New Level at Captain's Club??

sbalax

Personally I'd give up all my Captain's Club perks if Celebrity would go back in time and provide the great service, food and attention to detail that they did back in 2002.

I believe you'll need to stumble across a bottle with a Genie inside for that to happen. :)

Maybe this is a good place to state what we'd value if such a program were to be put in place. Things which would make a difference to me would be:

more drycleaning

more pressing

more internet minutes

I'm not fond of the way the laundry sent out in bags comes back all smushed and wrinkled. And more internet minutes are always welcome.

I realize that different perks have different appeal to people. Just thought this might be a good place to toss out what would be of value to you.

I think the older we become, the more we tend to reminisce about the past; I believe that is only natural.

Celebrity, IMHO has a good product that may become even better with the Edge class of ships; however, that won't happen for over a year, so who knows what it will bring except higher pricing.

Yes, there are so many games nowadays that sometimes It is exhausting trying to figure out all the rules to reach the top. I do not plan on being Zenith, but will reach Elite Plus sometime in the near future. It was never in my overall plan, but it isn't anything I tote around for people to see either. It just is what it is. I have learned to adapt to change by many methods, not always by embracing it...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another suggestion for a perk for a higher level would be a free soft drinks package or upgrade to the top package if you already have the classic package? Internet minutes are also always welcome [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with the comment about reminiscing. The past always seems better...maybe it was maybe it wasnt.

If Celebrity are thinking of enhancing the programme thats a good thing isnt it?

This is a competitive business and I guess they are trying to figure if it makes good business se

nse. Reading some of the post I wouldnt be sure. Me, I count my blessings and will be happy with any extras on offer!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

I agree that the number of points needed to get from elite plus to zenith are out of range for most cruisers. I got to elite years ago. Happy at that level. Got to elite plus a few years ago. When I saw the point level to get to Zenith, I laughed. Not in my lifetime. After becoming elite plus, I didn't give advancing another thought. It wasn't happening. Not all lines give away perks for loyalty. Some cruise lines are so good that people keep coming back for the pleasure of the experience. Some offer free internet, free specialty coffees and soft drinks, free specialty dining venues, extended room service, and included events and excursions. Some refuse tips. These are extended to everyone. While I appreciate the perks of the CaptainsClub, it is the entire cruise experience that gets me to book cruises. I like Celebrity. I used to like it more. The experience keeps slipping. The added perks of elite plus compared to elite are ok. I enjoy the laundry, added internet time, and free coffee. Am I completely loyal to Celebrity? NO! I used to sail 3-4 times a year on Celebrity. Now I sail on Celebrity once a year. Now that I am retired, I take more cruises. The Celebrity experience needs to change to keep its loyal guests happy. New menus, better entertainment, more new books in the library, a better buffet experience, fewer additional charges, better beds, ice and ice water in cabins without asking, etc. each time I sail on Celebrity, there are more sales pitches to buy something. Paying extra for a burger is hitting a new low. Celebrity keeps cutting services and increasing prices. If I compare Celebrity to other lines, it is often more attractive to sail on other lines.I sail on other lines more often. When you look at what's included in the cruise fare, Celebrity seems to be too high. My last 2 cruises were on Windstar. My next cruise is on Oceania. I also enjoy Viking. One of the loyalty perks that other lines offer is a reduction in the fare. A discount of 5-15% off the fare is a real attraction. Booking within 60 days of disembarkation gets 5% extra off a future cruise.

I agree with the comment about reminiscing. The past always seems better...maybe it was maybe it wasnt.

If Celebrity are thinking of enhancing the programme thats a good thing isnt it?

This is a competitive business and I guess they are trying to figure if it makes good business se

nse. Reading some of the post I wouldnt be sure. Me, I count my blessings and will be happy with any extras on offer!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

We consider anything we get from Captain's Club as a nice extra and not something we deserve. I will say that we do look to book both Royal and Celebrity before other lines in part due to the the nice extras and we like the Royal and Celebrity products/services too. We like other lines too, like Princess and HAL and get no benefits from them that I can recall. 2 HAL cruises, 3 Princess cruises.

