Technical issues on Caribbean Princess

maz48

What I don't understand is there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the resheduling of ports. My cruise in April has now had the whole first weeks ports changed to completely different islands, yet other cruises are still going to ports ours was supposed to go to? I wonder how many more itinerary changes I will get between now and next April?

What I don't understand is there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the resheduling of ports. My cruise in April has now had the whole first weeks ports changed to completely different islands, yet other cruises are still going to ports ours was supposed to go to? I wonder how many more itinerary changes I will get between now and next April?

Different changes from cruise to cruise may be caused by differing availability of docks or anchorages at the ports.

Just got the mail this morning about our 5/1/18 itinerary change on the CB. Not at all happy with the loss of a favorite (and not too oft repeated) port in which we already booked space on our favorite catamaran snorkel trip with a private party. Had our pre-cruise hotel already booked, etc. The $50 OBC doesn't make a bit of difference when you're looking forward to a port you don't often hit, and really enjoy. :(

We're cancelling our May CB cruise in favor of another ship/itinerary in the fall. It's really a shame that PCL is unable to get such a long-standing problem fixed sooner! But --- "it is what it is"... and life goes on!

(And - HI, "THRAK" !! See you over on our "Tahiti Repeatee roll call"!) :cool:

Most of us who are here on CC, are seasoned travelers. We are on the CB this fall for the TA cruise. When we received word about the changes, we were fine with it as we have never been across the pond, so each port is new and we love sea days. So we paid the final payment and are getting excited about the cruise. We were also on the CB this past winter for our warm weather in the winter cruise we take every year. But, going forward, with all we now know about this particular ship, we would look at other itineries before booking on the CB until this gets fixed. Our down payment for our future cruise(s) is always done with future cruise credits. If I am not mistaken, that can be moved to another cruise if we were to switch from the CB to another ship. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

So, I'm asking, since most of us know what's going on with this ship, we are mostly experienced travlers, why aren't we changing our cruises to others, especially those 9 months away? There's plenty of time to get your money put towards another cruise without loosing a cent If we all would stop booking this ship, they would get the message and get her fixed? If you haven't made final payment, why stay on her?

So, I'm asking, since most of us know what's going on with this ship, we are mostly experienced travlers, why aren't we changing our cruises to others, especially those 9 months away? There's plenty of time to get your money put towards another cruise without loosing a cent If we all would stop booking this ship, they would get the message and get her fixed? If you haven't made final payment, why stay on her?

As of yesterday I had two cruises booked on the Caribbean Princess, one for January 2018 and one for January 2019. The first I booked (using our only FCD) last September when the 3 for Free sale was on. My T.A. was also able to add on additional OBC when there was a special Canada Day promotion. We're still doing that cruise because of the included gratuities and generous OBC, and we've already got our plane tickets and hotel reservations.

The January 2019 cruise (we already had free gratuities included) I cancelled yesterday. I intended to rebook that one when the 3 for Free comes out on September 5, but there's no way I'm risking it. We won't be booking the Caribbean Princess any time soon, and to be honest the way Princess is handling this situation has soured us on the company enough to re-think future plans with them. :(

We are booked on CB in September 2018 for the Southern route. We picked this itinerary for these ports and if there are changes, we will definitely cancel. We haven't received any notice yet, but I am keeping watch closely.

We were also booked on Caribbean Princess Transatlantic London to Ft. Lauderdale but cancelled as soon as we got the notice and re-booked on the Barcelona-Ft. Lauderdale "Spanish Passage" instead (coming up!:D). We were so bummed because we hadn't been to most of the ports but even our TA said was thing to do. Of interest though, we were on CB in April for Partial Panama Canal transit and had no trouble at all. Who knows!!

We were also booked on Caribbean Princess Transatlantic London to Ft. Lauderdale but cancelled as soon as we got the notice and re-booked on the Barcelona-Ft. Lauderdale "Spanish Passage" instead (coming up!:D). We were so bummed because we hadn't been to most of the ports but even our TA said was thing to do. Of interest though, we were on CB in April for Partial Panama Canal transit and had no trouble at all. Who knows!!

I didn't think the CB went through the canal until October 2018? Someone was looking for Patters.

I'm booked on her. Doesn't matter where I cruise. Happy to be on a ship.

1. I booked the cruise under the $1.00 deposit promo, so no financial committment up front.

2. I live within driving distance of the port (2 1/2 hours) and don't have to book air or pre-hotel.

3. I'm booked in May 2018 and that is an open time on my schedule to travel.

4. I booked the itinerary for the ports, not just to take a cruise. I still like the itinerary, even with one change in port, as I have not been to four of the six ports on this cruise. I'll be continuing to monitor the situation with the CB up until final payment in February. If there is another port change or times are shortened in ports, I will cancel this cruise.

5. Only planning on one cruise in 2018. Have not researched other available cruises in May 2018 to date.

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

I didn't think the CB went through the canal until October 2018? Someone was looking for Patters.

