Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

34 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

FYI If you don’t want to sit in the pool area, you can get your food and take it to the World Cafe, which is next door. Pool area can be a bit humid. Plus WC has the gelato.

Or, we often take our food from the Pool Grill onto the Aquavit. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

If you haven’t yet signed up for the specialty restaurants, where can you do that?

The easiest is usually by using the App (once on board and connected to the ship's network). If you have special requests or don't find times you want, etc., you can do it in person at the station outside the restaurant entrance.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t call Viking and ask.  My husband has an infection in a knee replacement.  They wouldn’t let us postpone the cruise, not would they let us substitute anyone for him.  If he didn’t show up they would charge $8.5K for a singles supplement, though we already paid for the room.

So then he said he would go but maybe he could bring a scooter.  They said absolutely not.  Wheelchair? No.  They told us he couldn’t even bring his walker, which they did not ask any dimensions.  We thought perhaps we misunderstood, so we had our Travel agent call and ask again about the walker.  They again said no, and now said he couldn’t board without a note from his doctor saying he could cruise.  Now it was in our records.

However, once on the cruise there were indeed folks with walkers, a few wheelchairs, and at least one electric wheelchair.  I asked one of the people with walkers if they had by chance asked about bringing one, and they said no.  

So don’t ask.  Just bring what you need.  Once onboard the crew does everything to help out.  They carried his food at the World Cafe and reserved the front seat in the coaches so he could get on.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, charmed1959 said:

I wouldn’t call Viking and ask.  My husband has an infection in a knee replacement.  They wouldn’t let us postpone the cruise, not would they let us substitute anyone for him.  If he didn’t show up they would charge $8.5K for a singles supplement, though we already paid for the room.

So then he said he would go but maybe he could bring a scooter.  They said absolutely not.  Wheelchair? No.  They told us he couldn’t even bring his walker, which they did not ask any dimensions.  We thought perhaps we misunderstood, so we had our Travel agent call and ask again about the walker.  They again said no, and now said he couldn’t board without a note from his doctor saying he could cruise.  Now it was in our records.

However, once on the cruise there were indeed folks with walkers, a few wheelchairs, and at least one electric wheelchair.  I asked one of the people with walkers if they had by chance asked about bringing one, and they said no.  

So don’t ask.  Just bring what you need.  Once onboard the crew does everything to help out.  They carried his food at the World Cafe and reserved the front seat in the coaches so he could get on.

I think we’ll bring a folding rollator with a seat. Planes carry them for free

8 hours ago, xiphoid76 said:

Super excited to be on our first Viking cruise on the Sky in just over 60 days...woohoo!  Been waiting 2 years for this trip and can not wait.  Any advice on first things to do when we get on board appreciated 🙂  

Would also enquire about wine/spirits tasting events, at GS desk, and sign up asap, if interested.  They fill quickly.  Never saw them publicized or listed in daily.

If you have SSBP (bev. pkg.), many are included.  Chargeable tastings would be discounted with pkg.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, charmed1959 said:

So don’t ask.  Just bring what you need. 

5 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

I recommend you review the Viking FAQs regarding disabilities and wheelchairs. They require you to advise them of your needs and you may need to complete Fit to Travel / Accessibility forms as appropriate.

"Don't ask - bring what you need" might work out fine.

It might also result in you being denied boarding. Ignoring cruise line terms and rules is never a good idea. 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I take my wheelchair on board, no problem. I just need to fill in the 'fit to travel' form. It's the same sort of form that most transport companies have.

The call centre staff are clueless since it was outsourced, have a look on the Viking website instead, and use the tellus@viking.com email

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/21/2023 at 5:26 PM, MamaFej said:

This may or may not be helpful. But just in case...

When we were cruising earlier this year, we met a couple, one of whom used a walker like this when not using a wheelchair. It folds to a fairly small size. I asked about it because my youngest son was about to travel to visit his big brother. I ended up buying it for him, and he loved it. He could hold it while being wheeled between gates at the airport, and he used it (semi-narrowed) to easily get down airplane aisles. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LV9GSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image.png

Thank you this may be the one does it come with a bag?

7 hours ago, Mickey111 said:

Thank you this may be the one does it come with a bag?

I don't see anything in the listing to indicate that. Some of the reviews mention hanging shopping bags from the handles. 

I do recall that there were versions with and without the smal seat. It's certainly not a comfortable seat, as some walkers have, since it collapses so small. It did work for my son for the times he needed it between wheelchair or seat times. The seat on this walker is more for leaning, as seen in the photo, than for actual, comfortable sitting. 

