Awful Celebrity airport transfer at YVR

Maligator

When we flew out of Vancouver we hired a van via a limo service. It worked very well. I THINK it was Star Limo service. Not cheap but really fast and stress free.

The Vancouver airport is one of my very least favorite airports. Just one line after another. The luggage check in process was rediculous!

Just curious as to how the luggage check-in at YVR differs from other airports?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your experience in Tampa has absolutely NOTHING to do with the OP's Vancouver experience. Especially since Vancouver doesn't have Uber and last time I checked, was in a different country.

I didn't mean to imply that it did. Just that people were outright dismissing Uber as an option when I had a really good experience with it. I didn't know Uber isn't available in Vancouver but it certainly is in many cities OP and others reading this thread may travel to in the future so outright dismissing Uber may be limiting their options unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just did this same trip but a few days earlier to board the Solstice just a couple of days earlier (May 17th vs May 21st). I only knew this because we originally booked the Millie but switched over to the Solstice prior to final payment. I little research ahead of time saved us not only money but a lot of hassle.

We arrived at YVR, grabbed our luggage and went straight to the taxi line .... maybe 4 carloads were ahead of us. The flat rate is $35 or $40 CAD so were told it was much closer to $27 - $28 in US dollars per car load and some taxis will fit up to 5 passengers. We figured $35 US was fair for the two of us, probably would have even been fair for a party of four. This is much cheaper than the Celebrity transfers and no waiting for others to load up.

In the car we were assigned to, there was plenty of room for not only the two of us and our luggage but definitely room for at least one or two more passengers. We don't pack heavy but still each had one carry on piece and one large suitcase between the two of us. Ours was a nine night cruise vs a five night cruise on the Millie.

This site is a wealth of information and with a minimal amount of research, this hassle could have all been avoided. We learned of the flat rate cab rates and also that Vancouver does not yet have Uber or Lyft available. We also learned that the cruiseline transfers were not a great option and the SkyTrain was also not a good option with a lot of luggage.

We did hit all the same construction zones as the OP but were dropped off at the proper area in the underground area at Canada Place / Pan Pacific. There were three ships in port when we were dropped off and it was relatively seamless as far as getting to the port and dropping off our luggage with the porters. The delays happened well after that, but still, I do not place any of the blame on Celebrity ... it was the port of Vancouver at Canada Place that dropped the ball with having only 2 US immigration officers for approx 7K passengers. The check in and embarkation process was crazy .... transportation was the easy part.

The delays happened well after that, but still, I do not place any of the blame on Celebrity ... it was the port of Vancouver at Canada Place that dropped the ball with having only 2 US immigration officers for approx 7K passengers. The check in and embarkation process was crazy .... transportation was the easy part.

It's my understanding that the US Customs and Immigration Services decides on the numbers and assigns its officers and that the port has no control over the situation. This isn't any different than the situation in Port Everglades and other US ports, when on a busy day with several ships in port there is sometimes a shortage of agents on duty.

It's my understanding that the US Customs and Immigration Services decides on the numbers and assigns its officers and that the port has no control over the situation. This isn't any different than the situation in Port Everglades and other US ports, when on a busy day with several ships in port there is sometimes a shortage of agents on duty.

This makes sense ...

I will revise that the US Customs and Immigration Services really dropped the ball. There was definitely a shortage of agents on duty!!! I was more or less commenting that the staffing at the port was not the fault of Celebrity. It wasn't ... but it was pretty dreadful. We were lucky as it only took us about 3 hours to check in, go through security and then through immigration before embarking. Some people reported it took them up to 6 hours. But, by the time that first glass of champagne was handed to me, that experience was all in the rear view mirror and I was on to enjoying my cruise.

The delays happened well after that, but still, I do not place any of the blame on Celebrity ... it was the port of Vancouver at Canada Place that dropped the ball with having only 2 US immigration officers for approx 7K passengers. The check in and embarkation process was crazy .... transportation was the easy part.

