Do I need to renew my passports?

Jajone

We are sailing FLL, Grand turk, Nassau, HMC and Amber Cove in March 2018, Passports expire in September just shy of the 6 months date. Not renewing will save us some money in the budget. Do I need to renew them before we leave?

If you're looking at cutting costs in your budget, remember that passports aren't required for closed loop cruises. Your birth certificate and ID will be fine.

We will be using passports no matter what, just looking for info on whether or not I need to renew. Would prefer not to since we don't have any plans to travel abroad anytime soon after. We have 8 of us going and 4 likely would not need to renew if this is good enough, so we stand to save quite a bit. This was factored into our budget though as we thought they expired sooner.

We will be using passports no matter what, just looking for info on whether or not I need to renew. Would prefer not to since we don't have any plans to travel abroad anytime soon after. We have 8 of us going and 4 likely would not need to renew if this is good enough, so we stand to save quite a bit. This was factored into our budget though as we thought they expired sooner.

The intent of the previous answer was to show that there is no requirement to have any time left on your passports after your cruise, as long as they are valid when you return to the US. It would be rather silly to require you to have 6 months left on your passports when people don't even need them in the first place for the cruise. To the best of my knowledge the only Caribbean island that has a 6 month requirement for cruise ship passengers is Cuba. So go ahead and save your money, there is no reason to spend it at this point in time.

I think you're saying your current passports expire in just over six months from the end of your cruise, correct? If so, then you should be fine. Otherwise, it probably would not hurt however to go ahead and take your BC's and another form of ID just in case some over zealous airline rep or cruise check-in agent tries to hold you up. So yes, save the $$'s and don't renew now.

I think you're saying your current passports expire in just over six months from the end of your cruise, correct? If so, then you should be fine. Otherwise, it probably would not hurt however to go ahead and take your BC's and another form of ID just in case some over zealous airline rep or cruise check-in agent tries to hold you up. So yes, save the $$'s and don't renew now.

They expire Sept 18 and we sail March 25

Guess I should have clarified...if something happens and we need to fly in or out the Caribbean ports, do we need to have 6 months left on our passports?

I looked at the U.S. State Dept's web site for destination entry requirements for the ports you listed (Bahamas, DR and Turks & Caicos). None specify anything about how long your passport is valid, only that it be valid when you enter the country. The DR does specify a tourist card which it sounds like you might need to fly out of that country but it also says those can be purchased at airports. I'm guessing that would only apply if you did not depart via the cruise ship.

Here's a link to that State Dept web site: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

Guess I should have clarified...if something happens and we need to fly in or out the Caribbean ports, do we need to have 6 months left on our passports?

No you do not have to have 6 months remaining for a return to the US, you may re-enter up until the day the passport expires.

They are on domestic flights so airline rep would not ask for passports, cruise agent also does not require passports. Personally, we would never leave U.S soil without a passport. Bad things that happen are called accidents, not on purposes. Customs would be the only entity to require passports. Not many Caribbean countries are too strict about the the 6 month rule. If something happened to you or someone close stateside, flying out of a foreign country might be a problem. To the OP, it's your money, you make the call.

There is no problem at all with your passports.

They are good up until the date it says that they expire.

Your flights will be fine and there is no 6month rule for a closed loop cruise to the ports you are visiting.

The 6month rule only applies to some countries if you are going to them on vacation.

Just renew the passports before they expire or it will cost more.

There is no problem at all with your passports.

They are good up until the date it says that they expire.

Your flights will be fine and there is no 6month rule for a closed loop cruise to the ports you are visiting.

The 6month rule only applies to some countries if you are going to them on vacation.

Just renew the passports before they expire or it will cost more.

Can you please explain why you believe this is true? The renewal fees are the same regardless of whether or not the old passport has expired.

I think it's because you don't have to pay the execution fee if it's a renewal. You just mail the stuff in.

True and I think that was my point - it's clear it would be a renewal for the OP and no fees beyond the standard renewal fees apply. Did I miss something? :confused:

True and I think that was my point - it's clear it would be a renewal for the OP and no fees beyond the standard renewal fees apply. Did I miss something? :confused:

Yeah unless they let it go for 5 years then they would have to reapply as a new Passport. They should have been more specific though. If it just simply expires and you renew in time, then you don't pay the execution fee. It's only if it was issued more than 15 years ago. So with a valid timeframe of 10 years for adults, it would need to be expired more than 5. Kids are different.

Yeah unless they let it go for 5 years then they would have to reapply as a new Passport. They should have been more specific though. If it just simply expires and you renew in time, then you don't pay the execution fee. It's only if it was issued more than 15 years ago. So with a valid timeframe of 10 years for adults, it would need to be expired more than 5. Kids are different.

Agree, but the poster I quoted stated it was necessary to renew prior to expiration to avoid additional fees. Totally not true unless a minor (under the age of 16) is involved in which case execution fees would apply but I didn't think that was the case here for the OP.

Agree, but the poster I quoted stated it was necessary to renew prior to expiration to avoid additional fees. Totally not true unless a minor (under the age of 16) is involved in which case execution fees would apply but I didn't think that was the case here for the OP.

I'm in agreement with you. I think they misunderstand the timeframe as to when you would have to pay the execution fee. It's not simply upon expiration, but rather 5 years after. I believe they are thinking that you must renew prior to that or have to apply as a person getting a Passport for the first time, therefore, paying more.

I'm in agreement with you. I think they misunderstand the timeframe as to when you would have to pay the execution fee. It's not simply upon expiration, but rather 5 years after. I believe they are thinking that you must renew prior to that or have to apply as a person getting a Passport for the first time, therefore, paying more.

Yes, I'm quite sure the poster I quoted misunderstood the passport renewal rules. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't off into the weeds on this. ;)

We are sailing FLL, Grand turk, Nassau, HMC and Amber Cove in March 2018, Passports expire in September just shy of the 6 months date. Not renewing will save us some money in the budget. Do I need to renew them before we leave?

You should be good.

No, you will be fine.