Royal Class Ships: What makes them special for those who have sailed other classes

DRPWDunIL

On Princess, between my cruise mates and I we have only sailed the Island Princess and the Coral Princess. We are sailing on the Royal Princess this December. Besides overall size, what are the great things you have found about the Royal class ships as compared to other classes like the Island and Coral?

I did not care for the Royal Princess. Too big and crowded. The buffet although bigger with many more selections is hard to navigate and find seating. When you do find a dish you like it's far from where you found a seat and harder to remember where it was. Tendering was ok getting off as we are elite tier and joined the next group to tender off but coming back was another story. Thousands of people in line and if it's hot and sunny it's a miserable long line. I personally won't sail on a ship that big again.

Fear not, you will likely receive many more positive replies. We're sailing on the Regal in September, and based on the reviews and raves I've read, we are very much looking forward to it.

Have a Great Cruise!! :D

The tvs and on demand movie system are great. Can replay game shows that happened the night before etc. The buffet was the best Ive seen on the ship. Renting a cabana by the adult pool for a day and the sanctuary was awesome since I do feel that the pool space was limited. I liked the enclave and lots of w seat dining tables.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We enjoy the expanded Atrium and entertainment offerings there. We enjoy the many more dining options including Alfredo's and Ocean Terrace seafood. We enjoy the larger International Cafe. We enjoy the Princess Live and activities there. We also enjoy the bar right outside Princess Live to watch the show inside, and enjoy a cocktail while watching the world stroll by. We enjoy the set-up of the Crown Grill and Wheelhouse, so we can enjoy the music from Wheelhouse in the CG. We enjoy the larger Retreat Pool area. We enjoy the dedicated jogging/walking track so not dodging people on Promenade. We enjoy the aft outdoor seating of Horizon Terrace. We enjoy the much expanded Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro - loads more options, cooked in smaller batches so fresher along the way, more variety, easier to navigate, etc.; we have dinner there many nights as the variety is so lovely. We enjoy the production shows, even after seeing them several times. We enjoy the Deluxe Balcony cabin type only found in Royal class ships. We also enjoy the aft suites immensely when the price is right. We enjoy Crooner's above the atrium with great views down. We love Gelato's, especially rhe adult gelato sundaes.

And so on.. Royal class ships are our favorite in the fleet overall, but we certainly sail the others as itinerary is usually foremost for us..

I have never liked buffets, until the Regal and Royal Princess. The quality and presentation of the food is outstanding, and we always find seating. And we now find that we eat dinner there at least a couple of nights each cruise when we just feel like wearing shorts and flip flops, and don't want to sit through two hour dinners.

The omelettes made to order for breakfast are excellent, the fruits and salad/vegetables are great and we enjoy the afternoon tea offerings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We enjoy the expanded Atrium and entertainment offerings there. We enjoy the many more dining options including Alfredo's and Ocean Terrace seafood. We enjoy the larger International Cafe. We enjoy the Princess Live and activities there. We also enjoy the bar right outside Princess Live to watch the show inside, and enjoy a cocktail while watching the world stroll by. We enjoy the set-up of the Crown Grill and Wheelhouse, so we can enjoy the music from Wheelhouse in the CG. We enjoy the larger Retreat Pool area. We enjoy the dedicated jogging/walking track so not dodging people on Promenade. We enjoy the aft outdoor seating of Horizon Terrace. We enjoy the much expanded Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro - loads more options, cooked in smaller batches so fresher along the way, more variety, easier to navigate, etc.; we have dinner there many nights as the variety is so lovely. We enjoy the production shows, even after seeing them several times. We enjoy the Deluxe Balcony cabin type only found in Royal class ships. We also enjoy the aft suites immensely when the price is right. We enjoy Crooner's above the atrium with great views down. We love Gelato's, especially rhe adult gelato sundaes.

And so on.. Royal class ships are our favorite in the fleet overall, but we certainly sail the others as itinerary is usually foremost for us..

Exactly are sentiments :D

I can agree with all of the positive comments and hardly any of the negative ones. Aside from the Royal class ships being a little more crowded they definitely have more to offer than any of the older Princess ships.

