Non-Refundable Deposit

On Nonrefundable Deposit if you change the ship or sail date you will be charged a $100 fee per person. If you cancel the cruise you will be charged $100 per person and the remainder of your deposit will be issued as a future cruise certificate that must be used on a future cruise and booked within a year, but does not have to be taken within the year.

Carla

Does this apply to cruises booked before July 1, 2017? When RCI made the original announcement, the original announcement on the non-refundable deposit, they said it did not apply to cruises booked before 7-1-2017. I have 5 cruises booked through 2019.

Does this apply to cruises booked before July 1, 2017? When RCI made the original announcement, the original announcement on the non-refundable deposit, they said it did not apply to cruises booked before 7-1-2017. I have 5 cruises booked through 2019.

If you booked a refundable rate it stays refundable unless you change it to a nonrefundable rate. With your refundable deposit you can move it to another cruise or sail date with no change fee. Also, once you book with the nonrefundable deposit (NFP) you can not switch it to a refundable deposit. Whenever RCCL advertises a price from now on, it will be the cheapest price and the cheapest price will always be the nonrefundable deposit.

Carla

And say what?

Not happy with new booking policy. I book cruises 1-2 years out, don't have a crystal ball as to what will happen in the future & need to switch or cancel a cruise. I currently have 5 cruises booked with RCL, as far out as 11/25/18 & with this new policy will not be booking another RCL cruise.

Not happy with new booking policy. I book cruises 1-2 years out, don't have a crystal ball as to what will happen in the future & need to switch or cancel a cruise. I currently have 5 cruises booked with RCL, as far out as 11/25/18 & with this new policy will not be booking another RCL cruise.

This policy except for suites (possibly) is not mandatory. You can still book a refundable deposit, the rate will just be higher than the non refundable one

If you booked a refundable rate it stays refundable unless you change it to a nonrefundable rate. With your refundable deposit you can move it to another cruise or sail date with no change fee. Also, once you book with the nonrefundable deposit (NFP) you can not switch it to a refundable deposit. Whenever RCCL advertises a price from now on, it will be the cheapest price and the cheapest price will always be the nonrefundable deposit.

Carla

Thanks Carla -- does this apply to JSs booked before 7-1-2017? I see that future JS bookings will be non-refundable.

It will all come down to supply and demand. If people are still playing the rate for the refundable, then they will stay high. If people don't like the policy and quit booking, then rates will drop, or the nrd will go away if they get to much backlash.

I don't personally have an issue with it, at least they are being upfront about it, and not hiding it in the t&c's

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

I certainly wont be booking any GS or above very early. How can I know with certainty what will happen two years from now?

If I book early, it will be a refundable balcony.

mac_tlc

I hadn't heard about the new deposit system so I was disappointed when my TA tried to move a cruise we had planned from Feb. 2018 to March 2019. She was told when she called that only the non refundable option was available for the cruise I was looking at. In the end we cancelled the 2018 cruise and decided not to book the 2019 one. It is almost 2 years away and $500 (family of 5) to switch sail dates is a steep price to pay. I would book with RCCI if a refundable option came up and was reasonably priced but otherwise we will be exploring other options because it just isn't worth the risk for us.

Does anyone know if Travel insurance would cover the change fee?

I hadn't heard about the new deposit system so I was disappointed when my TA tried to move a cruise we had planned from Feb. 2018 to March 2019. She was told when she called that only the non refundable option was available for the cruise I was looking at.
Were you booked in a suite, if not everyone should have a choice between refundable and not...

Were you booked in a suite, if not everyone should have a choice between refundable and not...

No, not a suite... just a balcony and an inside. I tried to play around with it on my own a bit ago but I keep getting redirected back to the search page when I am on the RCCI website. The one time I was able to get as far as the pricing page it didn't say anything about the deposit, except for the price but when I went to continue with the booking it redirected me back to the search page yet again. So, I'm going to give it a few days and play around with it again or call myself. In the meantime, I am looking at other cruise lines just to see what else is out there before I commit. Spring 2019 is a ways away and we have 3 other (land) vacations planned before then so I have plenty to keep me busy.

The new system is a scam!

The rate went down 20$ for the NRD and went up $70 for the RD.....

Do basically the old prices were marked NRD and all RD rates went up!:mad:

I agree....

