Technical issues on Caribbean Princess

maz48

We are sailing the Caribbean Princess on the Dec 20th cruise to the Southern Caribbean. We received the "technical problems" email a few days ago. Going to St. Thomas instead of St. Maarten. St. Kitts and Antiqua are swapping port days.

Rather than disappointing their guests (and having to give each of them $50) why didn't they just change their website itineraries to reflect what they eventually changed to in their emails? Guests from June - Dec 2017 (so far) have had itineraries changed. How long can this go on?

I'm booked on the CP for the Halloween 10/31 Panama Canal 10-day cruise. I didn't receive anything from Princess but someone noticed the itinerary change and I found this on my princess account at the very bottom of the page where the notices are under the Calendar and Planning page. They changed Ocho Rios to Grand Cayman (a plus as far as I'm concerned) and port in Panama changed from Colon to Cristobal (not sure why). Also, we are leaving a few ports earlier than originally scheduled, Cartegena the most noticeable as we were going to be there until 3 and now leaving at 12:30.

ITINERARY CHANGE

Please be advised that Caribbean Princess has experienced a technical issue which has resulted in our inability to operate at full speed. This in no way compromises the safety of our guests and crew, which is our highest priority; however, our technical experts have determined that it is necessary to make changes to our itinerary. We will still offer our full tour program in the Panama Canal, but will now call to Cristobal rather than Colon after the partial transit of the Panama Canal on Sunday, November 5, 2017. We will also no longer call to Ocho Rios on Wednesday, November 8, but will instead visit Grand Cayman on the same date. Additionally, call times at several ports have been amended. Please review the revised itinerary displayed in full above.

As a goodwill gesture, each guest will receive a refundable credit of $50 USD applied to their onboard folio. We regret any disappointment these changes may cause, and look forward to welcoming you aboard Caribbean Princess.

Prior to 2012! As I mentioned above, the CB experienced propulsion issues when we cruised on her in July 2008. So CB cruisers have been subjected to these issues for at least nine years.

The July 2008 problem was probably fixed and the current problem is a new one.

Chances are you have had a car which had a problem that was fixed and then had a similar problem several years later.

The July 2008 problem was probably fixed and the current problem is a new one.

Chances are you have had a car which had a problem that was fixed and then had a similar problem several years later.

that sounds logical.

Hi there - received same info regarding Panama trip - have sent emails to the CEO in USA and UK. It is concerning the CP is sailing with known 'Technical Issues' - presume full speed is not achievable from my limited understanding. We will have to cut at least one evenings entertainment short to go to bed early for a ridiculous 05h00 docking time! We are going to have to cancel two of our trips due to the new time changes. Unbelievable they consider all this to be worth $50!. We all work hard and save hard to go on a cruise to relax, enjoy and have a great time. Princess want us to 'come back new'....really? p.s. how does sailing on a ship with known 'technical issues' affect our insurance?:o

Hi there - received same info regarding Panama trip - have sent emails to the CEO in USA and UK. It is concerning the CP is sailing with known 'Technical Issues' - presume full speed is not achievable from my limited understanding. We will have to cut at least one evenings entertainment short to go to bed early for a ridiculous 05h00 docking time! We are going to have to cancel two of our trips due to the new time changes. Unbelievable they consider all this to be worth $50!. We all work hard and save hard to go on a cruise to relax, enjoy and have a great time. Princess want us to 'come back new'....really? p.s. how does sailing on a ship with known 'technical issues' affect our insurance?:o

We booked Princess excursions and they have adjusted the times. That's too bad you had to cancel yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm sorry that you may have to cancel two of your excursions. Years ago, DH and I were aboard the Celebrity Infinity which was having mechanical problems causing us to skip, or be late to ports. (This was quite a few years ago but I don't think we received any obcs from Celebrity.)

The private tour companies we used were very good about adjusted the tours to the new times. Perhaps yours will be able to do the same? I remember frantically emailing one gentleman with daily updates until he finally assured me that he would be there no matter what time we arrived. We had to adjust what we were able to do but still had a wonderful time. I hope the same for you.

We are booked aboard the CB for the September 18th, 2018 Panama Canal cruise. Can you tell me what port you are arriving to at 5 a.m.? Where are you concerned about having to cancel your excursions? Again, I am sorry about the changes to your cruise. It's frustrating when you put so much time into researching and picking "the excursion" only to have everything go sideways. Fingers crossed you can make your excursions work or find good substitutes.

We are booked on the November 30, 2017 Caribbean Princess sailing to the Panama Canal and we just received the following email notification from Princess Cruises: "ITINERARY CHANGE

Please be advised that Caribbean Princess has experienced a technical issue which has resulted in our inability to operate at full speed. This in no way compromises the safety of our guests and crew, which is our highest priority; however, our technical experts have determined that it is necessary to make changes to our itinerary. We will still offer our full tour program in the Panama Canal, but will now call to Cristobal rather than Colon after the partial transit of the Panama Canal on Tuesday, December 5, 2017. We have also reversed our calls to Grand Cayman and Falmouth and will now call to Falmouth on Saturday, December 2 and to Grand Cayman on Friday, December 8, and call times at several ports have been amended. The revised itinerary displays in full at the end of this notification.

As a goodwill gesture, each guest will receive a refundable credit of $50 USD applied to their onboard folio. We regret any disappointment these changes may cause, and look forward to welcoming you aboard Caribbean Princess.

Thank you for your attention to this notification."

We are booked on the November 30, 2017 Caribbean Princess sailing to the Panama Canal and we just received the following email notification from Princess Cruises: "ITINERARY CHANGE

Please be advised that Caribbean Princess has experienced a technical issue which has resulted in our inability to operate at full speed. This in no way compromises the safety of our guests and crew, which is our highest priority; however, our technical experts have determined that it is necessary to make changes to our itinerary. We will still offer our full tour program in the Panama Canal, but will now call to Cristobal rather than Colon after the partial transit of the Panama Canal on Tuesday, December 5, 2017. We have also reversed our calls to Grand Cayman and Falmouth and will now call to Falmouth on Saturday, December 2 and to Grand Cayman on Friday, December 8, and call times at several ports have been amended. The revised itinerary displays in full at the end of this notification.

Thank you for your attention to this notification."

And here is the new itinerary for the November 30, 2017 Sailing:

BOOKING ITINERARY

Date

Description

Start

End

Nov 30

No Transfer To Ship

Nov 30

Fort Lauderdale

Check In 12:30pm-3:00pm

4:00PM

Dec 01

At Sea

Dec 02

Falmouth

12:00PM

8:00PM

Dec 03

At Sea

Dec 04

Cartagena

6:30AM

12:30PM

Dec 05

Panama Canal - Gatun

Scenic Cruising

5:00AM

3:30PM

Date

Description

Start

End

Dec 05

Cristobal

7:30PM

Dec 06

Limon

7:00AM

Dec 07

At Sea

Dec 08

Grand Cayman

3:00PM

Dec 09

At Sea

Dec 10

Fort Lauderdale

Dec 10

No Transfer From Ship

We are on the Feb 6, 2018 sailing and no emails from Princess yet on the issues they are having. Does anyone know anything about Cristobel? I will check the other board to check also!

Thanks,

Kathy

We are on the Feb 6, 2018 sailing and no emails from Princess yet on the issues they are having. Does anyone know anything about Cristobel? I will check the other board to check also!

Thanks,

Kathy

Even though in practical terms, Colon and Cristobal is the same place, Cristobal is purely a container port, there are no shops or mall withing the pier area as there is where the ship docks in Colon. I suspect the reason for the switch from Colon to Cristobal is it will enable an earlier departure for the next port of Limon. The ship will almost certainly already be at the berth in Cristobal by the time the first shore excursions return, this is not always the case when Colon is used. The piers at Cristobal can be accessed much sooner after leaving the new locks as opposed to the pier in Colon. Also, considering there won't be any shopping at Cristobal, passengers will go aboard immediately.

And here is the new itinerary for the November 30, 2017 Sailing:

BOOKING ITINERARY

Date

Description

Start

End

Nov 30

No Transfer To Ship

Nov 30

Fort Lauderdale

Check In 12:30pm-3:00pm

Dec 01

At Sea

Dec 02

Falmouth

12:00PM

8:00PM

Dec 03

At Sea

Dec 04

Cartagena

6:30AM

12:30PM

Dec 05

Panama Canal - Gatun

Scenic Cruising

5:00AM

3:30PM

Date

Description

Start

End

Dec 05

Cristobal

7:30PM

Dec 06

Limon

Dec 07

At Sea

Dec 08

Grand Cayman

3:00PM

Dec 09

At Sea

Dec 10

Fort Lauderdale

Dec 10

No Transfer From Ship

I am on the same cruise. Those port times are ridiculous and what's irking me the most. The Cristobal port is industrial (?) and basically there is nothing to do there. Total waste of a port.

You're only allowed off the ship in Colon (and now presumably in Cristobal) if you're on a Princess shore excursion anyway, so does it really matter how "nice" the port is?
I thought that was where they picked up the people who had taken the tours while in Gatun lake? There was no indication that we couldn't get off at Colon for a few hours.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Have you received any reply from your emails?

You're only allowed off the ship in Colon (and now presumably in Cristobal) if you're on a Princess shore excursion anyway, so does it really matter how "nice" the port is?

The way it normally worked, only passengers with shore excursions were allowed off the ship in Gatun Lake to go on their tour. Once the ship locked back down Gatun Locks with those who stayed on board and docked in Colon anyone who wanted to go ashore to the mall connected to the pier were allowed to do so.

The main purpose of the stop in Colon (in earlier times Cristobal) is to pick up those who took tours. On the few times Carnival has offered a partial transit, no tours off in Gatun Lake and therefore no stop either Colon or Cristobal.

The way it normally worked, only passengers with shore excursions were allowed off the ship in Gatun Lake to go on their tour. Once the ship locked back down Gatun Locks with those who stayed on board and docked in Colon anyone who wanted to go ashore to the mall connected to the pier were allowed to do so.

The main purpose of the stop in Colon (in earlier times Cristobal) is to pick up those who took tours. On the few times Carnival has offered a partial transit, no tours off in Gatun Lake and therefore no stop either Colon or Cristobal.

Our cruise in November is now docking at Cristobal, yes it's the Caribbean Princess. Do they still have shopping at that stop?

Our cruise in November is now docking at Cristobal, yes it's the Caribbean Princess. Do they still have shopping at that stop?

I am fairly certain they do not. Cruise ships have not used Cristobal since about 2011 when they removed the warehouse portion of the pier where the shops were located.

I am fairly certain they do not. Cruise ships have not used Cristobal since about 2011 when they removed the warehouse portion of the pier where the shops were located.

That's too bad, our cruise in 2013 stopped at Cristobal and the shopping in the warehouse was like one big park and swap kind of thing. Good prices on tee shirts and stuff. Thanks for the quick response.

We are booked on the September 22nd westbound TA and have had an email this morning making fairly big changes to our itinerary due to 'technical issues' that will cause the ship not to be able to travel at full speed. Has anyone who has been on the ship recently heard anything about it? I imagine it doesn't affect other cruises too much till then, but going over the Atlantic at that time of year on a ship with problems doesn't thrill me.

The December Panama Canal cruise passengers were just notified of technical problems. Vague explanation and one port change with other port time changes. How can we find out the real problem?