Bermuda with Kids - Passports?

fiftyguy

Hi

I'll be traveling with my three grandkids to Bermuda later this month. What do I use for ID getting back on the ship with a 8, 6 and 3 year old? I would rather not use their passports if possible. I know I'll need their key cards. Is that enough?

Thank you!

Hi

I'll be traveling with my three grandkids to Bermuda later this month. What do I use for ID getting back on the ship with a 8, 6 and 3 year old? I would rather not use their passports if possible. I know I'll need their key cards. Is that enough?

Thank you!

Key cards will be fine, keep the passports in the safe

Hi

Thank you!

The children do not need any special ID to return to the ship. Their ship card is sufficient. You should take a photo ID, such as your DL, which is only used to get back inside the secure area of the port (children with an adult do not need ID) , and it is not always required. To return to the ship itself all anyone needs is their ship card.

Cruise passengers do not need a photo ID if you are under 16. Their key is all you need to get off and on the ship. Adults might need their DL...and it's always good for adults to have ID on them. What if something were to happen...your ship's key will NOT tell anyone who you are!

I always bring at least copies of passports when I leave the ship in a foreign country. In the event something happens and you don't make it back to the ship, at least you have the information you will need.

Anyone know the deal with a 16-year-old who doesn't have a driver's license yet? Do we need to carry his passport or is a photocopy okay?

You need to carry a government issued ID. If the 16 year old does not yet have a drivers license or learners permit, it would be appropriate to obtain a state issued ID card.

The children absolutely DO need a photo ID to get back on the ship. I had to return to the ship to get my son's ID and had to leave him on the dock with security. He was traumatized. I got back on the ship and grabbed his passport and returned to get him. So yes- every passenger DOES have to have a photo ID.

We just cruised to Bermuda on the Breakaway with our DD, DSIL and two granddaughters- 3 yrs and 7 months. We only needed the ship's keycard for the children to enter the secure area at the dock (and to enter the ship itself). All adults needed a photo-ID, which was thoroughly scrutinized and compared to our faces and to the ship's keycard every time.

On one occasion, we overheard a father with two teen boys having some issue with this policy while trying to enter the secure area. From what we heard (obviously incomplete), the Bermudian officer at the dock did not believe that the boys were under 16 yrs old. To me, the boys could have been older; they were tall and stocky- just like the father. In my opinion, if your child (boy or girl) could look older than 16 to a stranger, I suggest taking an ID. The OP, with the oldest 8, should not have this problem.

The children absolutely DO need a photo ID to get back on the ship. I had to return to the ship to get my son's ID and had to leave him on the dock with security. He was traumatized. I got back on the ship and grabbed his passport and returned to get him. So yes- every passenger DOES have to have a photo ID.

Bermuda? How old are kids? Other than ship card our kids under 16 have never needed a key card so NO that is not the case. If they did require it there must be something else in play here.

Children under age 16 who are US citizens don't need photo ID, much less a passport to take a closed loop cruise to Bermuda. I have seen what you describe happen a couple of times, and in at least one case a supervisor was needed to intervene and correct the person insisting on seeing a passport or ID.

They can't request documentation you're not required to have, but sometimes you run into someone who doesn't know the rules.

In Bermuda my daughter had a problem getting back on the ship with her daughter. They have different last names and they questioned my granddaughter thoroughly to make sure that was her mom. Now we bring a copy of her birth certificate showing the relationship. Bermuda was the only port this happened in itshe always has that copy with her on every cruise.

Was this in Bermuda??? The OP is asking about Bermuda.