Beyond the Arctic Circle

uktog

We didn't have Captain Johannes last year, but we still stopped to pick up fresh berries from "the farm" and to get fresh salmon (and the crew caught fresh cod). Don't know how much more CJ would have added, but it was very very nice anyway.

For those planning for this itinerary in coming years this article on Bergen might prove useful.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/29/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-bergen-norway.html?em_pos=large&emc=edit_tl_20170701&nl=travel-dispatch&nlid=11756394&ref=headline&te=1&_r=0

If the link doesn't work, it's in today's NYT travel section.

Trollfjord was an absolute highlight. We were again blessed with an amazing or maybe I should say an azamazing evening of weather, the best Captain Johannes had ever seen. Three of these pictures are mine, two Heike has kindly shared with me she is such a talented photographer and although she might have found the raising and lowering of the rescue boat a little scary she clearly enjoyed being on the water taking photos.

IMG_7982_zpsiui2o7ft.jpg

IMG_7983_zpsyrmr8gom.jpg

IMG_7985_zps7pmt8wsp.jpg

Heikes stunning pics

IMG_0842_zpstfcgffsj.jpg

IMG_0844_zpserelezvt.jpg

Today we sailed into Tromso again securing a better docking place than Seabourn - we were right opposite Roald Amundsen Square and the old church. Throughout our trip we have remarked how bright and robust the local flower displays are and although we were well above the Arctic Circle today was no exception.

IMG_5377_zps6nwmdrkc.jpg

We have been to Tromso before so opted not to go up the cable car again. We later saw the photos of Johannes, Heike and Eric who did so to celebrate the little brothers birthday so have borrowed on of theirs to show the treat a clear day gives you.

IMG_0845_zpsb3ygixso.jpg

Instead we headed off to the oldest and most northern brewery (Macks) - yes there's a microbrewery in Honningsvag but this is a full production one and at Ollhallens pub (which only opens in the daytime) you have a choice of 50 brews of strengths up to 12%ABV - and they did sell that by the litre! Anyway we enjoyed a 0.5l each of a milder brew, selecting something more moderate so we could find our way back unimpeded.

IMG_5382_zpsfjjcqipu.jpg

Actually this gem of a watering hole is so easy to find walk up to the old cathedral at the end of Amundsen Square turn left and you are there in about 10 minutes. It would be quicker for men, ladies who like to knit will want to stop and marvel at all the offerings in the wool shops. I wish I'd brought with me a note of some patterns wool requirements.

IMG_5394_zpsrhh3ykxm.jpg

Back on ship we enjoyed reading time with this view of the Arctic (new) cathedral from our balcony before enjoying a lovely dinner put on in Aqualina for all Discoverer Plus and Platinum guests where as ever chef Iwan excelled.

The most northern stop on our cruise is Honningsvag where the attraction is little fishing villages and Nordkapp, the most northerly point of mainland Europe. Here again, cod is air dried on massive outdoor racks which is a major source of income to the 2,000 population.

IMG_5400_zpsybn3rnrh.jpg

Again we had been there before and had visited the villages where there are artist communities, today we opted for a trip to Nordkapp. This is one trip where I'm afraid the ships tour is vastly overpriced at $179 each for a transfer up to Nordkapp. We opted instead for the transfer sold through Visit Norway, the official tourist board that left from the pier at 1145. We booked it in advance for approx $120 for two of us. There was another slightly more expensive trip which also took in the fishing villages and left at 1200 which I know others enjoyed.

The only difference on our trip is we did not stop at the Sami souvenier shop for a close up encounter with a reindeer. The drive up and down was beautiful in a very comfortable bus it took about 45 mins. We saw villages and the rugged bleak existence they live - hint sit on the same side of the bus both times as the view each way is spectacular.

IMG_5433_zps1jbg69ll.jpg

We had over an hour at Nordkapp which was enough time to take photos and enjoy the multimedia film of how the area looks in all four seasons which was most interesting. We also posted cards from there where we believe the use a special franking mark so some relatives will be happy with that!

IMG_5409_zpsgvf52wnm.jpg

IMG_5412_zpsk19zpjjj.jpg

I do though worry my husband took too much of an interest in this potential holiday activity

IMG_5420_zpscs7jxuyt.jpg

At midnight we cruised passed Nordkapp to view it from below. Unfortunately although light the midnight sun deserted us but it was still a wonderful sight.

IMG_5449_zpsqchxqbma.jpg

Ann, am so enjoying journeying with you to a part of the world I don't know at all.

The scenery is stunning as are your pix. I foresee a cruise to the fjords in my future.

Enjoy the rest of your trip

Ann, am so enjoying journeying with you to a part of the world I don't know at all.

The scenery is stunning as are your pix. I foresee a cruise to the fjords in my future.