Hey, just off Ocean,,, Yes we did see a couple of wheelchair folks. Yes we did see a couple few walkers (Wheel with seat). No did not see the walker with just 2 wheels and no seat. They assisted the wheelchair person up and down the gangway. They carried up the chair while assisting the person walk up.  

Does that make sense? If not pm me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

Does that make sense? If not pm me. 

The Cruise Critic PM function is disabled.  It seems available because it is part of the third-party platform that hosts this community but has been disabled for all members. PM has never been a Cruise Critic feature.

Don't rely on a Viking crew person being available to help you on the steps/ramp. If they are there and not busy they often will, but they are not assigned for the purpose. There is often nobody between the security check desk in the ship and wherever the buses are. 

Plan to be independent, but don't be afraid to ask for help. 

(the italics are accidental, not emphasis. I dropped my phone and haven't yet worked out how to go back to normal type🙄

• Haha 7

On 8/24/2023 at 12:51 PM, xiphoid76 said:

Super excited to be on our first Viking cruise on the Sky in just over 60 days...woohoo!  Been waiting 2 years for this trip and can not wait.  Any advice on first things to do when we get on board appreciated 🙂  

Drink the offered glass of champagne and go to lunch.  Make additional specialty restaurant reservations if you wish.  When your stateroom is ready, unpack and watch the safety video (required) on your room TV.  Walk decks 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 exploring all the spaces and learning where things are.  OR check at Guest Services Deck 1 to see if they have ship tours for new guests.

• Like 4

On 8/24/2023 at 4:51 PM, Mickey111 said:

That is probably the best plan as bringing a "walker", cane or hiking poles do not require prior approval nor notes from doctors.  Wheelchairs and scooters do.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Drink the offered glass of champagne and go to lunch.  Make additional specialty restaurant reservations if you wish.  When your stateroom is ready, unpack and watch the safety video (required) on your room TV.  Walk decks 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 exploring all the spaces and learning where things are.  OR check at Guest Services Deck 1 to see if they have ship tours for new guests.

Excellent answer! I would only add if you want to do two “Included Excursions” on one day, add them at Guest Services as soon as you board. You may only sign up for one before you board, even if there is no time conflict.

• Like 2

I have a question 🙋‍♀️ going on my first VO cruise and was just invited to make reservations for the Chef’s Table. Limited availability on our sold out cruise AND no menus available on any of the days. So I just grabbed a time slot and am hoping for the best. BUT, I don’t eat red meat. Will they make substitutions if I give them a heads up? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I have a question 🙋‍♀️ going on my first VO cruise and was just invited to make reservations for the Chef’s Table. Limited availability on our sold out cruise AND no menus available on any of the days. So I just grabbed a time slot and am hoping for the best. BUT, I don’t eat red meat. Will they make substitutions if I give them a heads up? 

Yes, salmon.  A friend has very specific likes/dislikes and just says she does not eat lamb for example and they ask if salmon can be substituted.  Menus will be available on the day you board.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes, salmon.  A friend has very specific likes/dislikes and just says she does not eat lamb for example and they ask if salmon can be substituted.  Menus will be available on the day you board.

Thanks, I will check it out first thing. And I love salmon! Who would I talk to about making a substitution?

5 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks, I will check it out first thing. And I love salmon! Who would I talk to about making a substitution?

They have a Restaurant Desk manned all day next to Guest Services and Shore Excursions on the ground floor.  The staff there are very helpful

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

My friend just talks to the waiter when we first sit down.  Was no need to pre order.

FWIW, if you let the folks at the Chef's Table know a day or two ahead of time, you will likely get something closer to the original dish. Mike nor I eat salmon (it doesn't like us -trust me you nor the ship's housekeepers want us to eat it) so when we recently had the Norwegian menu at the Chef's table, we got cucumber two ways rather than the salmon two ways. I feel sure if we had waited until we sat down we would have gotten a shrimp cocktail or something 😂

IMG_7188.jpeg

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7185.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

When you board ask to see the menu schedule and see if you can rebook to the date of a menu you prefer. Most of the time this will not be a problem as many tables open up due to cancellations, etc. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The best tip (s) for a great Vikikg Ocean cruise?  

Ask Customer Service Questions.  When in doubt walk to customer service and ask. They are always there. 24 x 7 they say. From Coking classes, to Restaurant questions. They will locate the proper location and or answer you need. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Don't rely on a Viking crew person being available to help you on the steps/ramp. If they are there and not busy they often will, but they are not assigned for the purpose. There is often nobody between the security check desk in the ship and wherever the buses are. 

Plan to be independent, but don't be afraid to ask for help. 

(the italics are accidental, not emphasis. I dropped my phone and haven't yet worked out how to go back to normal type🙄

I disagree. 

• Haha 1