Please stop blaming the port of Vancouver for the shortage of US customs officers. Their numbers are decided by the US and the port of Vancouver can do nothing about that. Hope you enjoyed your cruise otherwise.

Just curious as to how the luggage check-in at YVR differs from other airports?

First we had to wait in line at a self service terminal to check in and get our luggage tags. We had been traveling for 2 and a half weeks so needless to say we had a lot of luggage. The tag printer ran out so we had to get someone to come and refill it then start the whole process all over again because the computer timed out our session. Then we had to drag our luggage to the end end of the departures hall and stand in another line to actually turn over our luggage. With a party of 6 and 2 of them being over 80, it was very difficult. On top of that you then had to clear airport security and then USA Customs. It was the longest most arduous flight check in process I had ever experienced.

We had a Celebrity transfer included in our package in Auckland last February and in the past I would say they have all been managed fairly well. This one was an exception, there we all were about two dozen of us all waiting in the hotel lobby expecting a Celebrity rep to turn up with a coach to take us to the port.

What we ended up with was a lone driver who only knew of his task some 10 minutes before he was dispatched. All he had was a list of names with a start point and a finishing point. What’s wrong with that you ask? Well he was driving a single storey city bus for 51 passengers.

It didn’t take long to fill said bus and as a result 7 of us had to wait another 40 minutes for him to come back and get us. He had no idea we would all have cases with us and was very surprised when he discovered what was actually needing doing.

Modern Luxury!!! :')

33594467301_1e63b1e69d_o.jpg?resize=1000%2C750&ssl=1

First we had to wait in line at a self service terminal to check in and get our luggage tags. We had been traveling for 2 and a half weeks so needless to say we had a lot of luggage. The tag printer ran out so we had to get someone to come and refill it then start the whole process all over again because the computer timed out our session. Then we had to drag our luggage to the end end of the departures hall and stand in another line to actually turn over our luggage. With a party of 6 and 2 of them being over 80, it was very difficult. On top of that you then had to clear airport security and then USA Customs. It was the longest most arduous flight check in process I had ever experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the Original Poster:

You paid for a door to door comfortable transfer from the airport to the ship. Celebrity did not deliver on their end of the bargain.

I don't believe the ship's crew is at fault, as I think it's the land based personnel that made this (IMO) egregious error in judgment. Also, they (not you) should have bypassed this particular driver as he clearly didn't instill any sense of confidence in the provider that he knew what end was up.

My sympathies that your trip started off so poorly. Celebrity is at fault, they should take responsibility and you should receive compensation for your damages (in this case there is a rather long list).

As for the other posted replies, I have no doubt you also had miserable transfers however, the circumstances in case are quite different.

Oh dear, that does sound unfortunate. On the plus side, when you arrived at the other end, it was all done already so you could just collect your bags and go home!

Oh dear, that does sound unfortunate. On the plus side, when you arrived at the other end, it was all done already so you could just collect your bags and go home!

It wasn't the end of the world but I question the logic of that airport. YMMV

It wasn't the end of the world but I question the logic of that airport. YMMV

I've had this experience at dozens of airports worldwide: get your tags in one place and then wheel your bags to another and then go through security. I have only flown out of Canada a handful of times but US Customs was always before departure. So, this isn't limited to Vancouver; other than Customs, you do the same exact thing at National here in DC. The only thing unusual in your tale is that the tag printer ran out of paper.

Please stop blaming the port of Vancouver for the shortage of US customs officers. Their numbers are decided by the US and the port of Vancouver can do nothing about that. Hope you enjoyed your cruise otherwise.

Please read the post above yours ... it was written hours prior to your posting.

I agree with the post that says this is an issue with the land based team. We live in Vancouver and (ahem) never travel light for our cruises. When we arrive home at the airport we ask the cab line attendant for a van and cab service calls one up for us. Your Celebrity arrival agent should have done that.