Give them a try & you'll never want to go back. ;)

We've already enjoyed 6 weeks on the Royal & Regal with another 4 weeks booked.

Winemakers Dinner: For $40 there's a great dinner with free flowing wine in one of their two Wine Cellars; limited to 12 passengers & like the Chef's Table has limited availability.

Great buffet: Enough seating & free filtered coffee machines made from ground coffee unlike other Princess ships that use concentrated coffee machines.

Alfredo's Pizzeria: Full multi course meal & is free.

Gelato's: Tasty gelato & other things such as sundaes; either $3.50 or even better 1 coffee card punch; on some sea day afternoons freshly made crepes for the same price.

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar: Fee based but reasonably priced seafood items such as the $6 crab dish.

On Demand cabin entertainment system: This is the best system I've experienced & everything is free. If you miss one of the newer movies shown on MUTS, the next day it's available on the cabin's system.

As you can read, many of the things I like are their unique dining options. I also like the 50% larger Piazza area & the Deluxe Balcony cabins with a loveseat couch for two. Also the MUTS screen is larger & improved.

For us the Royal-class ships have many more pros than cons.

Fear not, you will likely receive many more positive replies. We're sailing on the Regal in September, and based on the reviews and raves I've read, we are very much looking forward to it.

Make sure you try Alfredo's and get the veal ravioli and prosciutto and shaved parm pizza!!

I agree with all the positive points posted so far. The buffet is fantastic. Something not mentioned yet that I really like is that the photo department has its own area that is out of the way. Now you can walk deck 7 without the passage being blocked by racks of photos and people searching for their photo. One other advantage if you book a full suite is that you will have a concierge lounge where you can relax, get snacks and specialty coffees. The concierge will make reservations for you. It is also a place you can await your time to disembark at the end of the cruise.

I can agree with all of the positive comments and hardly any of the negative ones. Aside from the Royal class ships being a little more crowded they definitely have more to offer than any of the older Princess ships.

Give them a try & you'll never want to go back. ;)

I totally agree with you.

Tony

I see you will become elite next March. Congrats

I have to admit that we had the same reservations as some - was it too big, was it set up wrong, would we be able to find a lounger, would we be able to reach the oft mentioned inconvenient toilet paper holder (not really).........etc, etc.

After the first time on the Royal most of these concerns were put to rest. After the second time they were gone. As most everyone has said there are many things that make this class of ships impressive - the new buffet setup, the atrium, the flow - there is lots to like.

If there is one thing that is weird it is the placement of the fitness area. People have to walk through the fitness area to get aft to the smoking area???? Also there is very little space for any kind of workout/stretching/situps/etc. There is the aerobic studio but it is off limits whenever a class or private assessment is being done by the staff. Does this stop us from using the area - no. Would it have been better to not be a thoroughfare - absolutely.

As most everyone else has said - you will more than likely love this class of ships.

Enjoy your cruise!

We've already enjoyed 6 weeks on the Royal & Regal with another 4 weeks booked.

Winemakers Dinner: For $40 there's a great dinner with free flowing wine in one of their two Wine Cellars; limited to 12 passengers & like the Chef's Table has limited availability.

Great buffet: Enough seating & free filtered coffee machines made from ground coffee unlike other Princess ships that use concentrated coffee machines.

Alfredo's Pizzeria: Full multi course meal & is free.

Gelato's: Tasty gelato & other things such as sundaes; either $3.50 or even better 1 coffee card punch; on some sea day afternoons freshly made crepes for the same price.

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar: Fee based but reasonably priced seafood items such as the $6 crab dish.

On Demand cabin entertainment system: This is the best system I've experienced & everything is free. If you miss one of the newer movies shown on MUTS, the next day it's available on the cabin's system.

As you can read, many of the things I like are their unique dining options. I also like the 50% larger Piazza area & the Deluxe Balcony cabins with a loveseat couch for two. Also the MUTS screen is larger & improved.

For us the Royal-class ships have many more pros than cons.

