Children on Board - Marina and Riviera

Marmaduke

We will be sailing on Oceania Riviera in July with our granddaughters as well as with friends and their granddaughter. Our granddaughters had their first cruise on Regent eleven years ago and it was a perfect fit for the four generation family members on the cruise. We then chose to take our two granddaughters on land vacations, Princess and Celebrity as they were a better fit for the four of us.

We booked the Riviera knowing that there would be passengers who would not be happy to have a younger generation onboard. We believe that the ship, the restaurants, the itinerary, and the cabins will be perfect for all of us. This was not a "selfish" choice on our part.

We are very thankful that we have had the opportunity to share so many trips, as well as cultures and countries, with our family. We are thrilled that we will have the opportunity to sail on the itinerary and the Riviera!

Your family will likely have a wonderful time and be fully welcomed by most other guests!

Sure, there will be a few negative people with closed minds who will pass judgment - but who really cares about them? While your family is laughing, eating, making memories, and having fun they will be sulking and scowling.

Their loss.

I just want to assure CorgiNole that you are doing the right thing taking your 16 year old son. Eleven years ago my then 18 year old son selected an Oceania Mediterranean cruise as his high school graduation trip. Our family of four (My other son was 20 at the time.) had the trip of a lifetime. We had adjoining balcony cabins and the crew took down the panel so we could have one large balcony to share with our sons. I booked private excursions in all the ports and we ate every evening as a family. They were never bored, but they had books, the TV and each other so that helped. Also, this was a port intensive itinerary so we were off the ship all day most days. We still talk about all of our adventures on that trip - from the jeep we rented on Santorini to the wonderful ex-military guide we had in Istanbul. As a poster has already mentioned, our sons are now long off on their own with wives and starting families. Yes, we could have had that experience on a "family friendly" cruise ship, but we all loved the atmosphere on Oceania. Don't let the naysayers bother you. It will be wonderful because your son is with you. My husband and I have done cruises since then and I always enjoy seeing older children and young adults on cruises with their families.

Thanks! Cruise has long been paid for. One grouch won't change my mind, though I am sad that the poster has obviously run up against many ill behaved children,

As our cruise on the Riviera is coming to a close in a few days, I can honestly say that the 20 or 30+ children on board have been very well behaved and not a minute of disturbance or bad behavior has been seen or heard.

I honestly feel for all of you out there that don't want to travel when children are on board, don't travel in the summer or at holiday times.........we are in our 70s and love the fact that there are young people here enjoying their vacation. The ship is alive at night, not the ghost town it used to be. The ship is full due to all the young families, they are the ones that will keep Oceania alive and well for years to come.

Honestly I don't get your point. Your definition of a child doesn't necessarily match that of others.

A 16-year-old is still considered a "child" from the perspective of many employers, government agencies, the military, etc.

So are you saying that if 12 families boarded your next cruise, each with 2-3 members age 16 and 17, that you would be fine?

If so, great.

Many would perhaps think that adolescent children going through puberty are potentially more annoying than 8-year-olds.

Others who don't approve of children on Oceania might have a different cutoff.

You seem to be hung up on pinning me down to what age I am fine with. I won't get into that squabble with you, The real truth here is that it's the parents who ignore their unruly kids who are the problem, not the kids themselves.

You should look into Crystal's Kids Sail Free promotion. Sounds perfect for y ou.

You seem to be hung up on pinning me down to what age I am fine with. I won't get into that squabble with you, The real truth here is that it's the parents who ignore their unruly kids who are the problem, not the kids themselves.

You should look into Crystal's Kids Sail Free promotion. Sounds perfect for y ou.

I don't have kids so don't have skin in the game.

But since you are one who said you weren't good with kids on board I figured you would be able to define what you meant.

I don't have kids so don't have skin in the game.

But since you are one who said you weren't good with kids on board I figured you would be able to define what you meant.

There's nothing more to define. I don't like kids on board. Period. End of story. No need to parse ages or number of kids. I hope that satisfies you.

There's nothing more to define. I don't like kids on board. Period. End of story. No need to parse ages or number of kids. I hope that satisfies you.

Agree 100%. There are plenty of kid friendly cruises for them. NO KIDS HERE !!!

As long as Oceania allows children you will either have to deal with it or move on to a cruise line or resort that are adult only

Let's move on

Move on to where? We have been dealing with it for 10 years and there have been few to no kids on most cruises. Just need to keep reminding O that the vast majority of their customers feel the same way. We are moving just fine in the right direction if that is what you mean. :):)

RJB;

When you can show us an actual poll that represents the majority of Oceania cruisers, we might give your post a little consideration. However, any opinions of the tiny portion of Oceania customers that post here on CC is only that. Any ancedotal conversations you may have with like minded cruisers, in no matter implies a "majority " of Oceania cruisers agree with you. Oceania's policies clearly allow and encourages the demographics with children to cruise.

