Royal Princess - booking a cabin in a good location

Tweedy

If you have been on the Royal Princess, which area of the ship would you recommend someone booking a balcony cabin for?

Search the deck plans with these thoughts in mind.

Avoid the cabins on the top 3 decks under the sea walk. There are privacy issues and you get the sea walk's blue light all night.

Most cabins have a 9'x4' balcony, but there are a few that have larger or angled balconies.

Also search the deck plans for connecting cabins. Noise from the adjacent cabin is more noticeable through the connecting doors then with non-connecting cabins.

When the Royal first sailed there was a soot issue on some stern facing balconies, mainly full suites. Don't know for sure if this has be solved. A few years ago engineers were working on the problem. I met one on the ship.

If I were booking I would try to get in the middle of the deck!! We were on the Royal in November, had a balcony on deck 8 in the back of the ship. I never walked so much in my life. Study the deck plans, locate the elevators and happy sailing.

Also search the deck plans for connecting cabins. Noise from the adjacent cabin is more noticeable through the connecting doors then with non-connecting cabins.

Though this can be tricky. I haven't found a single deck plan that shows my upcoming cabin as being a connected cabin. But my Booking Confirmation printout says "Connects with XXXX". I will find out once I board. The cabin category and location check off all my other boxes, so I will be willing to live with the connection if it turns out to be true. But it is odd that none of the deck plans show this as a feature.

Personally I prefer Emerald deck near the forward stairs/elevators as we like to use the stairs whenever possible and this location is convenient to the Piazza, dining rooms, International café, etc. and very easy to walk up two or three flights to get to your cabin after a show or port stop.

I have also stayed on Lido deck and it is very convenient to the Horizon Court, Pools, etc. But for us the downside is that a cabin on Lido means that you need to use the elevators when coming back from a show, dinner or boarding after a port stop. As much as I like exercise this is too many flights to walk up!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We sailed her sister ship the Regal and loved our balcony cabins mid-ship Dolphin deck. They had extended balconies. We were in D428 and D424. My brother was in a deluxe balcony down the hall. I think it was D410 but can't remember for sure.

We just were in Baja 242. Its a mid forward cabin, and pretty convenient. Once on board, we discovered there was a connecting door. Ugh. However, happily, we never heard a sound. Advice, try to be as mid ship as possible. It's a long walk from one end of the ship to the other. Mid, or close to it, provides greater convenience to venues. By the time I walked to the fitness center, I didn't need to hop on the treadmill.

We always take the midship cabins near the elevator. It is easier to get to any deck or fwd or aft area.

Most often, we prefer the Marina deck.

Can you hear a lot of noise from the Lido deck above you?

This noise from the air rushing under the connecting door can be quite annoying especially if the adjoining cabin likes to sleep with their balcony door open at night. :mad:

Choose wisely, not like we did one cruise.

Though this can be tricky. I haven't found a single deck plan that shows my upcoming cabin as being a connected cabin. But my Booking Confirmation printout says "Connects with XXXX". I will find out once I board. The cabin category and location check off all my other boxes, so I will be willing to live with the connection if it turns out to be true. But it is odd that none of the deck plans show this as a feature.

I would call Princess. The deck plans on the Princess site show connecting cabins, assume you checked these.

I would call Princess. The deck plans on the Princess site show connecting cabins, assume you checked these.

Yes. both the website and the atlas. Probably a glitch somewhere. The cruise is sold out so there is no moving in any event. But as I mentioned, the location is perfectly situated for our preferences and I'm not concerned about the connecting cabin. Odds are that the people next to us will have more issues with us than we with them. (Not that we plan to be loud or rude. But we tend to be up early and out late. "Rope Drop to Closing" as they say in Disney-speak.)

• 2 weeks later...

We did a 10 day cruise on the Royal in April and we did an upsell to a minisuite to cabin M108. This is the corner forward facing balcony with the huge balcony. We loved it and for a good price I would do it again.

You need to be aware that if it's windy and when the boat is in motion it is too windy to go out there but otherwise it's a real treat

We did a 10 day cruise on the Royal in April and we did an upsell to a minisuite to cabin M108. This is the corner forward facing balcony with the huge balcony. We loved it and for a good price I would do it again.

You need to be aware that if it's windy and when the boat is in motion it is too windy to go out there but otherwise it's a real treat

We all so like M107/108. We spent 48 out of the 74 days we did on the Royal in those cabins this past season and loved it.

Always book cabin L101 (Lido deck) on Royal. HUGE balcony with sofa bed and coffee table (deluxe balcony). It is all the way forward, but not an issue with us. Love the convenience of being right on Lido deck...handy to everything. These cabins generally sell for just slightly more than an interior cabin. We're worried that Princess will come to realize that these are great cabins and the price will double! Shushhhhh! Don't tell!

Always book cabin L101 (Lido deck) on Royal. HUGE balcony with sofa bed and coffee table (deluxe balcony). It is all the way forward, but not an issue with us. Love the convenience of being right on Lido deck...handy to everything. These cabins generally sell for just slightly more than an interior cabin. We're worried that Princess will come to realize that these are great cabins and the price will double! Shushhhhh! Don't tell!

We have always felt that cabins L101/102 are the best value on the Royal/Regal. We stay in those cabins when not in M107/108.

Note: some people really don't like the front cabins because of wind and motion issues.

We have always felt that cabins L101/102 are the best value on the Royal/Regal. We stay in those cabins when not in M107/108.

Note: some people really don't like the front cabins because of wind and motion issues.

I was looking at these cabins on the Royal/Regal. Do you hear noise from the Sanctuary above you...like dragging deck chairs? Once I stayed under the pool on another cruise line and every morning (very early) I would hear them dragging the deck chairs either to set up or clean. So I was wondering if noise was an issue under the sanctuary.

I was looking at these cabins on the Royal/Regal. Do you hear noise from the Sanctuary above you...like dragging deck chairs? Once I stayed under the pool on another cruise line and every morning (very early) I would hear them dragging the deck chairs either to set up or clean. So I was wondering if noise was an issue under the sanctuary.

We agree that noise is not an issue from the sanctuary.