Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

45 minutes ago, leishirsute said:

With complimentary or self-service laundry available for the Viking Ocean Cruises, how much close should I pack for a 15 day trip?  On the Grand European River Cruise, I overpacked.  Should packing for 1 week be good enough?  Are the launderettes usually available or is there usually a waiting line?

Depends on how you dress, what your weather variability is, and many other factors.

55 minutes ago, leishirsute said:

Are the launderettes usually available or is there usually a waiting line?

The answer to this one is "yes." Each cruise has its own vibe, so there is really no such thing as "usually" to describe things that are passenger-driven. This includes: how full the MDR and buffet are at any given time of the evening, how long the line to be seated in the MDR is when it opens and how many people are choosing to sit down at 8pm, which tours fill up first and how many people are using the launderette at any given time.

It has taken us a long time to learn how to pack for travel, and we still are learning.  One thing that we have learned is that it depends on how many days before and after the cruise we will be traveling to determine how many outfits we need. Usually we pack clothing for 5 days and we make use of the laundry service for everything except sox and undies (which we each do in the shower using shampoo as detergent). I use the launderette sparingly, especially on a trip with no sea days. I'm on vacation; I do not want to spend time doing laundry and/or ironing.

We plan on one outfit per day as opposed to two. Everything we take can be worn day or evening (except for jeans which are not permitted in the MDR, Manfredi's or Chef's Table).  Fortunately, there are no formal nights on board, so DH does not pack a sports coat or a tie -- even if we have theater/concert tickets.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

There are four per floor. The detergent is automatically added. 

Just to clarify: the detergent is added automatically as long as you deal with the gizmo on the wall properly. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Can you tell me how many washers and dryers there are in the launderette? Do they provide detergent?

The detergent is automatically delivered to the washer....however, you must push the button which is not on the washing machine. A newbie mistake is thinking that detergent is added without having to do something....I may know that from doing my first load of laundry😆.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

There are four per floor. The detergent is automatically added. 

Depends on the ship. They newer ones have 4. We were on the Sky recently and most had 3 each, but the 4th floor was closed for a week and when it opened there were 4 machines. They are probably in the midst of a retrofit.

Others have reported some ships now have combined washer/dryers which tends to back everything up because a) they take forever to dry and b) when drying, fewer washers are available.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Depends on the ship. They newer ones have 4. We were on the Sky recently and most had 3 each, but the 4th floor was closed for a week and when it opened there were 4 machines. They are probably in the midst of a retrofit.

Others have reported some ships now have combined washer/dryers which tends to back everything up because a) they take forever to dry and b) when drying, fewer washers are available.

Now that sounds like a project for this forum: a survey of launderettes fleet-wide.

• Haha 2

Another newbie question (sorry!). I have booked a cruise and can see the excursions and I know that I won’t be able to book them until x number of days before the cruise, but I can’t see prices anywhere. What’s the deal with that?

4 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Another newbie question (sorry!). I have booked a cruise and can see the excursions and I know that I won’t be able to book them until x number of days before the cruise, but I can’t see prices anywhere. What’s the deal with that?

Common practice on the cruise lines I've used.  You'll see them in time, with prices, but I forget what timeframe is typical.

25 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

What’s the deal with that?  Easy:  DEMAND > SUPPLY = PRICE INFLATION.

Unfortunately, and particularly since COVID, this is a common practice now with any cruise line that offers paid excursions.

The reason is that so many tour operators and guides left the business in 2020-2022 and only now are things gradually ramping back up to meet demand.   (also likely a part of the reason the quality of tours offered has been described as poorer than before).  When demand exceeds supply, as is currently the case, prices go up.  As such you will not find prices until you are ready to book.  Best case:  ask someone on your Cruise Critic Roll call who has a suite to send out to everyone the prices and list of excursions.  (Not sure where you are seeing an excursion list - if MVJ OK, but if just on Viking's web site, those are just examples of what's been offered in the past and are not indicative of what they may be able to procure for your specific cruise).  

One more affect of COVID!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Hopefully well before the booking date!

Usually about 120 days before embarkation.  Covid changed this, but for the most part Viking us back to that timeframe, at least for the two cruises I’ve done this year.  They will list prices and also times.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

What you see on the Viking website are potential tours.  Not all the tours shown are offered on every cruise for varying reasons (out of season, site closed the day you are there, etc.)  The tours for your sailing along with prices will be available for viewing on MyVikingJourney.com about 120 days before departure. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Search on the cruise name—often someone has shared pricing and excursions from an earlier cruise.  Just keep in mind that excursions and prices can change.  The excursions with prices for our July homelands cruise were posted about 100 days out.  I had plenty of time to plan as I couldn’t book until 67 days out.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

What you see on the Viking website are potential tours.  Not all the tours shown are offered on every cruise for varying reasons (out of season, site closed the day you are there, etc.)  The tours for your sailing along with prices will be available for viewing on MyVikingJourney.com about 120 days before departure. 

Viking has explained "the pricing and excursions do vary by sailing. We do not offer the same excursions for every sailing which is why we do not finalize them until closer to departure. "

4 minutes ago, Spurlady said:

Search on the cruise name—often someone has shared pricing and excursions from an earlier cruise.  Just keep in mind that excursions and prices can change.  The excursions with prices for our July homelands cruise were posted about 100 days out.  I had plenty of time to plan as I couldn’t book until 67 days out.  

Thanks. I’m hoping that we will be happy with at least some of the included ones!

1 minute ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks. I’m hoping that we will be happy with at least some of the included ones!

Viking explained that they can email general excursion pricing. "It will show the excursions we are currently offering for this itinerary with pricing. I just mean that this is what we usually offer but they may vary. "

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 5:04 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

It depends on the category of cabin you chose.  Higher categories get to choose first.  Viking should have told you somewhere in your documentation when you will be able to choose. 

Pro tip (don't tell anyone!):  I noticed that if the excursions are supposed to open at a particular time, say 3pm Eastern, they seemed to come online an hour or 2 earlier.  Shhhhhh.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, bl1ntze said:

It depends on the category of cabin you chose.  Higher categories get to choose first.  Viking should have told you somewhere in your documentation when you will be able to choose. 

Pro tip (don't tell anyone!):  I noticed that if the excursions are supposed to open at a particular time, say 3pm Eastern, they seemed to come online an hour or 2 earlier.  Shhhhhh.....

ALL of our cruises (over 10) have released excursions exactly at the time advertised.

Maybe we were just lucky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2023 at 12:01 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

Combined washer dryers are horrible!!!  Plus I do not always want to dry everything. Hope the new ship is not this