We are now being penalized for taking the refundable rate.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Also noticed that on cruises booked 6+ months out with nonrefundable deposit, the C&A discount has been raised $25. But if booking a refundable deposit the C&A discount is the same as in past.

Carla

I just tried to do a 7 day next February and chose a JS. It only showed it as non-refundable and the C&A discout was $276 where it would normally be $250 plus it was giving a $100 OBC.

I was unaware of this new policy. We have sailed on about 15 RCCL cruises and were wondering if we should consider other lines. Does anyone else have a similar policy? Thanks

Seems to me this would encourage waiting until the 90 day period and if you do so, just go with the best deal at the time. Just pricing cruises to say Alaska... relatively last minute cruises seem a touch cheaper than ones next year... why book in advance... unless you desire particular cabin location.... am I missing something

Anyone besides me starting to see a lot of similarities to the airlines? Next up on the new ways for RCI to add $ to their coffers, Charging for checking luggage? Carry on costs? The nickle, diming is getting very annoying.

Erika

Anyone besides me starting to see a lot of similarities to the airlines? Next up on the new ways for RCI to add $ to their coffers, Charging for checking luggage? Carry on costs? The nickle, diming is getting very annoying.

Erika

And yet the people who complain the loudest are still booking a bunch of cruises and paying all the fees. If I were RC I would do the same thing, it hasn't decreased their revenues one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My cruise stayed the same price as when I booked with the nonrefundable a few weeks ago but now my c&a discount would be $250 instead of $225 and I would get the $100 OBC. So I am trying to decide if I wanna switch it to the NRD. Hmmmmm

This is a choice, why is everybody getting their panties in wad? If you don't want the NRD, then book the refundable. Choice does cost money tho...

It looks like the a lot of the prices stayed the same but don't forget you get the $100 obc, $100 is a $100

Does anyone know if Travel insurance would cover the change fee?

It would have to be for a covered reason. Or you would have to buy the more expensive CFAR insurance and that would only reimburse you 50-75%

It would have to be for a covered reason. Or you would have to buy the more expensive CFAR insurance and that would only reimburse you 50-75%

This is what I was assuming and our reasons would most not likely be covered, since I think school schedule and lack of flights would be our biggest reason, for the next 2 years anyway. The other reason make be covered, policy dependent, since it would be related to my husband's leave being cancelled.

In 10 or so years, when the kids are out of the house and it is just the two of us, we would be willing to take a risk for $200. $500 is too rich for our blood however, so we will stick with the refundable deposits unless the fare plus the credit is more than $500 cheaper and so far on the few I was able to price it was not.

Needless to say, RCCL's website is a little screwed up!! That's a shock!! You can book GS Suites and above with a refundable deposit as long as they aren't booked on board. JS can be booked both ways. But their website is not giving you that choice. I can see the refundable deposits on the TA website, but even the TA site isn't fully functional. Little by little today things have been loaded into the program. Still some categories and sail dates are not showing the nonrefundable deposits.

From what I have seen, the lower the category cabin, the smaller the price difference between the nonrefundable and refundable prices. Most JS's are showing about $400+ difference and I saw an OS that had a $3000 difference.

I have not heard anything official as far as the higher C&A discounts are concerned, just reporting what I have seen on some sailings and trying to find a pattern to figure out what they are doing. Just like if you book the nonrefundable more than 6+ months out you are to receive $100 OBC per cabin, that is not showing up yet on all the sailings.

Think it is going to take a while before everything is up and running properly, if ever!!

Carla

Carnival has something similar with their Early Saver rate, but it guarantees you get the lowest rate and the spread is no where near as it appears on RC. Looks like we won't be booking far out anymore on RC. We're jumping around now anyway. Have 3 booked on RC, 1 on X, 2 on NCL, and 2 booked on Carnival.

I was unaware of this new policy. We have sailed on about 15 RCCL cruises and were wondering if we should consider other lines. Does anyone else have a similar policy? Thanks

Seems to me this would encourage waiting until the 90 day period and if you do so, just go with the best deal at the time. Just pricing cruises to say Alaska... relatively last minute cruises seem a touch cheaper than ones next year... why book in advance... unless you desire particular cabin location.... am I missing something

Carnival has had the Early Saver rate for a few years now. It actually works well if you are sure you are going on the cruise. The best benefit with their rate is that if the price of the cruise goes down you will get the lower price even after final payment. Doesn't look like Royal is promising this though.

Also Carnival charges $50 to make changes not $100.