Royal Cartibean Aussie Drinks thru the roof

We didn't buy the package before boarding as I thought they were overpriced then. However we boarded, went to the MDR and checked the wine prices, checked the other drinks prices at one of the bars, did some calculations and immediately bought the packages in USD. Ultimate for DH who likes his speciality coffees, and premium for me as I usually drink tea. After the cruise I noted the exchange rate on the credit card transaction, so I have both the USD price, what we actually paid in AUD, and the relevant exchange rate. As I said earlier - it's one of the reasons we won't cruise RCI again.

I can see why. We've decided we will cruise - sans deluxe package - but like you probably won't look at rci closely again. We will look to princess next. Thanks [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just booked ovation of the seas 5 nights to Tasmania, I was comparing princess 6 nights leaving the same week.

I paid $1100 for deck 12 mid ship, the comparison on princess (albeit an additional night) was $1599,. Add in the alcohol package Royal is $220/night room plus $86 for a premium drinks package or $267/night plus $59 per day for the drink package on princess, so Royal is $306 or princess is $326 per night.

It's easy to complain about the price of alcohol, but you need to look at the bigger picture.

Either way royal Caribbean is cheaper than princess with or without the alcohol package for me.

I just booked ovation of the seas 5 nights to Tasmania, I was comparing princess 6 nights leaving the same week.

I paid $1100 for deck 12 mid ship, the comparison on princess (albeit an additional night) was $1599,. Add in the alcohol package Royal is $220/night room plus $86 for a premium drinks package or $267/night plus $59 per day for the drink package on princess, so Royal is $306 or princess is $326 per night.

It's easy to complain about the price of alcohol, but you need to look at the bigger picture.

Either way royal Caribbean is cheaper than princess with or without the alcohol package for me.

You don't have to pay extra for lobster in the MDR on Princess. ;)

That is great it works for you, it is different for many. My advice is do the research and the sums and do what is best for you.:D

That helps, Diamond club is very handy.:D

It only took us a few cruises with RCI to get to Diamond and now we enjoy free drinks every evening. As we usually don't drink during the day, that works well for us and we also have the 2 bottles brought on board.

It only took us a few cruises with RCI to get to Diamond and now we enjoy free drinks every evening. As we usually don't drink during the day, that works well for us and we also have the 2 bottles brought on board.

Yes, a very nice way to spend pre dinner with a couple of drinks and some nice conversation.

Just reading about the 10 drink card on the Royal Caribbean page. It's meant to be usd $59 plus 18% gratitudes. Has anyone ever seen this offered here?

For me this would be the better way to pre pay for drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just reading about the 10 drink card on the Royal Caribbean page. It's meant to be usd $59 plus 18% gratitudes. Has anyone ever seen this offered here?

I haven't heard of it.

My advice is do the research and the sums and do what is best for you.:D

Good advice - how things best work out will be an individual matter, dependent on personal choices/preferences. For example, whilst I enjoy a drink or two, I can't imagine that the price of a drinks package would be high on my list of choosing a cruiseline or cruise.

Yes, a very nice way to spend pre dinner with a couple of drinks and some nice conversation.

Yes, I agree - either in the DL of using the pre-loaded drinks :) I look forward to joining you and your bride on a cruise at some time in the future. Maybe we will lash out & have the lobster!

Yes, based on the comparison above they could still have lobster every night and not be paying more.

If they don't drink then maybe, but the difference including drinks packages is only AU $20 per night and the lobster was US $25 extra, maybe more - I can't remember exactly.

They had it on the Adventure in the Caribbean last September - it is advertised once on board in the compass so not for sale in the cruise planner. We bought 2 and that was adequate for us. I am hoping it is available on our cruise out of Sydney on October but it is only a hope as they do not offer it on every ship or sailing it is random.

Good advice - how things best work out will be an individual matter, dependent on personal choices/preferences. For example, whilst I enjoy a drink or two, I can't imagine that the price of a drinks package would be high on my list of choosing a cruiseline or cruise.

Yes, I agree - either in the DL of using the pre-loaded drinks :) I look forward to joining you and your bride on a cruise at some time in the future. Maybe we will lash out & have the lobster!

That would be good.:D:cool:

They had it on the Adventure in the Caribbean last September - it is advertised once on board in the compass so not for sale in the cruise planner. We bought 2 and that was adequate for us. I am hoping it is available on our cruise out of Sydney on October but it is only a hope as they do not offer it on every ship or sailing it is random.
They may not offer it for the Aussie market as I haven't seen it. I suppose time will tell.

We have done 3 cruises with RCI including a repo but we we are still only platinum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done 3 cruises with RCI including a repo but we we are still only platinum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done 4 and are still Platinum.

Have never seen the drink cards on any of the cruises, they may have been good value!!

Don't think I will make that Diamond lounge any time soon:')

We have done 4 and are still Platinum.

Have never seen the drink cards on any of the cruises, they may have been good value!!

Don't think I will make that Diamond lounge any time soon:')

If you do a cruise in a JS or above, you get double points. ;) One of our cruises gave us 38 points, another was 36, doesn't take long to get to 80 for Diamond.

But I realise some people can't do longer cruises due to work and other reasons.

If you do a cruise in a JS or above, you get double points. ;) One of our cruises gave us 38 points, another was 36, doesn't take long to get to 80 for Diamond.

But I realise some people can't do longer cruises due to work and other reasons.

Thanks Maureen, I was aware of the double points, but we rarely even book a balcony!!

Not a big fan of Voyager/Explorer but would love to do the repositioning from Hawaii on Radiance, really loved that ship:) a couple of those would get us there!!!

Are they still giving a couple of drink vouchers a day as well as the lounge for Diamond members?

As Platinum we get a couple of buy one get one free for the whole cruise, think it is only beer n wine though.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

Also remember for those who have Captain's club membership with Celebrity that at some levels the loyalty is reciprocal (i.e. Elite = Diamond)