I Think French Cruise Line Ponant Has One Upped Celebrity on New Ship Design Feature

mnocket

Will be a great feature when you're in Southampton Docks, looking at the shopping trolleys and people wearing concrete slippers :D

We don't sail from Southampton, so we'll miss those marine delights :D.

Great idea to get up close and personal with your surroundings :).

I agree. I had the same thought when it was announced last week.

Instead of the Celebrity additions that actually remove you from the environment you're in; that has the opposite of bringing you into it. That's attractive.

The renderings shows dolphins swimming by. I suspect this will almost never happen. I also think the vibrating chairs are creepy. My first impression is that it is quite an experience, but I can't shake the feeling that it is very claustrophobic.

I did Antarctica in January with Ponant, and after seeing there new ship, I'm ready to book an arctic expedition. The lounge would have been amazing to see the Penguins, whales, seals swimming. We were up close to these animals numerous times. Mind you when you're watching them when your on deck it would be hard to run inside to watch them from the lounge. I can however see myself sitting down there, having a drink and watching the marine life swim by. Just waiting for the 2019 itineraries and I will be booking it!

Reading the article I don't understand if it is a window that actually shows what is outside or a digital screen that looks like a window that is showing the images from the underwater cameras.

If it is just a screen the lounge doesn't have to be on a lower deck other than for the sense of realism. It isn't clear if there are the screens and also windows.

There is also another new ship being made by MSC that will run on natural gas and have a max capacity 6850 passengers.

Hopefully with all these new ships the market will become saturated and there will be price wars. 😀

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Reading the article I don't understand if it is a window that actually shows what is outside or a digital screen that looks like a window that is showing the images from the underwater cameras.

If it is just a screen the lounge doesn't have to be on a lower deck other than for the sense of realism. It isn't clear if there are the screens and also windows.

My reading of the article is that there are both windows and digital screens. It is a bit confusing so I reserve the right to be wrong:D

I took it that there are at least windows.

I imagine most of the time there wouldn't be much to see. But it still connects you to your environment far more than any of the new Edge features, which go the other way.

I did Antarctica in January with Ponant, and after seeing there new ship, I'm ready to book an arctic expedition. The lounge would have been amazing to see the Penguins, whales, seals swimming. We were up close to these animals numerous times. Mind you when you're watching them when your on deck it would be hard to run inside to watch them from the lounge. I can however see myself sitting down there, having a drink and watching the marine life swim by. Just waiting for the 2019 itineraries and I will be booking it!

Would love to hear about your Ponant Antartica experience!

Recently on the Equinox when it was very late at night I could see the view of the underwater cameras on the TV in my cabin until I turned it on. 🤔

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Recently on the Equinox when it was very late at night I could see the view of the underwater cameras on the TV in my cabin until I turned it on. 🤔

That sounds like a side effect of the Premium Beverage package ;p

It's a cool feature, but the wake and depth of the ship , I don't think you would see much of value, and if it displayed camera images, couldn't you just send that to any screen?

That is basically what I was jesting about in my post (#12). Late at night you may as well look at a tv that isn't on, unless they shine some lights and I don't think that would be allowed.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