I'm booked on her. Doesn't matter where I cruise. Happy to be on a ship.

The Caribbean Princess leaves Ft. Lauderdale in a couple of months (Oct. 21) for a 10-day cruise which includes a partial transit through the new, larger Panama Canal locks.

Like you, my wife and I are always happy to be on a cruise ship.

Derrick

I may be out of line with this post but here goes!!! We were on a cruise with RCI back in 2000. The ship was the Grandeur of the Seas (love this ship) At 6:30am we heard a loud bang and the emergency floor lights went on. The Captain came on and told the passengers that there was a problem and it would be fixed shortly. The problem was the transformer blew!! We finally were towed to Venezuela around 2pm. At the port were two gentlemen from RCI with the part in their hands. We left the island at midnight having the problem fixed. The passengers were compensated for the inconvenience that happened. We were offered OBC and credit for our next cruise.

It was an experience that we talk about often. Yes, we survived without A/C, no hot breakfast or lunch. We were told to use our own bathroom facilities due to no flushing. However, by dinner time we had the dinners prepared as the crew did every other night and the food was great. I remember crew taking handicap passengers up the stairs because elevators did not work. The Captain and crew were great.

Since I do not know anything about the operation of a ship, I would assume that the Caribbean Princess has a more major problem than a transformer.

I am sure there are those of you that maybe encountered similiar situations on a cruise. It is one I will not forget. Have a good day everyone.

it seems weird to me that this issue is so well known and has gone on for so long that they would keep making itineraries that don't work with the propulsion issues. why wouldn't they have this ship do some costals or other itineraries it could handle wiht out having to chanege ports constantly.

it seems weird to me that this issue is so well known and has gone on for so long that they would keep making itineraries that don't work with the propulsion issues. why wouldn't they have this ship do some costals or other itineraries it could handle wiht out having to chanege ports constantly.

The last time princess did some short cruises from ft. lauderdale (on Caribbean) some of them

were basically free -- get the entire cruise fare back as a credit towards a future cruise.

Probably not a good business model.

And, for a year or two, people kept asking 'when will princess have that deal again -- I'm waiting until

they do to book'.

The downside of offering a crazy low price is that your customers get the idea that that is the

value of what you are selling.

oh i don't mean at discount, i just mean an actual itinerary that works for the propulsion. shorter jaunts or more sea days fewer ports, etc.

Which is what Princess has done for our itinerary on 11th April 2018! Completely changed it to Eastern Caribbean from Southern. I'm on a 20 day cruise, the following one being a partial Panama Canal and then Limon and other ports which have been changed around, which is why I haven't cancelled. Also I already have air booked.

However this far out, if there are any more changes I will be cancelling. Seems it doesn't pay to book so far out.

The Caribbean Princess leaves Ft. Lauderdale in a couple of months (Oct. 21) for a 10-day cruise which includes a partial transit through the new, larger Panama Canal locks.

Like you, my wife and I are always happy to be on a cruise ship.

Derrick

Now it is my turn to make a correction...Meant to say October 2017. You would have thought I'd know that since I'm cruising THIS year! Just made final payment. OOPS.

Which is what Princess has done for our itinerary on 11th April 2018! Completely changed it to Eastern Caribbean from Southern. I'm on a 20 day cruise, the following one being a partial Panama Canal and then Limon and other ports which have been changed around, which is why I haven't cancelled. Also I already have air booked.

However this far out, if there are any more changes I will be cancelling. Seems it doesn't pay to book so far out.

We are booked on this cruise too. (Only booked 2 weeks ago) We found out just yesterday that the ports have changed. No emails and nothing from the travel agents. Just found it on the cruise personaliser.

Not very happy as the ports they have changed to are exactly the same (bar one) on the cruise we completed this April just gone. So I'm doing the same cruise again basically. If ide know about these issues I wouldn't have booked it. Can't cancel as flights are booked.

We sailed on the Aug. 17 British isles itinerary. There was an additional technical issue that came up after we sailed away from Guernsey on our cruise. We had already been delayed from our scheduled departure time. We ended up getting to our next port (Cobh, Ireland) around four hours late. They also delayed our departure from there. After the captain made the announcement about the technical problem, the lights in our corridor dimmed down to the emergency lighting level for 10 to 15 seconds. I was walking back to our cabin at the time. I'm not sure how many other areas of the ship were affected.

I talked to a crew member about the ongoing problems. He said the ship is currently limited to 17 knots. When it's fixed, it will be able to do up to 24 knots with favorable wind and currents. He did not know when they were going to fix it and did not say exactly what is wrong.

We leave in about 30 days. We're not as worried as we were months ago when we booked, as we've kept up, and see nothing except speed has been effected. Our itinerary change for our

Oct. 7 voyage was very minor. Wish us luck !! I'm starting to pack now !!!

We are on the Oct. 7th cruise also. The changes weren't a big deal to us either. However, I am praying Hurricane Irma won't necessitate any changes.