Everything here is a perfect way of delineating the Royal class ships from the others! The TV system is my favorite.

However, I do miss Skywalkers bar and Princess Live is the worst waste of space on a cruise ship!

The aft area on Deck 16 is also a favorite! I call it my "poor mans balcony". Soft comfortable leather sofas line the area and you can read a book, drink a glass of wine and enjoy the view! We were there for every sail away! Free brewed coffee and hot chocolate machine for mornings!!!

I see you will become elite next March. Congrats

Thanks, I was trying to find a quick and cheap getaway for this summer (we'd book two insides and get two cruise credits each) so we would be elite on our Regal TA in September, but no luck. Oh well, we'll just have to wait. ;)

[quote=GweninTX;53241922 Free brewed coffee and hot chocolate machine for mornings!!!

From my recollection the Royal class ships were the first to offer brewed coffee as a replacement thought out the ship for the liquid coffee dispensers.

A definite improvement. :)

There are a few annoyances on these Royal class ships that bother some people such as no Promenade deck that can be walked around, a noisy Piazza, spread out areas & choices in the Horizon buffet and smaller balconies but such is life.

Some day they'll build the perfect ship to satisfy everyone. :rolleyes:

For all the many positives of the Royal, I'm not sure I'd rank her above the Coral for overall experience. I'll be on the Royal for another Transatlantic, and yes, for a cruise with a lot of sea days it will be a good choice. But the Coral was comfortable and intimate and on some sailings I think I'd still prefer her, even without gimmicks like the Seawalk and magic fountains.

And the much-praised flatscreen TV's are mounted directly to the wall, so I was blessed with hearing programs from the adjoining cabin. Yay!

The resolution on the MUTS screen is also better on the Royal/Regal.

Although there is not real promenade wrap around deck to walk on, there is a walking/jogging track on the sports deck and we found that fine to get our walk in. Definitely prefer the Royal/Regal over the others, but all cruising is good.

Don

The real brewed coffee is near the top of my list.

That and the full-menu Alfredo's, the snazzy TV setup and jogging/walking track that sometimes features healthy snacks and water as you circle the ship.

One more thing: We love that the mini-suites have a dividing curtain between the sitting area and the bed. Comes in handy when one person is sleeping and the other is up and about.

Jim

I have been on Royal once and Regal eight times. What I like about them the most is the crew/ staff and Officers. Very friendly. A lot of them remember our names from one cruise to the other. Very friendly.

For all the many positives of the Royal, I'm not sure I'd rank her above the Coral for overall experience. I'll be on the Royal for another Transatlantic, and yes, for a cruise with a lot of sea days it will be a good choice. But the Coral was comfortable and intimate and on some sailings I think I'd still prefer her, even without gimmicks like the Seawalk and magic fountains.

And the much-praised flatscreen TV's are mounted directly to the wall, so I was blessed with hearing programs from the adjoining cabin. Yay!

You should have fired up your TV at 3 AM....for their enjoyment of course. :D

Everything here is a perfect way of delineating the Royal class ships from the others! The TV system is my favorite.

However, I do miss Skywalkers bar and Princess Live is the worst waste of space on a cruise ship!

The aft area on Deck 16 is also a favorite! I call it my "poor mans balcony". Soft comfortable leather sofas line the area and you can read a book, drink a glass of wine and enjoy the view! We were there for every sail away! Free brewed coffee and hot chocolate machine for mornings!!!

Replacing Skywalkers with Club 6 was a bad change however it's even worse on the Majestic where Club 6 has been replaced by the VIP Gaming lounge. Princess Live's TV studio with uncomfortable seats is reportedly going to be replaced by an Explorers Lounge type of area on the next Royal-class ship.

The bathroom's larger & deeper rectangular sink is good for hand-washing delicate items & the shower's small step opposite the shower head is a good addition.

The deck 16 aft "poor mans balcony" is great but so are the Coral's aft viewing decks which have sadly been replaced on the Island with cabins. Although on the Coral the buffet isn't adjacent to those aft viewing decks like on Royal-class ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer