What's The One Helpful Thing You Wish You Knew About Marina Before Your Cruise

Mylisa

Do you know if you can use the crew gangplank to disembark in St. Petersburg? How do you find the crew gangplank from inside the ship?

St Petersburg is different because everyone wants to get off.

The ships passengers were divided into 2 large groups- those with Oceania tours and those with private tours. The private tour people joined a line from the gangway exit on 5 forward near the front desk back through the hall and through Jacques. Line up early to avoid a long wait at passport control.

The Oceania crowd met in the Marina theatre lounge and used the Crew gangway on 4. (1 flight down)

What I refer to as the crew gangway is from deck 4 forward. It is the same opening in the ship as the tender platform. It is on the same level as the medical centre. There is elevator and stair access.

There was no covered passageway into the terminal in St. Petersburg. You use one or other of the gangways

The gift shops are TINY, very few items, sundries are almost non-existent. We had $2k in OBC and nothing to spend it on!

Mid-cruise and cruise-end questionnaires are distributed. Use them to report even your smallest concern. You WILL be contacted and made whole.

4:00 tea in Horizons. Go. Enjoy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

The gift shops are TINY' date=' very few items, sundries are almost non-existent. We had $2k in OBC and nothing to spend it on!

[/quote']

Not my experience but it depends on what you want to buy

I had no trouble spending our $2k OBC & we only have 1 -2 drinks per day so it was not on alcohol

YMMD

I would not think so as you need the F2F with Russian officials/quote]

Not so. We were just there. Marina used both gangways in SPB. One for private groups and one for Marina tours. They both lead to the dock. You walk a few yards to the entrance to the terminal.

Ship's crew controlled the numbers getting off at one time to prevent crowds in the terminal. Russia is different. We didn't have to show our passports at any other Baltic port. We just breezed through.

Not my experience but it depends on what you want to buy

I had no trouble spending our $2k OBC & we only have 1 -2 drinks per day so it was not on alcohol

YMMD

Just got off the Riviera and there was nothing left in men's or women's mid range clothing sizes. Replenishment was not expected for 14 days.

Our OBC was not large enough to cover the expense of the jewelry on board.

Just got off the Riviera and there was nothing left in men's or women's mid range clothing sizes. Replenishment was not expected for 14 days.

Our OBC was not large enough to cover the expense of the jewelry on board.

That is often the case towards the end of the cruise when people are feverishly looking to spend their non-refundable OBC.

I try to estimate how much OBC I will have left (usually easy for us as we do not drink) and look for things we might want earlier in the cruise (clothing, jewelry, etc).

That is my big complaint with the shops the company for the shops do not stock many larger sizes & do not restock inbetween cruises

We were on for 3 wks last year asked if they had other men's shorts as DH decided he only need to pack 1 pr

Anyway they said no more stock ...3 days later they had several tables of shorts, long pants on sale

I think they were too lazy to go look in the store room

JMO

That is often the case towards the end of the cruise when people are feverishly looking to spend their non-refundable OBC.

I try to estimate how much OBC I will have left (usually easy for us as we do not drink) and look for things we might want earlier in the cruise (clothing, jewelry, etc).

PS

If I see only 1 piece of item I want in my size, I am more likely to make up my mind early; if there are several I might wait. Ditto for jewelry for my BH.

PS

If I see only 1 piece of item I want in my size, I am more likely to make up my mind early; if there are several I might wait. Ditto for jewelry for my BH.

There was hardly anything available at the beginning of the cruise. There was a gentleman in the store on the second day looking for a bathing suit, shorts and polo shirt in medium or large and they were all out. For some reason he told me that his wife asked for cranberry juice and they were out of that also in the restaurants.

There was hardly anything available at the beginning of the cruise. There was a gentleman in the store on the second day looking for a bathing suit, shorts and polo shirt in medium or large and they were all out. For some reason he told me that his wife asked for cranberry juice and they were out of that also in the restaurants.

