Loss of some Elite perks

Plant

On all out Royal trips they had DIY chocolate covered strawberries in the Horizon one afternoon if that's any consultation. We always stock up a few days worth for later in the trip. ;)

I haven't see other ships do the same.

That's nice to know, but its not the same. We rarely go to the buffet so we would probably miss them. We stopped ordering any of the stuff on formal night since the strawberries went away. I kind of miss them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

That's nice to know, but its not the same. We rarely go to the buffet so we would probably miss them. We stopped ordering any of the stuff on formal night since the strawberries went away. I kind of miss them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

We don't bother with ordering anything either. Nothing that's remaining is worth much.

Funny thing is I know they do have better appetizers. We've had some at one of the MTP events.;)

We also stopped ordering when the chocolate covered strawberries went away. What they currently have is not very good.

They similar to the appetizers they used to have at the Captains repeater parties, which were not good either. :( I could never understand eating them since it only ruins you appetite for a decent meal on a formal night.

We also stopped ordering when the chocolate covered strawberries went away. What they currently have is not very good.

We also stopped going to the wine tasting when they quit giving out the glasses. I imagine a lot of people also did although I haven't been there in a while to see how crowded it is.

Just spent 21 days on Coral to Van Couver, seven days

on the Star to Denali, and back to Van on the Island. We have the Black card. Laundry was two days for return through the

whole cruise. Must be better cabin stewards. As for clothes, had

sunshine all the way to Denali and back to Anchorage, then

the Gods got angry and cold and rain until Van. Still two days

back with the clothes. Plenty of Black cards on board. Go figure.

We also stopped going to the wine tasting when they quit giving out the glasses. I imagine a lot of people also did although I haven't been there in a while to see how crowded it is.

Last time we went, it was so crowded that we wished we hadn't gone. It was way too noisy to hear what the sommeliers (if that is who they are) were saying.

They made all the elite passengers wait in line to enter and allowed the paying customers in to be seated first. I understand that but then we had horrible seating ... way in back and around the corner behind a waiter prep station so couldn't even see what was going on either. And yes, no more cute glasses .... I was trying to get the entire collection but no more. :(

Not that big of a deal either way but will probably just skip it next time around.

Last time we went, it was so crowded that we wished we hadn't gone. It was way too noisy to hear what the sommeliers (if that is who they are) were saying.

They made all the elite passengers wait in line to enter and allowed the paying customers in to be seated first. I understand that but then we had horrible seating ... way in back and around the corner behind a waiter prep station so couldn't even see what was going on either. And yes, no more cute glasses .... I was trying to get the entire collection but no more. :(

Not that big of a deal either way but will probably just skip it next time around.

Most of out time attending in the past were in the Caribbean & they were never overcrowded. There was always room for dozens more people.

Where was you last wine tasting?

The loss of sommeliers is a Princess loss not an elite one. I miss being able to learn about wine. I'd find something on a flight and the trainee at Vines (the true $ommelier worked the dining room) would suggest other wines. They could create a custom flight then you could further narrow down what you like. The rum slingers they have now wouldn't know decent wine from mad dog! I've asked 2 what their favorite wine was just to be told they don't like wine. Princess might as well gut Vines and put in a decent micro-brew pub.

Sorry, back to laundry - the most enjoyed and hated elite perk.

The loss of sommeliers is a Princess loss not an elite one. I miss being able to learn about wine. I'd find something on a flight and the trainee at Vines (the true $ommelier worked the dining room) would suggest other wines. They could create a custom flight then you could further narrow down what you like. The rum slingers they have now wouldn't know decent wine from mad dog! I've asked 2 what their favorite wine was just to be told they don't like wine. Princess might as well gut Vines and put in a decent micro-brew pub.

Sorry, back to laundry - the most enjoyed and hated elite perk.

Please, no.

I personally enjoy the Vines venue. It's comfortable, and I like the little noshes that they offer. I don't need a barman or a Somm in order to choose a wine. I agree that the Vines personnel that I have met have minimal wine training/knowledge. They know enough to pass on old wine mythologies. I'm OK with that. I can read a wine list and decide what I want.

As another aside, I, too, have given up on the wine tastings that are offered in the dining rooms on sea days. When I started sailing on Princess cruises, I was very excited to go to them. I thought this would be a great way to meet fellow wine geeks.

Nope. On at least two occasions we sat down at at table introduced ourselves and found out that the person sitting next to me did not like wine.

???????????:confused::confused::confused:

I did not say this, but each time I thought to myself, "Let me see if I understand this. You paid $25 to do something that you don't enjoy doing."

One time I almost hit paydirt. At my table was a couple who not only enjoyed wine, they were vineyardists from Washington. This was cool, and I enjoyed chatting with them. They have an interesting model in that they grow grapes to the specifications of contracted wine makers. I have since learned that this is not an uncommon business practice.

As luck would have it, at the same table was a guy that I recognized from a couple visits to the dining room. He would dominate his table and made a big deal about calling the Somm over to his table and engaging him about the big wine decision of the evening. OK, fair enough. Here we are sitting at this table tasting wines (I'm pretty sure this was the $9 tasting event.) and this guy polls the table, "Have you ever been to wine country?"

"Huh? These people live in wine country. They own vineyards."

He started backpedaling, "Yeah, but you know what I meant. . . ."

His voice trailed off. I'm not really exactly sure what he meant, but my guess is that his definition of wine country is Napa Valley, California.

One of the last wines we tasted was a Cabernet Sauvignon. This being the $9 tasting, you know it was not the primo Cabernet Sauvignon offering from their wine list. Mr. Expert then proclaims, "Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon is the best wine you can get."

OK, Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon, either the Napa Valley or the Alexander Valley bottling, is a very good wine. It's not as good as it's price, but it has a following. So, they can charge what they do. The idea that any one wine is the "best" is just dumb.

Yes, I am a wine snob. I also know that I can't fix stupid.

Please, no.

I personally enjoy the Vines venue. It's comfortable, and I like the little noshes that they offer. I don't need a barman or a Somm in order to choose a wine. I agree that the Vines personnel that I have met have minimal wine training/knowledge. They know enough to pass on old wine mythologies. I'm OK with that. I can read a wine list and decide what I want.

On other cruises we have stopped in at Vines once or twice. We were on a 31 day cruise on the Crown this past winter and had the AIBP promo so Vines became our go-to post trivia, pre getting dressed for cocktails (in the Adagio) :) and dinner, spot. The waitress, while not a Sommelier, was knowledgeable and personable. Probably because we had the AIBP she had us try various wines including some not on the menu. Our only complaint was that it was sometimes too crowded to find a seat since some folks staked out tables without ever ordering anything to drink.

On other cruises we have stopped in at Vines once or twice. We were on a 31 day cruise on the Crown this past winter and had the AIBP promo so Vines became our go-to post trivia, pre getting dressed for cocktails (in the Adagio) :) and dinner, spot. The waitress, while not a Sommelier, was knowledgeable and personable. Probably because we had the AIBP she had us try various wines including some not on the menu.

That is awesome. Getting a server who goes above and beyond adds so much to the experience.

Our only complaint was that it was sometimes too crowded to find a seat since some folks staked out tables without ever ordering anything to drink.

It's annoying, but it comes with the territory. It happens in every venue on the ship. There is no requirement to "pay for your seat," and I actually think that is a good policy.

Great story, Capriccio. Thank you.

I skipped a lot of pages.

Back to laundry: We did a 21 day trans atlantic cruise and there were almost 1000 elites. Laundry return was 5-7 days. Some Aussie friends on the cruise paid for their laundry and it was always back the next day.

If there are too many elites, priority tendering may be suspended. Just be prepared to line up with the rest.

Back to laundry: We did a 21 day trans atlantic cruise and there were almost 1000 elites. Laundry return was 5-7 days. Some Aussie friends on the cruise paid for their laundry and it was always back the next day.

If there are too many elites, priority tendering may be suspended. Just be prepared to line up with the rest.

This has become a problem on Princess. When we cruise on HAL (where we also get free laundry) the norm is that laundry is back the following day! This even happens on long Grand Cruises when perhaps 75% of the ship qualifies for free laundry. But when we get on a Princess ship there is usually a notice in our cabin that laundry will take 3 days! We get the feeling they are trying to discourage all the Elites from using their benefit. Real bummer.

Hank

We were on Regal TA in April. All laundry back no later than two, often the next day. Plenty of elites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On other cruises we have stopped in at Vines once or twice. We were on a 31 day cruise on the Crown this past winter and had the AIBP promo so Vines became our go-to post trivia, pre getting dressed for cocktails (in the Adagio) :) and dinner, spot. The waitress, while not a Sommelier, was knowledgeable and personable. Probably because we had the AIBP she had us try various wines including some not on the menu. Our only complaint was that it was sometimes too crowded to find a seat since some folks staked out tables without ever ordering anything to drink.

we found on the emerald when the IC cafe was full people would take all the tables for there coffee and tea and there was nowhere to sit for people that wanted to drink in vines.

[/color]

we found on the emerald when the IC cafe was full people would take all the tables for there coffee and tea and there was nowhere to sit for people that wanted to drink in vines.

If I recall correctly, doesn't Vines have it's own dedicated seating area?

If I recall correctly, doesn't Vines have it's own dedicated seating area?

And that is the problem -- while Vines has its own seating area there is no way to keep non-Vines customers out of the area. It isn't like a specialty restaurant where you are seated by a host and the staff in Vines doesn't seem to have the authority to ask people not ordering wine to move on.

And that is the problem -- while Vines has its own seating area there is no way to keep non-Vines customers out of the area. It isn't like a specialty restaurant where you are seated by a host and the staff in Vines doesn't seem to have the authority to ask people not ordering wine to move on.

I've never eaten or drank anything in Vines but I don't how sharing seating between the IC & Vines causes any problems. I hardly ever sit there to drink coffee except in the very early morning when there's no one around.

This has become a problem on Princess..when we get on a Princess ship there is usually a notice in our cabin that laundry will take 3 days! We get the feeling they are trying to discourage all the Elites from using their benefit. Real bummer.

Hank

+++1

We just got off the CB a couple of weeks ago, and when we boarded the cabin steward flat out lied to us, and said that laundry would take at least 3 days because there was more than a 1000 elites onboard (?????) I knew 100% that couldn't possibly be true, and sure enough on the last day when we received the "log of the cruise" it listed only 197 elite's

And yes, the laundry averaged 3-4 days, so something is definitely afoot with the elite laundry benefits ( Btw.. the laundry form only lists 2 options --- "Standard next service" & "Rush same day" --- Nowhere is there a 3-4 day return option :mad:)

Srpilo