I agree that the number of points needed to get from elite plus to zenith are out of range for most cruisers. I got to elite years ago. Happy at that level. Got to elite plus a few years ago. When I saw the point level to get to Zenith, I laughed. Not in my lifetime. After becoming elite plus, I didn't give advancing another thought. It wasn't happening. Not all lines give away perks for loyalty. Some cruise lines are so good that people keep coming back for the pleasure of the experience. Some offer free internet, free specialty coffees and soft drinks, free specialty dining venues, extended room service, and included events and excursions. Some refuse tips. These are extended to everyone. While I appreciate the perks of the CaptainsClub, it is the entire cruise experience that gets me to book cruises. I like Celebrity. I used to like it more. The experience keeps slipping. The added perks of elite plus compared to elite are ok. I enjoy the laundry, added internet time, and free coffee. Am I completely loyal to Celebrity? NO! I used to sail 3-4 times a year on Celebrity. Now I sail on Celebrity once a year. Now that I am retired, I take more cruises. The Celebrity experience needs to change to keep its loyal guests happy. New menus, better entertainment, more new books in the library, a better buffet experience, fewer additional charges, better beds, ice and ice water in cabins without asking, etc. each time I sail on Celebrity, there are more sales pitches to buy something. Paying extra for a burger is hitting a new low. Celebrity keeps cutting services and increasing prices. If I compare Celebrity to other lines, it is often more attractive to sail on other lines.I sail on other lines more often. When you look at what's included in the cruise fare, Celebrity seems to be too high. My last 2 cruises were on Windstar. My next cruise is on Oceania. I also enjoy Viking. One of the loyalty perks that other lines offer is a reduction in the fare. A discount of 5-15% off the fare is a real attraction. Booking within 60 days of disembarkation gets 5% extra off a future cruise.

Celebrity and Royal had such a wide range of cruisers that it made some sense to create the levels they did. I think a between level is a positive step as you want to encourage people to attainable goals.

Alternatively, they could have not created Zenith and just tracked the 'whales' of causing and taken care of them privately! That would have worked too. I might think they still do some nice unmentioned extras on occasion for the Zenith Pluses ( those exceeding the Zenith level points required) out there. :)

I like Celebrity. I used to like it more. The experience keeps slipping. ...... Paying extra for a burger is hitting a new low. Celebrity keeps cutting services and increasing prices. If I compare Celebrity to other lines, it is often more attractive to sail on other lines.I sail on other lines more often. When you look at what's included in the cruise fare, Celebrity seems to be too high. My last 2 cruises were on Windstar. My next cruise is on Oceania. I also enjoy Viking. One of the loyalty perks that other lines offer is a reduction in the fare. A discount of 5-15% off the fare is a real attraction. Booking within 60 days of disembarkation gets 5% extra off a future cruise.

I agree with you. My first cruise was on the Zenith in 1993 and I can still remember some of the cold soups that were incredible. Also scallops, which I adore, that were among the best ever. I was a Food Service Officer in the Air Force way back when and I remember at the time wondering how it was possible to serve such amazing food in such a large setting. Sadly, those experiences are long gone. I do think a memorable meal is still possible at the Lawn Club Grill, but I resent having to pay extra to get it.

I'll make Zenith in about 5 more cruises.....but, except for one, they won't be on Celebrity. Discounts off the fare are a more meaningful perk for me so I've switched to Azamara. As Elite +, their discount for booking onboard is 7% plus a potful of OBC (Zenith is 10%). The OBCs more than pay for unlimited internet. With drinks, tips, coffees, and a few other things already included, for me, it's actually cost effective. If X comes up with another tier and if their website ever gets fixed, I'll revisit their offerings.

Just saying this as a long time cruiser on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. What I have noticed is that in the last several years the two cruise lines appear to now value suite passengers more than loyalty passengers.

A perfect example to support my thinking is the new Edge ship with all the fabulous suite amenities. Nothing new was added to Edge for higher tier loyalty passengers, unless of course they are in a suite, but the amenity is for the suite, not the loyalty tier.

The Edge is what makes me think there probably won't be a new loyalty tier between Elite Plus and Zenith because both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean (where the long haul is from Diamond Plus to Pinnacle) don't get nearly the revenue from ordinary frequent cruisers that they do from suite passengers and that is why they are rewarding suite passengers to a far greater degree than high tier loyalty cruisers.

