Family hours for indoor pools on Alaska cruises?

mkschles

Do you know if they open the indoor adult only pool up to families during certain hours for Alaskan cruises on the millennium class ships? It's probably too cold to use the outdoor pools so I wondered if they allowed potty trained kids from 2 to 3:30 every day or something. I feel like I read that somewhere but can't find anything else that says that. Maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part!

We'll be on the Infinity in July with our two kids who love to swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why wouldn't they just use the regular pool? There is nothing special about the pool in the Solarium.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Because it's Alaska and they are not members of the Polar Bear Club. EM

Because it's Alaska and they are not members of the Polar Bear Club. EM

Alaska actually gets warm or hot in the summer. It isn't that bad.

When I was younger we would swim in Lake Superior, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. The water may seem cool or cold but we got "use" to it. I remember almost being blue when we got out. Kids don't care. I had a swimming pool in Mi, it wasn't heated and the kids would go in it in May.

And if they are really swimmers they want the water cool or on the colder side. It isn't a hot tub.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

They are two and five. If they could swim while I watch from the sidelines I would toss them in. This south Texas momma can't deal with cold water.

I agree...I wouldn't call Lake Michigan at 55 degrees swimable either.

They are two and five. If they could swim while I watch from the sidelines I would toss them in. This south Texas momma can't deal with cold water.

I was raised in Michigan - Lake Huron and Lake Michigan were just fine, except in winter! Even Lake Superior northwest of SS Marie was OK in summer. Learned to SCUBA dive with only a short wetsuit.

We have now lived in north Texas for almost 40 years - gotta have the water warm. Love the solarium! And we do not mind sharing the pool during family time beach day.

Back to the topic of swimming in the Solarium pools, if the captain decides to authorize "family time" in this otherwise adults only area, it will be printed in the Daily. Late afternoon (around 5) is not uncommon, but each itinerary is different.

Alaska actually gets warm or hot in the summer. It isn't that bad.

When I was younger we would swim in Lake Superior, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.

And if they are really swimmers they want the water cool or on the colder side. It isn't a hot tub.

LOL, seriously? Of course you can swim in the great lakes, but many folks are used to warmer weather and warmer water, so it's very reasonable to be asking about the solarium pool for an Alaskan cruise. Alaska gets warm, but it still isn't like being in the south for example, where summer days are routinely in the 90's and ocean temp easily gets up to the mid 80's and feels like a bathtub. Even on warmer Alaska days, the evenings cool off and when that happens, the outdoor pools cool off too. And I doubt most kids on a cruise ship are wanting to use the pool for competitive swimming practice. :rolleyes:

I've cruised to Alaska 8 times on 8 vessels. Unless the outdoor pools are heated, it is too cold and rainy to enjoy them. Yes- sometimes it is sunny and warm while in port, but the water temperature (unless heated) is very cold. We tried to use the outdoor pools on Solstice and it was just Freezing. Keep in mind- there as no sun to even help us dry off, so we ran to the Solarium to warm up. It's fair to allow children to use the indoor pools for at least an hour. We were only in the indoor pool during those designated times. We did get some looks because the other passengers aren't aware that there are "family" hours in that pool.

With children that love to swim- I recommend doing Star Princess or any Princess vessel that has an indoor pool to Alaska. They are available all day to families with kids.

• Thanks 1

We have also seen different times. I think the family time was longer on sea days...as Cruisestitch said, check your daily.

On sea days be especially carefully with your kids - the water can slosh around quite violently when the ship is moving, very much so if the seas are a little rough.

On sea days be especially carefully with your kids - the water can slosh around quite violently when the ship is moving, very much so if the seas are a little rough.

Thank you!

I'm glad that I didn't just imagine that I read that then. Whew! Thanks everyone.

There is definitely family time set up for the Solarium pool. I know you mentioned the Millie but have never sailed on her ... but have sailed on the Infinity, which has a Tholassotherapy pool (sp?) ... it is so nice and warm. The kids will enjoy it ... but not sure if you will be able to throw them in from the side. The one on the Infinity has metal benches on two sides in the more shallow water and water spouts on the corners. It might be possible if the pool is indeed the same on the Millie as it is on the Infinity. Either way, they will enjoy it.

I remember seeing signs designating the hours kids could use the Solarium pool. I would think the length of time allowed would depend on how many kids are sailing on the ship. I've seen it for an hour, maybe two before but don't tend to go on cruises when the kiddos are not in school.

The one requirement for any cruise I go on up to Alaska is that it have an indoor pool area. I hate being really cold when I get out of the water.

Depends on the discretion of the captain. I was on the Solstice last month (Alaska), and the hours for the "family swim" didn't start until the third or fourth day of the cruise. Maybe someone complained about the kids having to use the outside pools? Anyway, the hours were from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Honestly, I'm not sure if there would've been family hours at all, but it was raining for most of the trip, so that may have had something to do with it.

Interestingly enough, I saw both kids and adults in the outdoor pools, anyway. They had a much higher tolerance for cold water than I did!