Move on to where? We have been dealing with it for 10 years and there have been few to no kids on most cruises. Just need to keep reminding O that the vast majority of their customers feel the same way. We are moving just fine in the right direction if that is what you mean. :):)

Looks like like they were listening to someone

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/family-offer/

Evidence?

Seems like the anti-children voices are based more on "feeling" and less on intellectual rigor.

One poster doesn't approve of children on board but isn't able to define "children".

In your case, you cite the "vast majority" but that puts the onus on you to defend that argument. I wonder if you even understand the difference between "majority" and "vast majority". Is the term "vast majority" even sensible?

We have only had bad experiences with children on board. Actually nightmare scenarios where Celebrity offered compensation. So NO children on Oceania. It is one cruise line that we can count on to not have anything for them and hope that their parents take them on cruise lines that actually welcome families. Please leave Oceania for adults only.

We have only had bad experiences with children on board. Actually nightmare scenarios where Celebrity offered compensation. So NO children on Oceania. It is one cruise line that we can count on to not have anything for them and hope that their parents take them on cruise lines that actually welcome families. Please leave Oceania for adults only.

How this can be enforced?

Even Oceania (see post above) is looking for ways to attract families.

I wonder what happened on Celebrity to warrant compensation? From our experience kids on X are usually well behaved.

RJB;

When you can show us an actual poll that represents the majority of Oceania cruisers, we might give your post a little consideration. However, any opinions of the tiny portion of Oceania customers that post here on CC is only that. Any ancedotal conversations you may have with like minded cruisers, in no matter implies a "majority " of Oceania cruisers agree with you. Oceania's policies clearly allow and encourages the demographics with children to cruise.

I guess I will have to disagree with you that Oceania encourages children to cruise on O. I think the majority of posters represent same percentage of the whole of all O cruisers. Will never know for sure. No kids is still the way to go.

I find this thread disturbing. My only son is grown, and grandchildren are not in the picture (as of yet). I usually cruise solo these days.

I have been looking for an opportunity to sail on Oceania, but given the extremely mean-spirited and cranky comments I've read here (and not just on this thread, TBH), I'd have to say I'm not feeling very positive about finding broad-minded, pleasant cruisers on board Oceania cruises to converse with....

It seems to me that -- whatever the individual posters here say -- Oceania permits children. I certainly hope that no one would voice these kinds of opinions to any family sailing aboard an Oceania ship!

I have 40 years of cruising history, from the time I was a child myself (and my parents took me cruising when cruising was not something one "did" with children), through cruising with my own son, to the present. I can't say I've ever witnessed any of the horrifying behavior that some must have seen, to exhibit such misopedia... :eek:

We have traveled on Oceania with friends, alone, and to Alaska with our 10 year old twin grandsons last summer. The majority of Oceania passengers are wonderful travel companions and the children we have seen on other cruises have been with families who understood the Oceania ambiance and seemed to enjoy themselves. Our grandsons loved the Alaska children's program and all 19 children seemed to be well-behaved. We got a few "looks" on boarding but other than that, everyone was gracious and friendly. The staff seemed to dote on the children.

As a cruise line, Oceania accepts and welcomes children but makes a point of having only a very few cruises with a dedicated children's program. Some people seem to think that if they post cranky (even threatening) posts, that will motivate cruisers to choose other lines and motivate Oceania to cut back on children on cruises. Seems not to be working. Now kids can cruise free to Alaska!!!

In my experience, children have never been the problem on Oceania. My complaint is about that loud, hard drinking group at the large table in the dining room . . . .

Mary

RJB;

Oceania certainly allows children on their ships, but I suggest you read Paragraph 18. Children of the Guest Ticket Contract and then explain how Oceania "encourages the demographics with children to cruise" in light of the following language, in particular the first sentence:

"We do not provide services for the care, entertainment or supervision of children. Each adult Guest hereby agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any accompanying children at all times to ensure these policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and Ship, are strictly adhered to."

I find this thread disturbing. My only son is grown, and grandchildren are not in the picture (as of yet). I usually cruise solo these days.

I have been looking for an opportunity to sail on Oceania, but given the extremely mean-spirited and cranky comments I've read here (and not just on this thread, TBH), I'd have to say I'm not feeling very positive about finding broad-minded, pleasant cruisers on board Oceania cruises to converse with....

It seems to me that -- whatever the individual posters here say -- Oceania permits children. I certainly hope that no one would voice these kinds of opinions to any family sailing aboard an Oceania ship!