Vancouver city council has a very strong political commitment to environmental issues and has strongly supported the move to hybrid vehicles. The cab companies have found the Prius vehicles very economical but they are small. There are always vans available even if not visible in the cab line.

Equally, it is hard to believe the cabbie didn't know how to get to the cruise terminal and didn't know the process. I am really sorry to hear you had to drag your bags a distance. The entrance to the cruise is through the car park under the Pan Pacific hotel. There is always an attendant at the parkade entrance when there are cruise ships loading/unloading and all the cabbie has to say is that he is taking in cruise passengers, you go right inside to an area where the porters are taking the luggage for the cruise.

One feedback to anyone who has a similar issue, ask the cabbie to call dispatch for directions.

I hope this didn't affect your perception of Vancouver. This is not the first thread I have seem regarding airport transfer issues with Celebrity in Vancouver and I find it very concerning. I want you all to have the best time ever in my home town!

Please read the post above yours ... it was written hours prior to your posting.

If that poster has you blocked, they may not have seen your post. Also, for me, your post is at the end of page 1, so it might have been skipped.

I wonder if the OP's cabbie was really the owner of the medallion (or license or whatever system Vancouver uses). We had that issue in DC with friends and relatives of the real driver driving a cab to keep it in operation for more hours per day. I find it really hard to believe that anyone with even a passing familiarity with Vancouver would not know where the cruise ships were since it's such a prominent space. Not to mention the gigantic convention center in the same spot.

Does Celebrity have luggage valet for Vancouver like for the Caribbean cruises?

Absolutely not. Would likely not work considering most passengers must go through U.S. customs at Vancouver airport prior to boarding plane.

We are currently onboard Millennium. FYI Celebrity charges $30 PER PERSON for the transfer to/from the airport. They also have a free luggage service if your outbound flight is between 12 and 4 PM. Put it outside your door and dont see it until the airport.

We used a taxi coming in. It was a Prius V. Absolutely HUGE luggage capacity. I was shocked. Three of us each with the largest suitcase sold in any US department store plus a backpack each. All three on their sides slid in length wise next to each other. About 2X the cargo capacity of the current Lexus RX350.

We were fortunate that the Millennium was the only ship in port on May 26. No delays at the port.

Does Celebrity have luggage valet for Vancouver like for the Caribbean cruises?

I don't believe luggage valet is in operation outside of the US. Celebrity only has it for Ft Lauderdale, Miami and Seattle since they re-instituted it a few months back.

If that poster has you blocked, they may not have seen your post. Also, for me, your post is at the end of page 1, so it might have been skipped.

I don't think that was the case because he was responding to my post ... so had to have seen it.

I don't believe luggage valet is in operation outside of the US. Celebrity only has it for Ft Lauderdale, Miami and Seattle since they re-instituted it a few months back.

They have a thing called "Direct to Bus" on the Millennium in Vancouver. I have the sheet in my hand. Flight must leave between 12:30 and 4:00 PM the day of disembarkation. Luggage is left outside the cabin and collected at the airport. You still have to check it in with the airline at the airport. At least you know it made it to the airport as opposed to if the luggage valet program messes up and you dont find out until arriving at your home airport.

They have a thing called "Direct to Bus" on the Millennium in Vancouver. I have the sheet in my hand. Flight must leave between 12:30 and 4:00 PM the day of disembarkation. Luggage is left outside the cabin and collected at the airport. You still have to check it in with the airline at the airport. At least you know it made it to the airport as opposed to if the luggage valet program messes up and you dont find out until arriving at your home airport.

Awesome!! I am glad to hear about this although I really do love the Luggage Valet service for other reasons. I suppose that is because I have never had Luggage Valet mess up before for me, but I have heard that it does happen. I guess it is just one more step where things can go wrong. Thankfully, for me it hasn't. Plus, I don't have to worry about my luggage being a couple pounds overweight.