That's not good nor is it typical. Where was the cruise? I am thinking that sometimes in a middle of a long segment in some areas of the world it may be difficult to re-stock in some ports?

You would think that it's in their best interest to keep these places stocked well as the profit margin is substantial, IMO.

That's not good nor is it typical. Where was the cruise? I am thinking that sometimes in a middle of a long segment in some areas of the world it may be difficult to re-stock in some ports?

You would think that it's in their best interest to keep these places stocked well as the profit margin is substantial, IMO.

Monte Carlo to Barcelona for the 7 day segment but many did a B2B with the previous cruise and the subsequent cruise. We weren't in any exotic locations.

Monte Carlo to Barcelona for the 7 day segment but many did a B2B with the previous cruise and the subsequent cruise. We weren't in any exotic locations.

Then Oceania has no good excuse for this. :)

As I found out the hard way, in Waves, secure a table, know the number, then place your food order. Staff was very rigid on this procedure, and was not helpful at finding a table for you. Bring your own coffee container if you like coffee in your room; only tiny takeaway cups offered. Also, don't waste suitcase space on dressy clothing or wardrobe changes unless you are with friends who will notice what you are wearing. I found the crowd nicely dressed but the very casual folks did not appear out of place or attract sideways looks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The tiny cups used really annoyed me! You had to order two to get anywhere near a normal amount of tea or coffee. Why don't they have normal cups? They also didn't have any lids for the takeaway cups, which is fun on a moving ship!

The tiny cups used really annoyed me! You had to order two to get anywhere near a normal amount of tea or coffee. Why don't they have normal cups?

Get a mug from the Terrace or Horizons self serve counter

Get a mug from the Terrace or Horizons self serve counter

But why should I have to go to the trouble of doing so? Why not just have mugs at the coffee bar? Have the powers-that-be never visited a Starbucks or similar to see the customary size?

But why should I have to go to the trouble of doing so? Why not just have mugs at the coffee bar? Have the powers-that-be never visited a Starbucks or similar to see the customary size?

Maybe no Starbucks in Italy I guess

The concept of Barristas it supposed to be like a coffee bar in Italy where you get expresso & cappuccinos which they serve in small cups not the crazy coffees the likes of Starbucks have

You can make a larger Expresso etc..at the self serve machines

Edited by LHT28

Perhaps it gives that air of faux-elegance to have smaller cups.

Imagine all those fellow passengers trying to drink their tea, pinky raised, while holding a large cup.

Cappuccinos in Italy always come in a decent sized cup! It is only the espressos which are small. In any case, I am pretty sure Oceania's customers just want a decent cup of coffee. They are not looking for an Italian experience!

As I found out the hard way, in Waves, secure a table, know the number, then place your food order. Staff was very rigid on this procedure, and was not helpful at finding a table for you. Bring your own coffee container if you like coffee in your room; only tiny takeaway cups offered. Also, don't waste suitcase space on dressy clothing or wardrobe changes unless you are with friends who will notice what you are wearing. I found the crowd nicely dressed but the very casual folks did not appear out of place or attract sideways looks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is that the same for Terraces? You get a table first then go thru the line and order is that just for waves?

Is that the same for Terraces? You get a table first then go thru the line and order is that just for waves?

The TERRACE you can get a table first or wander around carrying your plate of food until you find one

Waves you give your order a person at the counter & they bring it when ready

Last time they gave us numbers on a stand that you put on the table reminded me of Ponderosa :)

We told the guy taking the order we were sitting inside so they brought our burgers there ..no problem

Cappuccinos in Italy always come in a decent sized cup! It is only the espressos which are small. In any case, I am pretty sure Oceania's customers just want a decent cup of coffee. They are not looking for an Italian experience!

I guess it comes down to what you consider a "decent size cup"

I find they are just fine

i-7rXdSxg-S.jpg