I have 40 years of cruising history, from the time I was a child myself (and my parents took me cruising when cruising was not something one "did" with children), through cruising with my own son, to the present. I can't say I've ever witnessed any of the horrifying behavior that some must have seen, to exhibit such misopedia... :eek:

Come on board, you and your family will have a great time. Other than agreeing with another poster earlier in the thread I generally avoid these types of discussions. I generally follow the mantra, "Don't feed the trolls", but still wanted to address your concerns. Yes, children are allowed on O.

As a 61 yo adult, I remember fondly the TATL crossing when I was 10 yo in 1966 and the return cruise at 13 yo in 1969. There were no kids activities, we traveled First Class, and dressed for dinner every evening. Food was excellent, but I didn't like dressing up then (or now), and that is why I love O now. The only downside was the cruise was only 4 days. Another reason I like O for its longer itineraries. I find it amusing that the main stream cruise lines have "formal" nights trying to relive the days of old; not quite the same IMO. Kind of like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

It's a different time, but there is no reason why one's children can't appreciate the finer things in life. My guess is, most parents who want to expose their children to O, do so because of just that.

I'm going on an O cruise of the North Sea in August and anticipate a higher amount of children on board. That's cool and for those who don't like children, don't cruise mid-June through August or over the Christmas and NY holidays. If you're cruising downunder, then avoid mid-December through February for kids and also the very hot temps in the north.

Evidence?

Seems like the anti-children voices are based more on "feeling" and less on intellectual rigor.

One poster doesn't approve of children on board but isn't able to define "children".

In your case, you cite the "vast majority" but that puts the onus on you to defend that argument. I wonder if you even understand the difference between "majority" and "vast majority". Is the term "vast majority" even sensible?

Are you a lawyer because you seem to obfuscate and twist everything to get to your own point of view? You want me to define children? Okay, Here's my definition. They're the small hunan beings who run and scream through the corridors, the ones who get on the elevators and push every button, the ones who run through the restaurants and push chairs out of their way oblivious to everyone else, the ones who scream in the pool, jump in the water and splash everyone near them. And the best way to determine a child? They're the ones with the parents who look the other way, think this behavior is cute and could care less that other people are bothered by it. And PLEASE don't tell me this kind behavior is rare. I've had enough cruises ruined by seeing it run rampant.

And that, to quote Warner Brothers, is all folks!

The same way rude boorish adults can be defined. Kids you described are exactly that. Thankfully they are not a majority.

Edited by Tatka

If we are doing Mad Libs, we can do the same thing with boorish and self absorbed adult cruise passengers.

They're human beings scream at the employees and passengers, believe that the sun resolves around them and will knock you down in the corridor. They are the ones who get on the elevators by pushing everyone else out of the way, the ones who in restaurants/bars think they should be served first and push chairs out of their way oblivious to everyone else. And the best way to determine a the boorish and self absorbed adult? They're the ones who the majority of the passengers disdain and avoid like the plague. And PLEASE don't tell me this kind behavior is rare. I've had enough cruises ruined by seeing it run rampant.

Parents play a huge role in the behavior of their children. Gus is an only. For several years, he was also the only grandchild on both sides, so he has spent a lot of time around adults. While not perfect (but then who among us is?), he knows how to behave himself. He and I travel extensively with his sports teams, and we have taken several 'big' trips with him as well.

For a little levity - this is the suit that he will NOT be wearing on the cruise next month. We did come home with several pairs of khakis as he has grown about 7 inches in the last year, and outgrown everything!

20170612_202337_zpsiaxydyic.jpg

Parents play a huge role in the behavior of their children. Gus is an only. For several years, he was also the only grandchild on both sides, so he has spent a lot of time around adults. While not perfect (but then who among us is?), he knows how to behave himself. He and I travel extensively with his sports teams, and we have taken several 'big' trips with him as well.

For a little levity - this is the suit that he will NOT be wearing on the cruise next month. We did come home with several pairs of khakis as he has grown about 7 inches in the last year, and outgrown everything!

20170612_202337_zpsiaxydyic.jpg

The jacket is fine, but what looks like a Cub's shirt has to go. ;p

If we are doing Mad Libs, we can do the same thing with boorish and self absorbed adult cruise passengers.

They're human beings scream at the employees and passengers, believe that the sun resolves around them and will knock you down in the corridor. They are the ones who get on the elevators by pushing everyone else out of the way, the ones who in restaurants/bars think they should be served first and push chairs out of their way oblivious to everyone else. And the best way to determine a the boorish and self absorbed adult? They're the ones who the majority of the passengers disdain and avoid like the plague. And PLEASE don't tell me this kind behavior is rare. I've had enough cruises ruined by seeing it run rampant.

You didn't see adults fighting for loungers, getting drunk or smoking in places not designated for this?

I don't see many kids or adults with behavior described by you or me, but they do exist.

More on lower end lines less on higher end of massmarket.

I belive that cost of cruising on Oceania or similar lines are prohibitive for this type of adults or families.