Amazon. I've used mine for many years & for a couple of dollars each they've never failed. You can either search online for the manufacturer's website or here's the Amazon link.

https://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Holders-Grommet-Princess-Caribbean/dp/B00ABM7I0W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1494780368&sr=8-9&keywords=princess+cruise+luggage+tag+holder

"Suitable for: Princess Cruises, Carnival Cruises, Celebrity, Costa Cruises, Holland America Cruises, P & O Cruises, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and Seabourn Cruises".

When I purchased them directly from the manufacturer they provided a PDF file to print a tag to put in the holder for a flight. On the outside it states that if the bag is lost to open the tag holder. On the reverse side of the tag I use Word to print my itinerary to hopefully have my bags catch up with me when traveling.

So it's useful for both checking in luggage for a flight or for giving your luggage to a porter at the cruise ship terminal.

Edited by Astro Flyer