MDR - sharing tables

jerrib

New to freestyle dining. We like to share a large table with others, is this a possibility? Everything I've read seems to suggest that if you are a party of 2 they set you at a table for 2. Hoping that we also have the option of joining others who are also looking to share.

As you go to the MDR as at the desk if you can share if they don't ask you. More often than not it is with another couple otherwise you could be waiting a long time to fill a table for 8. They will bring you menus, water and bread. When it looks as if you are ready to order they will check if you want to wait or not; this is especially true early in the evening when there seems to be fewer who want to share. Till they get to know you you may have to be proactive especially if they are busy and forget to ask.

I've not shared a table on NCL. I also don't ever being recalled if I want to share. Typically go to the host stand and tell them we have 2 and get seated for 2. So if this is something you are looking for def request it; don't expect they will ask. The other thing we've done is make conversation with nearby tables. Often the 2 tops are close enough together and then you can even make plans to meet up the next night for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We, too, enjoy tablemates, so being seated alone isn't for us! Unfortunately, nowadays, not many want to share. That's why "freestyle" has become popular on other lines...think "your time, or anytime" dining.

Even when the staff at Savor recognized us, we were never asked if we wanted to share a table. For breakfast at Taste, we were immediately shown to a table for 2 with no one asking if we wished to share.

While passengers tended to be friendlier on Breakaway vs. other NCL ship, there seems to be a great prevalence of staying with the people you are sailing with and not mixing with others. Only at Cirque were we seated at a table for 12 and enjoyed the conversation during dinner. It was even noted that you would be seated with others almost as if it was a big negative or a warning! We kept running into the couple that sat opposite us during the sailing and chatted with them. We also find that to be a negative of Free Style dining.

MARAPRINCE

May be a suitable discussion for Roll Call Meet & Greet participants - mention it - talk it up - enjoy the company !

We did extend the invitation to our Roll Call and mentioned the reservations we had booked. No takers! Totally ignored the invitation and even the single passengers mentioned that they enjoyed dining alone and wanted to be seated away from others to enjoy reading a book while dining.

MARAPRINCE

On our recent Jade TA, we were always seated by ourselves for breakfast. Most times that we went to the MDR for supper we were asked if we were willing to share. Sometimes we said yes and sometimes no. If no, always quickly seated at a table for two. When sharing, it was with six or eight. The Roll Call also reserved 2-4 tables at a certain time if Roll Call people wanted to sit together

The solos group on my cruise the week before last regularly had dinner together in a large group, heck there were so many of us one evening they had to split us over two tables. I'm not sure how often the solos are that sociable though and we didn't really meet up for breakfast or lunch. One of the others on the cruise said she'd gone solo before and there was no real group to hang out with as all the others in the studios seemed to be travelling with family or were total hermits but on that occasion it was during holiday season I can't remember if she said it was thanksgiving or Christmas.

You can always request a shared table.

But,,, today,,, everyone is rushing around here and there. The vast majority of people ask for private tables so they don't have to wait for everyone to finish before progressing to their next course (especially when some order 3 and 4 appetizers).

Before y'all start judging us who prefer to eat alone or as couples, consider the following:

Some of us are elderly (not us, we are old, 80+). That means our hearing is diminished, which makes it tough carrying on a conversation. After 3 scores of marriage we are still each other's best friends and most comfortable companions. Why exchange a quiet dinner for two for a group of six or eight diners with separate conversations and crosstalk?

We are cruising to enjoy being on a ship on a big ocean, not to make friends for life. Ashore we wouldn't even think of sharing a table with any strangers. Friends and family? Absolutely, at the drop of a hat.

Somebody please give me a hand so I can climb down off my soap box.

Before y'all start judging us who prefer to eat alone or as couples, consider the following:

Some of us are elderly (not us, we are old, 80+). That means our hearing is diminished, which makes it tough carrying on a conversation. After 3 scores of marriage we are still each other's best friends and most comfortable companions. Why exchange a quiet dinner for two for a group of six or eight diners with separate conversations and crosstalk?

We are cruising to enjoy being on a ship on a big ocean, not to make friends for life. Ashore we wouldn't even think of sharing a table with any strangers. Friends and family? Absolutely, at the drop of a hat.

Agree:D

Amen! We're not anti-social and will chat anyone up over cocktails, but more times than not we aren't really interested in small talk with others while dining - freestyle dining is the main reasons we selected NCL for our first cruise last year - and we're hooked! All of that said, for others that do want a group table it's probably just as easy as asking the host/hostess.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

Hi, I am the OP and I thank you all for your responses. Looks like we'll have no problem asking to share a table. We love to meet new people and are usually happy doing it this way.