Smaller Meals Available?

pugmadkate

A few years ago I had gastric sleeve surgery, leaving me with a much smaller stomach. I hate to waste food, and so I am careful to only prepare what I can eat. The average meal is far, far too large for me. Are smaller meals available on-board in the Main Dining Room? Is there someone on-board I should notify of this special dietary situation?

Thank you.

I would let the Special Needs department know, well in advance of your cruise date. Then check with the Dining Room Manager once you board, so you know your Dining Steward is aware of your requirements.

I just tell the waiter I want a half or a small portion.... no problems.

I just tell the waiter I want a half or a small portion.... no problems.

I've had problems with some Dining Stewards thinking I should eat a full-sized meal. For me, smaller portions are a preference, not a requirement. On multiple occasions, I've asked for "half" of the main course, and received a regular-sized meal. If smaller portions were a requirement I'd make certain that someone in authority knew. Saves any discomfort or explanation at the dining table. JMHO.

When we used to eat in the dining room, I would tell our waiter I wanted only a little of this and a little of that.

But you need to be in fixed dining and get to know your waiter.

Open Seating can be more difficult as you may not get the same waiters each evening who will know what you want.

I have not had much luck asking for "half portions". Even when I had a running joke with the dining stewards about "baby portions". Be sure to let your stewards also so they don't ask you if you did not like the dinner if you leave much of it behind.

Sometimes you simply have to push the extra portion size aside, and not worry about the waste. If they already made it and it does not get served as a full portion, it will be wasted anyway. My guess is once they see a pattern of routine waste, they will adjust their offerings accordingly.

I think ultimately they do have a very efficient system that plans well and runs as waste efficient as possible. Waste is lost money and by know they seem to know how many people will order liver and onions and how many will want double portions of the lobster. Plus they also have to deal with those who complain the portions are too small.

Agree, you can make a very nice meal simply from the appetizer menu selecting several items. Or order the dinner salad for a lighter entree. That is what I do now - no hot food that way, but the salads are quite nice. That is where the appetizer comes in for the "main cause" followed by the salad course. Just like they do it in Europe anyway.

You aren't "wasting" anything...it's prepared, whether you eat it all or not. Just eat what you want.

I bet that when folks get a smaller portion, someone, probably the waiter, took some extra time out, replated a full portion into a smaller portion, and threw the rest away. So arguably it is the smaller portions that are wasteful (the extra plate to wash, and I suppose the waiter's extra time spent too).

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

In addition to the excellent advice you have already received, I will just add that the portions in the MDR are fairly modest. You won't get servings anywhere as large as those in many American casual restaurants.

If all else fails, you could eat in the buffet. Meals and portions come in all sizes. And you'll have the friendliest and most efficient service - self-service :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find it much easier to eat correctly post surgery on a cruise ship than at home. I simply seriously limit what I order and therefore can eat. I also stay away from finger foods available at certain times of the day and never eat chips, etc.

I do not drink alcohol or sugar sodas or go to the Teas. . At cocktail time I stick with water with lime, and for very special occasions I have a glass of soda water with a twist.

At home there is always the kitchen, refrigerator, etc. many times a day. On the ship you usually can find food but you must go to it. On one 72 day cruise I only gained 1 lb. Does it take will power - of course. Is it fun - not until you see the results.

Oh, and I walk a lot most days - sea days and shore days.

In addition to the excellent advice you have already received, I will just add that the portions in the MDR are fairly modest. You won't get servings anywhere as large as those in many American casual restaurants.

This...at least on our Zuiderdam cruise in March.

My husband and I commented on more than one occasion how we felt the portions sizes were MUCH more modest than a regular restaurant, and we so appreciated that.

A few years ago I had gastric sleeve surgery, leaving me with a much smaller stomach. I hate to waste food, and so I am careful to only prepare what I can eat. The average meal is far, far too large for me. Are smaller meals available on-board in the Main Dining Room? Is there someone on-board I should notify of this special dietary situation?

Thank you.

I've had success by asking for a "child size portion".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello! I was sleeved 12 years ago, and can only speak about my experience on board... and as you can see from replies, everyone has a different experience.

First, let me say I was pleasantly surprised that the standard portion sizes in the main dining room are already actually reasonable and not huge. I only have Carnival to compare with HAL, but HAL food seems to be quality over quantity when comparing the two.

My "tips" based off my experience:

- Don't feel the need to order every course.

- If you have a dining companion who is used to american restaurant sizes, they may want to help finish what you can not.

- I never felt the need to explain to any staff why I didn't finish the plate. If asked if something was wrong with my meal, I simply replied with a smile that it was perfectly delicious, I just wasn't all to hungry and wanted to enjoy some of it.

- In the Main Dining room, plates are for the most part pre-plated, asking for a half works if they have plated half portions (which seems they do for some dishes and not others). If not, they will probably just send out a full plate. Don't feel obligated to eat it all, I know the waste is annoying, but if it went un-ordered the entire thing would be thrown out at the end of service. It is how large-scale-catering works for the most part.

- In the Lido Buffet on HAL food is prepared behind glass and handed to you by staff (so much cleaner, imo). You are standing right there, it is very easy to dictate how much. I often would say "less of this or that" or "half of that" and they obliged every time.

Hope this helps. The beauty of cruising post-op is the variety of food options, many healthy options!

Thank you.

I love fresh veggies but abhor cooked ones. So on our last cruise I asked for a half steak & potatoes but no cooked veggies, I would have a salad for an appetizer. Worked perfectly. Also, neither the staff or my table mates were asking me what was wrong with the veggies or why aren't you eating your vegetables.

Gotta say that on our last two cruises (Koningsdam and Rotterdam), we found the MDR portions to be small but adequate. Most nights we would skip one course (soup) or sometimes two courses (soup and desert).

Lido servers did not seem to understand the word 'small' and we found portions to be unhealthily large!

Like you, we like MDR dinners, and prefer a set time. At breakfast and dinner, we usually go to the Lido, and were pleasantly surprised to discover the many "little plates" in various areas. Many varieties, and always small portions, nicely presented.

Portions are small, you just don't need to order as many courses and then you will keep your intake amounts down. They are dishing up hundreds of meals at one time and asking for a smaller portion when they are already small would really cause the staff more work and complications.

Currently posting from Zaandam in the Gulf of Alaska :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums