Interesting comparison Celebrity/Princess

Josie2

I am Elite in both lines, and probably have a slight preference for Celebrity. That said, Princess has a one day sale today for a $1 deposit on future bookings. I have two Princess cruises booked but am looking for a 10 day Caribbean cruise for November 2018. I booked today on the Crown Princess, a premium balcony, total cost is about $5480 Canadian for the cabin. No extra perks included. I plan to watch prices and perks sales and lock in when I see a deal I like.

Checked Celebrity tonight and I can get a 10 night on the Reflection in a sunset veranda with drink pkg and $300 obc for the same price.

I thought that was interesting as I had always paid more on Celebrity. I will be watching both carefully, and hoping Celebrity comes out with a $25 deposit offer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You can never get too comfortable with a cruise line...things change by the minute. Sounds like a better deal; I enjoy the Reflection!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am coming to grips with that reality! :loudcry: I really like Celebrity and Royal, but a number of changes has me wondering if we need to at least try Princess and HAL again. DW really likes one of Princess itineraries and for us that is becoming the deciding factor if price is close. We tend to not use the Captains Club or Crown and Anchor benefits anyway other than evening drinks and if we have drinks package, don't see us using that.

I am Elite in both lines, and probably have a slight preference for Celebrity. That said, Princess has a one day sale today for a $1 deposit on future bookings. I have two Princess cruises booked but am looking for a 10 day Caribbean cruise for November 2018. I booked today on the Crown Princess, a premium balcony, total cost is about $5480 Canadian for the cabin. No extra perks included. I plan to watch prices and perks sales and lock in when I see a deal I like.

Checked Celebrity tonight and I can get a 10 night on the Reflection in a sunset veranda with drink pkg and $300 obc for the same price.

I thought that was interesting as I had always paid more on Celebrity. I will be watching both carefully, and hoping Celebrity comes out with a $25 deposit offer.

I think they raised the prices for this promotion, so look for the prices to go back down over time.

You can go wrong with the princess offer. It costs $100 to cancel that cruise you booked with a $1 deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only if you also booked the red, white and blue sale. This is not on that offer.

We've had the opposite experience in terms of cost! It really pays to always watch your prices on both lines. We love Princess, but for the same price on a Mediterranean itinerary we chose Celebrity as we got drink pkg and 300 obc. Had we gone with Princess we would have had a healthy bar bill plus tips to pay for! :eek: Found out we actually enjoyed the Celebrity experience. :ship: The next cruise we took was also Celebrity as it was less expensive than Princess.

.....my momma told me, ya better shop around.....:cool:

What I really find intriguing is even if the deposit is small, you still end up paying for it in the end.:confused: Reduced deposits is not something I use as criteria for booking a cruise.

It could just be a cash flow issue - not having your money locked up in a deposit, the ability to hold something, and the flexibility to cancel if something better appears....?

What I really find intriguing is even if the deposit is small, you still end up paying for it in the end.:confused: Reduced deposits is not something I use as criteria for booking a cruise.

True, but when one has several cruises booked at one time, the $1 pp deposit helps us by not having to be out of pocket hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could just be a cash flow issue - not having your money locked up in a deposit, the ability to hold something, and the flexibility to cancel if something better appears....?

That's the problem. People book and tie up staterooms because they're unsure if they want to do the cruise. It's not good for those of us who book because we're sincere about the itinerary. I've seen people post they have x amount of cruises booked and will decide if they want to take them. Granted, there are truly valid reasons why some people cancel. I think in the future, if this continues, we'll all get charged a cancellation fee.

True, but when one has several cruises booked at one time, the $1 pp deposit helps us by not having to be out of pocket hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's fine...but don you actually take all the cruises you book?

Most likely. I would do the same if I had a particular cruise in mind. But I had none to add to my pending cruise.

[emoji106] agree!

That's the problem. People book and tie up staterooms because they're unsure if they want to do the cruise. It's not good for those of us who book because we're sincere about the itinerary. I've seen people post they have x amount of cruises booked and will decide if they want to take them. Granted, there are truly valid reasons why some people cancel. I think in the future, if this continues, we'll all get charged a cancellation fee.

I only book cruises I intend to take. But I'm not ready to tie up $900 for 20 months and I'm only willing to take this cruise if the price comes down. We sail the Caribbean every November for 10-14 days. I won't pay $500 per day. But now I have a prime cabin booked, and when a sale comes I'm happy with I will lock in with a "true" deposit then. I viewed this $1 deposit offer almost like a hold, but lasts longer than 24 hours.

Here's my take based on our own preferences. We love the FREE solarium on Celebrity vs. having to pay for the Sanctuary on Princess. We love sea days and sitting with a good book in a comfy lounger. Also we have received better perks on Celebrity therefore making the total price much less on Celebrity.

I've cruised both, plus RCI and HAL. Like them all and all 4 are a good fit for us. D+ on RCI and Elite on Princess. Anymore I use my big box warehouse club's travel website to search for the time and destination. I filter for these four lines and then I can compare to see who has the best deal and I can compare the OBCs as well.

I was doing such a search a few years ago to get to Europe for some land based travel. HAL popped up with a TA at the right time and the right price. It was our first HAL cruise and I wouldn't have found it if I had my cruise line blinders on.

With the wiz kids always fiddling with the cruise line websites, the warehouse club's site works just fine for me.

I only book cruises I intend to take. But I'm not ready to tie up $900 for 20 months and I'm only willing to take this cruise if the price comes down. We sail the Caribbean every November for 10-14 days. I won't pay $500 per day. But now I have a prime cabin booked, and when a sale comes I'm happy with I will lock in with a "true" deposit then. I viewed this $1 deposit offer almost like a hold, but lasts longer than 24 hours.

Princess prices tend to go down as the cruise gets closer.

I wouldn't assume that discrepancy will remain the same as the cruise gets closer.

You can go wrong with the princess offer. It costs $100 to cancel that cruise you booked with a $1 deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only if you also booked the red, white and blue sale. This is not on that offer.

Not true. I booked the RWB sale with $1 deposit. I was told that the IT department didn't change the the wording since it was only a one day offer on the reduced deposit. I will only lose $2 if I cancel.

I am also watching Celebrity for a similar itinerary should a better incentive come along.