Technical issues on Caribbean Princess

maz48

I believe the problem is with the gas turbine/generator set on the ship. The Caribbean Princess is a twin electric drive ship with 4 diesel generator sets and a gas turbine generator set.

The diesel’s burn bunker fuel which is pretty dirty. This is not generally an issue unless the ship is in an environmentally sensitive area. When they need to operate in a sensitive area - Glacier Bay National Park, for example, they shut down the diesels and use the gas turbine, which uses low sulphur kerosene (jet fuel) for clean, reduced power operation.

Now the interesting thing is the 4 diesels can generate enough electricity to power the ship up to about 20 knots. To go faster, they need the extra power from the gas turbine set to get to full speed.

I believe the Caribbean Princess needs major work on the gas turbine set, which is a big job. They don’t have the power available to get to full speed.

This is engineering speculation on my part. (I’m an engineer and this is based on my general knowledge of the power systems on Princess’ bigger ships) If someone knows the real story, let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is what someone on the CB learned while on a Panama sailing this month

Learned a few things about the CB’s propulsion issues after talking to officers today: there is an electrical problem with the motors driving one of the propellers, resulting in a reduced maximum RPM of the propeller shaft. The other side must also be reduced in RPM to match, so the effective reduction in speed is approximately two knots. This is not an easy repair, so the CB will be going back into drydock in May 2019, earlier than originally scheduled, for repairs. This will be an extended drydock, lasting about 30 days.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I believe the problem is with the gas turbine/generator set on the ship. The Caribbean Princess is a twin electric drive ship with 4 diesel generator sets and a gas turbine generator set.

The diesel’s burn bunker fuel which is pretty dirty. This is not generally an issue unless the ship is in an environmentally sensitive area. When they need to operate in a sensitive area - Glacier Bay National Park, for example, they shut down the diesels and use the gas turbine, which uses low sulphur kerosene (jet fuel) for clean, reduced power operation.

Now the interesting thing is the 4 diesels can generate enough electricity to power the ship up to about 20 knots. To go faster, they need the extra power from the gas turbine set to get to full speed.

I believe the Caribbean Princess needs major work on the gas turbine set, which is a big job. They don’t have the power available to get to full speed.

This is engineering speculation on my part. (I’m an engineer and this is based on my general knowledge of the power systems on Princess’ bigger ships) If someone knows the real story, let us know.

I was told (in simple terms) one of the four engines can only go to 18 knots..the other three can do 24 knots. To avoid shaking all engines must run at the same speed. It is not a safety issue but Princess needed to revise the itinerary and make adjustments regarding ports and duration of stops. To fix this proplem (that started two weeks out of their dry dock this April)..cruises would have had to be cancelled to fix...so instead they are waiting until 2019 for a scheduled drydock.

Interesting discussion about the propulsion problems of the CB. The two screws are powered by two electric motors. I understand about the four diesel generators that deliver the electrical power required by the electric motors and hence the screws. The diesel generators are literally huge and have to be running at the same speed to counterbalance each other otherwise the ship would get vibration. So if one of them is not able to reach full speed/output, then one or all three of the others would have to be slowed down and hence the speed of the ship would be reduced. I did knew about the gas turbine generator and what it was basically used for (antipollution measures). I did not know that it was required to add to the four diesel generators to get the ship above 20 knots. All an interesting discussion to me (also an engineer). I will stay tuned for any more information about the CB's propulsion problem.

Learned a few things about the CB’s propulsion issues after talking to officers today: there is an electrical problem with the motors driving one of the propellers, resulting in a reduced maximum RPM of the propeller shaft. The other side must also be reduced in RPM to match, so the effective reduction in speed is approximately two knots. This is not an easy repair, so the CB will be going back into drydock in May 2019, earlier than originally scheduled, for repairs. This will be an extended drydock, lasting about 30 days.

Thanks for the explanation.

I can’t think of an electrical problem that wouldn’t limit the rpm if a ‘motor’ that would not have started until a couple weeks after the last large repair of the drive system. But obviously my undserstanding it to that degree isn’t important. Just curious.

I suppose I can understand waiting until the next drydock to repair it.

Thanks again

Chris

Checking the Caribbean’s cruises there’s a gap between 4/13/19 until 5/14/19. The cruises before & after those dates are at Ft Lauderdale which is an indication that the drydock would be in the Bahamas. The cruise on 5/14 is a 4 day cruise roundtrip Ft Lauderdale to Cozumel.