Enjoy the rest of your trip

Thanks Hazel you have to do it, it's the most satisfying relaxing cruise ever that makes you say "what a wonderful world"

Ann...Captain Johannes is not the Captain on the similar cruise in '18. But it is really on sale right now!...I can't imagine it would be as special a cruise without him at the helm...would you give me your thoughts on that please? Thanks LuAnn

We did this same itinerary last year with Captain Jose and 3 years ago with Captain Johannes. Ann's summary of this year is identical to our two experiences, from the stopping for fresh berries and cheese, sourcing local fresh fish, the two full circles at Geiranger, Troll Fjord... Even the guy on the bridge was there waving his flag last year [emoji846] Although clearly Johannes knows more about Norway than the other Captains, as to what actually happens, they're all following the exact same playbook... although they don't seem you to want to realize that. It's a phenomenal playbook however and I highly recommend this itinerary.

You have thoroughly convinced me that this is our 2019 cruise! Stunning scenery. My father was born in Norway and I would love to see the land where he came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the ship picking up any local foods from Norway? I'm thinking that they pick up fish along the way. What about cheeses? Like "brown cheese" (brunost)? Pickled herring, that sort of thing.

See post 1

Ann, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. It brings back wonderful memories of our cruise in August 2015 on the Quest. We loved the itinerary so much that we have booked the cruise again, this time on the Journey in 2019.

Garry

Wonderful photos and prose!

Now that there have been two consecutive years of exceptional weather, will the Norwegians label these as "Azamara Summers"?

Now that there have been two consecutive years of exceptional weather, will the Norwegians label these as "Azamara Summers"?

I love the idea of "Azamara Summers"!

And I'm loving following along with this thread on our Norway cruise. Thank you so much uktog for posting this!

For those who've not sailed Norway with us (that includes me!)...here's our Seven Things to Do in Norway blog. At the end are links to our 2018 & 2019 voyages.

Edited by BBMacLaird

Azamara Summers sounds like a great title for a book. 😄

Fantastic pix Ann, both here and on FB. What an amazing view you had from ascending all that way up today. I hope the Champagne was chilled and waiting for you on your return to JR. 🍾

It was! I perhaps pushed myself more on the climb than I should have but as you say the pics were worth it. Once we are in faster internet area I will put some here. We went on Oldens brand new attraction The Lowen Skilift. Olden Adventures were offering 700 Nkr each from there office by the dock which included the transfer there andback and ad much time as you wanted up top. We went at 9am and staggered back for 1. The ship does not offer tours to the Skilift which claims to be the smoothest cablecar in Europe. As one terrified of heights I would agree. The blog Azamara publishes should be updated to include this. It's possible with Olden Adventures to do both the glacier and the Skilift for less than a ships tour to the glacier, though no coffee stops included

Fabulous blog, Ann. You really are having a fabulous cruise and I think the oil rig safari is something never done before. I recall from the lunch we had in Geiranger that Johannes mentioned he could do it only beacause he got a special permission from the rig-operators.

The Loen Skylift is brand new, -this might explain why Azamara doesn't have it in their program. It opened may 20th 2017. It is one of the steepest gondola rides in the world.

https://www.loenskylift.com/#loen-skylift-intro

The nice weather has followed you and even today, in Stavanger, the sun is shining bright. Bit windy. Maybe we will do this for 2019. I can ask Johannes if he can take me on as a lecturer. :p:cool:.

Have a soooper day in Stavanger.

The Olden Skylift pictures

This is the view you get if you climb a little

IMG_5491_zpsby4rjg8f.jpg

We can see our home far below

IMG_5494_zpsbtcdmlsl.jpg

In these views you also see how far above the cablecar station we climbed

IMG_5498_zpscv3tzljs.jpg

IMG_5504_zpsmisge2zp.jpg

However, if your walking is not great, you still get great views from the Cablecar station though the coffee does cost $6 for a small cup, however you don't have to buy!

IMG_5507_zpsjhhzkqt4.jpg

As we did not go any further afield having done it before, we felt we had to share what you would see as it's brilliant so just one from Briksdal Glacier again courtesy of Heike

IMG_0848_zps8e6jlfpz.jpg

Fabulous blog, Ann. You really are having a fabulous cruise and I think the oil rig safari is something never done before. I recall from the lunch we had in Geiranger that Johannes mentioned he could do it only beacause he got a special permission from the rig-operators.

The Loen Skylift is brand new, -this might explain why Azamara doesn't have it in their program. It opened may 20th 2017. It is one of the steepest gondola rides in the world.

https://www.loenskylift.com/#loen-skylift-intro

The nice weather has followed you and even today, in Stavanger, the sun is shining bright. Bit windy. Maybe we will do this for 2019. I can ask Johannes if he can take me on as a lecturer. :p:cool:.

Have a soooper day in Stavanger.

It's a beautiful day and they're going to try White Nights outside having brought it forward to 1800 start and delaying departure. Should be fun