Lots of changes at NCL...

brian99

My last cruise on NCL was in 2015 so I haven’t been on the boards in a while. Now that I'm back to plan my 2017 cruise it seems like a lot has changed since then.

Bidding system for unsold cabins.

GSC Lagoon is closed for renovations.

You can’t bring any drinks on board, except wine.

Added latitudes benefits.

Most specialty restaurants are now a la carte unless you have a dining package.

Am I missing any changes?

I said changes, not cut-backs. Considering most cabins get free drinks and specialty restaurants I think NCL is more affordable now than it was in the past.

Better choices of UDP & UBP were offered in 2015. I'll agree with CB, early 2015 was a great time for cruising NCL. 95% of the changes that have occurred since then would be considered cutbacks or takeaways. I haven't seen GSC or HC, but really not interested anyway.

I said changes, not cut-backs. Considering most cabins get free drinks and specialty restaurants I think NCL is more affordable now than it was in the past.

Keep in mind that you do pay the 18% gratuity on the value of the 'free' drink package and the 'free' specialty dinners. IMO it's worth the cost, but some folks don't realize they have to prepay those gratuities.

Better choices of UDP & UBP were offered in 2015. I'll agree with CB, early 2015 was a great time for cruising NCL. 95% of the changes that have occurred since then would be considered cutbacks or takeaways. I haven't seen GSC or HC, but really not interested anyway.
Just because you feel that 95% of the changes were negative, it doesn't mean that others feel the same what you do. And just because you are not interested in GSC or HC doesn't mean others don't feel it is a positive.

I just don't understand this pre-occupation (obsession?) with changes from one cruise to the next. DW and I usually take one TA per year. Yet we approach each cruise as a new adventure - for us to enjoy. Change can be a healthy and pleasant experience. Just ask any baby after a change of diapers. :)

As a first timer on NCL and did not have drink package(by choice), found it disturbing that all drinks on Getaway(March) were served in disposable plastic cups and glasses. I understand volume of drinks but would expect a paid drink to be in something a bit nicer than my backyard drinkware, reusable plastic even acceptable. Just my opinion and not a cruise breaker.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a first timer on NCL and did not have drink package(by choice), found it disturbing that all drinks on Getaway(March) were served in disposable plastic cups and glasses. I understand volume of drinks but would expect a paid drink to be in something a bit nicer than my backyard drinkware, reusable plastic even acceptable. Just my opinion and not a cruise breaker.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe because many of the bars on cruise ships are mobile stations where people get one and walk out on deck. Where it is wet. Water + glass = accident waiting to happen.

How do I know? We had glasses in our cabin and a fellow cruiser took their drink

Out to the poil deck, slipped and cut their hand.

Plastic works.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My last cruise on NCL was in 2015 so I haven’t been on the boards in a while. Now that I'm back to plan my 2017 cruise it seems like a lot has changed since then.

I think two of the specialty restaurants found on most ships are a la carte, Cagney's and Le Bistro. I'm working from memory but I think Teppanyaki, La Cucina, and Moderno are still a single cover charge. The sushi place is a la carte, but I think that works pretty well for sushi. The other change in dining is that when they went with a la carte, they limit passengers with the dining plan to one entree in those venues.

Other than price changes - the DSC went up a bit again - you have the changes in the last two years. They started charging a $7.95 fee for room service also (except for some limited items at breakfast). That may be new to you.

This has been addressed elsewhere, but I very rarely get drinks served in disposable cups.

Only at the pool bars, for the reasons stated above. I rarely get drinks from there, and everywhere else gives proper glasses.

I've not been on the Getaway for a couple of years, so I suppose it may be different there.

Maybe because many of the bars on cruise ships are mobile stations where people get one and walk out on deck. Where it is wet. Water + glass = accident waiting to happen.

How do I know? We had glasses in our cabin and a fellow cruiser took their drink

Out to the poil deck, slipped and cut their hand.

Plastic works.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't agree that plastic works. Most (all?) drinks tastes much better in a real glass.

I understand plastic glasses in the bars out on the pooldeck but inside it shall be real glasses!!!

hanks Brian: depending on the ship, the entertainment has been expanded; the food has improved in our opinion; the a la carte yes true, but as you can guess most that eat in the specialty dining rooms have a package of some kind.

The restrictions on bringing drinks on seems to be, pretty much cruise industry wide.

oh, probably since you are sailed there is the additional room service charge: not good for some, most are not bothered by it.

The addition of ports may be new to you. Some of the ships have just gone through renovations.

I am sure there are other minor adjustments but nothing that makes NCL anything but the same line she has alwa:halo:ys been.

This has been addressed elsewhere, but I very rarely get drinks served in disposable cups.

Only at the pool bars, for the reasons stated above. I rarely get drinks from there, and everywhere else gives proper glasses.

I've not been on the Getaway for a couple of years, so I suppose it may be different there.

I was thinking the same thing: we were on the BA a month ago and we had regular glasses when ordering at inside bar.

Agree about the changes... we were fortunate enough to be in the Haven in 2015 and 2016 and the difference in the so-called "free at sea" stuff was dramatic... especially the UDP! In May 2015, it was for every night and now it's only 3 nights for up to a 9 day cruise. Plus, they add only one more night to make it just 4 dinners for a 10+ day cruise which is ridiculous in my opinion. If you're going to be on a cruise for 2 or 3 weeks, they should include more than just 4 dinners in the UDP

Also, the current Free At Sea offer of the excursion credit is a joke... I'm deliberately holding off on booking my next cruise with NCL as I prefer the prepaid gratuities which has some value to me.

Still love cruising with NCL, but they've been underwhelming me lately.

Re: The plastic drink cups... my experience has been if you ordered a drink at an inside bar and they thought you were going to leave and go elsewhere while consuming it, that they would give you the drink in plastic. We would sit at the bar and always got glass.

Was on the Getaway in January and was always given the appropriate glasses: real glass at dinner or when seated in a bar, disposable plastic when walking up to a bar for a to-go drink.

I hate the waste, but I would hate the injuries that real glass being carried around on the pool deck and the waterfront would cause even more.

And reusable plastic cups are disgusting. A fresh plastic cup is one thing, but there is no way I would drink from plastic cups that had been used by countless random strangers and then repeatedly put through industrial dishwashers, causing them to leak chemicals and flavors into my drinks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

There really have not been very many changes at all. The GSC lagoon being closed is temporary, so doesn't really count as a change. It is not fair to say that most specialty restaurants have changed, though about 50% of them have. The added latitudes benefits are nice, but really don't impact your cruise.

The way to upgrade has changed, but that has always impacted a very small number of people. The new system gives more people an opportunity to try to upgrade their cabin.

The only real change in your list is the ban on bringing beverages on the ship.

The truth is that the more things seem to change, the more they stay the same.

Keep in mind that you do pay the 18% gratuity on the value of the 'free' drink package and the 'free' specialty dinners. IMO it's worth the cost, but some folks don't realize they have to prepay those gratuities.

Unless you book as a group ... then you do not pay.

my drinks dont last long enough to notice a change in taste from plastic vs. glass. LOL

that said, teh recycling on board is incredible. you see it in action on the behind the scenes tour. so yes, while i abhor the plastic, it does at least get recycled.

oh,probably since you are sailed there is the additional room service charge: not good for some, most are not bothered by it.

Think it is interesting that Royal Caribbean adopted NCL exact policy for room service; $7.95 except for continental breakfast.