Cruise ports

Sun 4-ever

;p Old San Juan is one of the best ports we have been to. We have been several times and still look forward to another visit. You can spend an entire day exploring just one of the two forts in Old San Juan. The city streets are full of old buildings that are kept mostly in good shape. We are told by people that have been to Spain that the area reminds them of Spain.

St. Thomas is another great port to just roam around, good restaurants and shops all over the place. Good site seeing tours as well. Most of the ports in the Caribbean have nice tours that do not include the water. Have fun and happy cruising.:D

Agree that San Juan is a great choice for those into things other than beaches. Great historic sites, tons of local restaurants to sample local fare (not just chain restaurants devoted to tourists).

Along those same lines we like Nassau, St Maarten, Curacao, Grenada, Cartagena, Belize and Roatan.

I would avoid private islands like Half Moon Caye. They are truly just beach days. I would also steer away from Grand Cayman and Grand Turk. While both are good for beach lovers, snorkelers and divers they do not have as much to offer land lovers.

Belize....Mayan ruin tours, Cave tubing tours, Zoo of native animals.

Roatan,....island tour, iguana rescue, monkey and sloth rescue, ziplining.

Jamaica....island tour, ziplining, waterfall climbing, river tubing, food tours, Rum factory tours.

Cozumel....on Mainland...Mayan ruins, underground river tours, shopping, cultural village tours.

San Juan PR.... 2 huge historic forts, museums. Walk the old town streets, Food tours, Rum factory tours.

Amber Cove.....waterfall excursion, Puerta Plata tour, fort tour, caves tour

Progreso....Mayan ruins, Merida city tour, Merida food tour, Mayan cenotes swimming

I would add Key West to the list! Easy port for walking around or taking a guided bus tour. Lots of little restaurants/bars to pop into for a drink with a beautiful view! There's the Hemingway House, Aquarium, Southernmost Point and other sites to see that aren't centered around a beach.

Agree that San Juan is a great choice for those into things other than beaches. Great historic sites, tons of local restaurants to sample local fare (not just chain restaurants devoted to tourists).

Along those same lines we like Nassau, St Maarten, Curacao, Grenada, Cartagena, Belize and Roatan.

I would avoid private islands like Half Moon Caye. They are truly just beach days. I would also steer away from Grand Cayman and Grand Turk. While both are good for beach lovers, snorkelers and divers they do not have as much to offer land lovers.

For the most part, I agree. But do not find Nassau or Freeport to be a great stop. A lot of ships go there, and it can be challenging to find non beach or shopping things to do. On the other hand, we love Grand Turk. It has amazing snorkeling; there is a 4000' (literally) drop off easily within sight of shore referred to as "the wall." Grand Turk is totally unspoiled and taking the tram around the island is great. Also, the stop here usually isn't long and we love to take a walk to the right of the pier (hopefully the tide allows) along this totally unspoiled stretch of nature. Grand Cayman is not my favorite port either, but it is worth at least a one time visit for Hell, the Turtle Farm and a swim with the sting rays, IMHO.

PS -we love Key west and the hop on/off trolley!

And in Cozumel I would add Chankanaab park for a dolphin or sea lion encounter!

For the most part, I agree. But do not find Nassau or Freeport to be a great stop. A lot of ships go there, and it can be challenging to find non beach or shopping things to do. On the other hand, we love Grand Turk. It has amazing snorkeling; there is a 4000' (literally) drop off easily within sight of shore referred to as "the wall." Grand Turk is totally unspoiled and taking the tram around the island is great. Also, the stop here usually isn't long and we love to take a walk to the right of the pier (hopefully the tide allows) along this totally unspoiled stretch of nature. Grand Cayman is not my favorite port either, but it is worth at least a one time visit for Hell, the Turtle Farm and a swim with the sting rays, IMHO.

Agree that Grand Turk has amazing snorkeling and diving. That is what we did when we went there. The Wall was a big "wow". But the port is a dud for site-seeing which is what the OP was asking about.