We are Diamond Plus on Royal and will reach Elite Plus this year on Celebrity. We probably won't ever reach Pinnacle or Zenith due to our age. Of course, every passenger can choose a suite if they want the attractive perks that come with a suite, but Hubby and I choose to cruise very often, so that's why we don't book suites, wanting instead to be very frequent cruisers. Of course, it would be really nice if we could do both.

I tend to disagree. I didn't keep sailing Celebrity because I wanted to become Elite Plus. I didn't keep continuing to sail Celebrity because I wanted to become Zenith. I continued to sail Celebrity because I liked the product. Granted, once I became close to Zenith I was anxious to become Zenith......but I didn't keep sailing solely to become Zenith. I believe that if someone strays from Celebrity and cruises another line, it's because they are not satisfied anymore with the Celebrity product........not because "they'll never reach Zenith".

Well said!

• 1 month later...

When they changed the way points were counted several years ago I lost interest in the whole system. We now book cruises based on which veranda stateroom or higher we can get at the best price and the location of our choice regardless of points. We've also cruised with several other cruise lines due to itineraries that we enjoyed and found that other cruise lines do as well or better than Celebrity. Frankly, I don't think Celebrity much cares about those people who are new cruisers or even Elite, it's those passengers who spend the most money on any given cruise. In my opinion they would accomplish more by encouraging those who are new or have potential to become loyal cruisers. I think they are focusing on the wrong end of the spectrum all too much and often.

One more comment from me on this topic. I really think Celebrity should consider a sliding scale rewards system that permits cruisers to obtain rewards along a continuum. This way people could receive some reward early in their cruising career and develop a portfolio of rewards over time. By doing this, Celebrity can recognize people earlier and you don't have to wait years to achieve some reward for your dedication to Celebrity and cruising. It seems a much more competent way to offer rewards and develop a loyal following provided you continue to develop good service and updates and a cruise line.

One more comment from me on this topic. I really think Celebrity should consider a sliding scale rewards system that permits cruisers to obtain rewards along a continuum. This way people could receive some reward early in their cruising career and develop a portfolio of rewards over time. By doing this, Celebrity can recognize people earlier and you don't have to wait years to achieve some reward for your dedication to Celebrity and cruising. It seems a much more competent way to offer rewards and develop a loyal following provided you continue to develop good service and updates and a cruise line.

Should be noted that Celebrity revised their Loyalty program to control escalating program costs. They tried to make it harder to go from Select, with few benefits to Elite, where some real benefits kick in. I don't think that they ever believed that the additional levels, Elite+ and Zenith would take off the way they did. Almost at the same time they added the levels they changed their emphasis from "Loyalty" to high margin spenders, Suite passengers.

Another perk that I would like to see, if there is a new level between Elite + and Zenith, is a reduced rate for solo cruisers. Royal does this. When you reach a certain point between D+ and Pinnacle, your solo fare is reduced to 150%. They really don't need a new CC level. They could just do it at the midway point between Elite + and Zenith.

Another perk that I would like to see, if there is a new level between Elite + and Zenith, is a reduced rate for solo cruisers. Royal does this. When you reach a certain point between D+ and Pinnacle, your solo fare is reduced to 150%. They really don't need a new CC level. They could just do it at the midway point between Elite + and Zenith.

Not too long ago Celebrity decided to give double points to singles paying 200%. I believe that that was the right thing to do. However, this resulted in a good number of singles moving to the Zenith level fairly quickly. One recent single Zenith made it in just 14 cruises! As long as ships are cruising full and singles continue to pay, I seriously doubt that Celebrity will consider any price reductions for singles.

There is nothing new in this post that I haven't said before:

What Celebrity has been missing, and might finally be realizing is that as one gets closer to a new reward stimulates business. Many people set their goals based on new status and/or perks. This is how many apps keep you on their screens.(Just a good piece on 60 Minutes about this). This is an old, but effective tactic. I've noticed that when a passenger closing in on the Zenith level tends to cruise more. They want to reach the new level. My guess from reading posts over many years that cruising patterns change as one is closing in on any new level. More cruising means more business and profits. Zenith perks are wonderful, yet some of the highest number Zeniths have given themselves a new name "Double Zenith". This comes at 6000 points. We will soon have a triple Zenith who earned his points on Celebrity ships. These people are beginning to ask for additional perks. I agree that their loyalty should be recognized and that would serve to motivate Zeniths to try to reach another level. The points needed to go from Elite+ to Zenith serve to discourage some from even thinking about reaching a new level. Once that happens they may lose interest and gravitate to another line. making a goal appear reachable and achievable is a key factor in keeping people interested. I would urge Celebrity to consider a new level somewhere halfway, 1500 points, between Elite+ and Zenith.