Most of us who are here on CC, are seasoned travelers. We are on the CB this fall for the TA cruise. When we received word about the changes, we were fine with it as we have never been across the pond, so each port is new and we love sea days. So we paid the final payment and are getting excited about the cruise. We were also on the CB this past winter for our warm weather in the winter cruise we take every year. But, going forward, with all we now know about this particular ship, we would look at other itineries before booking on the CB until this gets fixed. Our down payment for our future cruise(s) is always done with future cruise credits. If I am not mistaken, that can be moved to another cruise if we were to switch from the CB to another ship. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

So, I'm asking, since most of us know what's going on with this ship, we are mostly experienced travlers, why aren't we changing our cruises to others, especially those 9 months away? There's plenty of time to get your money put towards another cruise without loosing a cent If we all would stop booking this ship, they would get the message and get her fixed? If you haven't made final payment, why stay on her?

I’m booked on CB for the May 11 2018 ABC Island itinerary. I have bee on CB four times between 2006 and 2010. I think it was around 2008 that it started having issues causing it to miss ports when it was doing summer itineraries between NY and the Caribbean. The only reason that I booked this ship was because of the itinerary. I booked an obstructed view knowing that the price would come down. I just checked the price of this cruise for the category that I’m booked in and the price dropped $230 pp. plus I received 150 OBC and 1 night in a specialty restaurant. I’m still on the fence about canceling this cruise given the mechanical situation. I don’t want to be in one of those situations that the Carnival line is famous for.

They have stated safety is not at issue nor is any thing else. We will be on her in August 2018 and despite the annoying fact that they have changed our itinerary 4 times we are still going

Yep, it’s not an issue until it is. The Titanic was an unsinkable ship until it hit an iceberg.

Even assuming complete failure of the shaft with electrical issues, the ship could easily return to port at 12 knots or so on one propeller.

Undoubtedly with lots of vibration and considerable steering compensation but not unsafe or stranded adrift.

Cheng75 or other bonafide engineers correct me if I am wrong please.

Even assuming complete failure of the shaft with electrical issues, the ship could easily return to port at 12 knots or so on one propeller.

Undoubtedly with lots of vibration and considerable steering compensation but not unsafe or stranded adrift.

As long as they could feather the non-working shaft, they should make about 14-15 knots on one shaft. Vibration would not be any worse than going at full speed on two shafts, and may actually be less. Steering compensation would also not be that great. 95% of the ships sailing the oceans have only one propeller, and unlike cruise ships, they only have one engine attached to that shaft, not like having 5-6 generators electrically connected to the one shaft on a cruise ship.

I don't know how many knots the ship could actually do with only one screw but there would not be any vibration from it. It would be a small challenge to the steering of the ship but not that big of a problem. The key here is that they can feather the other screw to eliminate drag. It is indeed a great idea to have dual screws and dual diesel generators.

• 2 months later...

As I mentioned in my LIVE From (link in my sig), at the CC Meet & Greet I asked the Captain for details about the propulsion. Nothing to do with the diesel engines or generation. One of the electric motors that drive the propellers has an electrical problem with one of the windings. This results in a lower maximum RPM for that propeller, which necessitates driving the other one as the same reduced RPM. The net loss of speed is about two knots. Since this is a major repair, the Captain said it couldn't be fixed until she went into an early drydock in April of 2019, which will be relatively long, lasting 30 days. He said the problem became apparent shortly after she left her previous drydock, which is why Princess knows all itineraries are going to affected until April 2019.

As I mentioned in my LIVE From (link in my sig), at the CC Meet & Greet I asked the Captain for details about the propulsion. Nothing to do with the diesel engines or generation. One of the electric motors that drive the propellers has an electrical problem with one of the windings. This results in a lower maximum RPM for that propeller, which necessitates driving the other one as the same reduced RPM. The net loss of speed is about two knots. Since this is a major repair, the Captain said it couldn't be fixed until she went into an early drydock in April of 2019, which will be relatively long, lasting 30 days. He said the problem became apparent shortly after she left her previous drydock, which is why Princess knows all itineraries are going to affected until April 2019.

Basically what I said in post #145, back in July.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anymore about technical issues. You would think if this has happened in the past they would be fixing it.

Were still going on cruise April 1, and hope it runs smoothly.

Four posts before yours explained the situation which will be repaired during a lengthy April 2019 drydock to correct the problem resulting in a 2 knot per hour reduction in speed.