Nassau has tons of non-water options. We discovered a couple of years ago free online self-guided walking tours which we have done in a few places now, Nassau included. The historic churches, library that used to be a jail, Queen's Staircase, government buildings etc. were quite interesting. A tour at Graycliff chocolatier is also cool. I know Nassau gets a bad rap and that's too bad.

Agree that Grand Turk has amazing snorkeling and diving. That is what we did when we went there. The Wall was a big "wow". But the port is a dud for site-seeing which is what the OP was asking about.

Nassau has tons of non-water options. We discovered a couple of years ago free online self-guided walking tours which we have done in a few places now, Nassau included. The historic churches, library that used to be a jail, Queen's Staircase, government buildings etc. were quite interesting. A tour at Graycliff chocolatier is also cool. I know Nassau gets a bad rap and that's too bad.

I agree that Nassau gets a "bad rap" because we have been many times and done everything from people to people to an island tour of church's and stairs to Adastra Gardens and the fort to Balmoral island. We have walked thee draw marked and enjoyed local cerveche at Junkanoo. I can find something to do anywhere we go but I will also concede it is one of the dirtiest, poorest, ugliest and most packed ports.

Including Grand Turk. I got the impression from them OP that they didn't object to the beach - just weren't sitters/sun worshippers - I am married to one of those so I get that. But GT is also one of his favorite places. If you have never been there is sightseeing using the tram which takes you to a local village, past the salt ponds and out to a gorgeous lighthouse.

I would not hesitate to book a cruise that went to GT and personally would chose it over Nassau for its beauty and lack of development.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So glad to hear your input. My reading on Nassau gives me lots of ideas of what to do. We love exploring history.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow thank you all for the input. I asked this question because my husband and I love the beach so that is what we do in every port but we are trying to talk my hubbies brother and his wife to join us and she is not a sun beach worshiper like us. I want to show her there are other things to do. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would say a southern caribbean cruise. Places like San Juan, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, etc all have lots to see. St Kitts was surprisingly interesting to me when we did an island tour. The views from Brimstone Hill Fortress are incredible!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The first time we visit a new island/port, I book the basic highlights tour. We are not beach people, no ziplines, etc. We are interested in history, culture, geography. Every tour guide in Grenada will give you the tale of the American invasion in 1983. Curacao is very picturesque, very different from most Caribbean tropical islands. Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are desert islands, not tropical. EM

We have been on probably 25 or so Caribbean cruises. I can count on one hand the number of times we went to a beach and then only because the friends we were traveling with wanted a beach day. We did a mangrove swamp tour on an air boat in Belize, another boat tour in Costa Rica where we saw howler monkeys and alligators and other fauna and flora of the area . We have toured sugar and banana plantations many with interesting pasts involving pirates, buccaneers, etc. There are shops and great restaurants on just about every island. You don't have to pick specific islands to "avoid" the beach, but the suggestions made in some of the above posts are good ones. Have a great time on your cruise! :D

San Juan is a one-of-a-kind: definitely worth more than a port call - so book a cruise starting there, staying a day or so before or after, and hope to hit Aruba and Curaçao, possibly St, Maarten, maybe Key West. Most islands, other than the private "beach party" stops, have things of interest.

All of the suggestions given are very good. I suggest you ask them to do some research on the options available on the selected cruise and let them decide what they want to do based on whatever they find interesting.

;p Old San Juan is one of the best ports we have been to. We have been several times and still look forward to another visit. You can spend an entire day exploring just one of the two forts in Old San Juan. The city streets are full of old buildings that are kept mostly in good shape. We are told by people that have been to Spain that the area reminds them of Spain.

St. Thomas is another great port to just roam around, good restaurants and shops all over the place. Good site seeing tours as well. Most of the ports in the Caribbean have nice tours that do not include the water. Have fun and happy cruising.:D

Mayan ruins from Cozumel, Rain ForesT IN St. : Luc ia, Forts in San Juan, lots of shoppiing in many Caribbean ports incluidng St. maareten and St. Thomas, Aruba, Great fun watching the locals in Key West. :) We g traveled to San Juan on many cruises and a great many resort stays. We never tired of that port. I really like Old SanJuan.