Yes that is a very good idea.

I do have a suggestion the perks for Zenith to double ZZenith is one free upgrade to Suites.:)

In the long run it doesn't mean much. The more rewards, the more you pay. What do any of them really mean when they offer (paid) perks to everyone that make your rewards worth little to nothing. The more levels they add the more games they can play. Yes, it works because people are oblivious to whats going on.

In the long run it doesn't mean much. The more rewards, the more you pay. What do any of them really mean when they offer (paid) perks to everyone that make your rewards worth little to nothing. The more levels they add the more games they can play. Yes, it works because people are oblivious to whats going on.

True! Some still think that the "free" perks are really free.

After one (1) cruise, you receive e.g. a C2 for the price of a C3. After two 14-15 day trips (e.g., transatlantic, Antarctica) plus a 7 day Alaska trip and you are over 150 pnts. Nice discounts on internet etc. Two more 14-15 day trips and you are close to Elite with bigger discounts, tendering priority privileges, etc. Sounds like a reasonable way to encourage newbies. It worked for me. Note, my calculations/estimates based on 5 points/night as in Concierge or Aqua.

The points needed to go from Elite+ to Zenith serve to discourage some from even thinking about reaching a new level. Once that happens they may lose interest and gravitate to another line. making a goal appear reachable and achievable is a key factor in keeping people interested. I would urge Celebrity to consider a new level somewhere halfway, 1500 points, between Elite+ and Zenith.

Agree.

I'm not even at E+ yet, but I recall looking so forward to getting to Elite, and booking only celebrity cruises to achieve this.

IMHO, This is an important point.

At the rate I am able to cruise, I'll never make Zenith... Achievable levels, and meaningful loyalty REWARDS are important.

Agree.

I'm not even at E+ yet, but I recall looking so forward to getting to Elite, and booking only celebrity cruises to achieve this.

IMHO, This is an important point.

At the rate I am able to cruise, I'll never make Zenith... Achievable levels, and meaningful loyalty REWARDS are important.

Please explain to me what the meaningful rewards are and why they are so important.

We are Elite Plus and we usually cruise suites. With free laundry, drinks and internet the only perk we still tend to enjoy is one or two evenings in the cocktail lounge....

It would be nice part way through the long trek to Zenith to have a 'something'. Personally we would value a discount offer. "Congratulations on achieving x points. We would like to reward your loyalty by offering an X% discount on any cruise to be taken between January and December 2019".

Guests would feel their loyalty was being rewarded, Celebrity could benefit by encouraging guests to book an additional cruise....just a thought.

Please explain to me what the meaningful rewards are and why they are so important.

Hi Ma Bell. In general, I am a strong believer in loyalty benefits (I love collecting points lol).

Unfortunately, I have not (yet) been able to cruise in a suite, so loyalty benefits can still be important.

I was very happy to achieve Elite status, and take advantage of some of those benefits (related to laundry, internet access, discount on photo packages).

I would have enjoyed the cocktail hour and breakfast more, but X started offering the beverage package as a perk that I take advantage of... (so in a sense, that loyalty benefit is no longer meaningful to me).

Essentially, I was agreeing with orator (see his quote below) - it is discouraging to need so many points to advance to E+ or Zenith. This is magnified by the fact that the benefits aren't that meaningful in IMO.

The points needed to go from Elite+ to Zenith serve to discourage some from even thinking about reaching a new level. Once that happens they may lose interest and gravitate to another line. making a goal appear reachable and achievable is a key factor in keeping people interested. I would urge Celebrity to consider a new level somewhere halfway, 1500 points, between Elite+ and Zenith.

So I'm in caught between believing on loyalty and benefits, but not seeing them as achievable or meaningful ;)...

I am still a loyal customer and believer in X, BUT, I will keep my eye on other lines and offers. I may not do so if I felt my next loyalty level with X was achievable and meaningful.

It would be nice to have more meaningful benefits, even if they are "one time use" benefits only when a level is achieved.

I am willing to admit that I may still be missing something in the big picture equation of loyalty levels with X... :)