Purchase cabin upgrades after final payment?

Imonaboat2017

Hello,

I have read tales of cruisers who have upgraded their staterooms about a month out from their cruise - at a substantial savings to what they would have paid initially. Has anyone done this? We are booked in a C3 at the moment, but would love to upgrade to a suite if the price is right.

Thanks for any advice!

We had booked and paid for a Royal suite. Then the penthouse became available. I joked to my DH about ringing to see how much an upgrade would be. We were shocked that it was $575Australian dollars total ($440US) so we jumped for it. There was 3 of us booked. This was the best 15 nights we have had at sea so far.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hello,

I have read tales of cruisers who have upgraded their staterooms about a month out from their cruise - at a substantial savings to what they would have paid initially. Has anyone done this? We are booked in a C3 at the moment, but would love to upgrade to a suite if the price is right.

Thanks for any advice!

We've upgraded after final payments many many times. The key is, when you go to upgrade, make sure that you won't lose any of your perks. Oftentimes, you are able to keep them and end up paying very little more for an ideal cabin. I always book the least category I am willing to stay in ... then upgrade from there if the price is right.

My best upgrade was from an inside cabin to a family veranda (one of the corner ones) on the Infinity for $100 pp on a 9 night cruise! BEST room ever!!!

My friend just left Friday on a Alaskan cruise. X called and asked if they would be interested in upgrading from a Sky to a Signature, 2 categories for $250 each. She jumped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could those responding state whether you initiated contact with X or X contacted you? If you initiated contact with X, did you book through a TA or directly? How long before cruise embarkation date, etc.?

I contact the cruiseline or my TA every time. Celebrity has never contacted me for an upgrade. In over 50 cruises, I have only been upgraded once where the cruiseline contacted me and that was on Princess. I was called the morning prior to my cruise and my phone rang at 6:45 AM ... good thing I answered or he would have just moved on to the next person on the list.

My friend just left Friday on a Alaskan cruise. X called and asked if they would be interested in upgrading from a Sky to a Signature, 2 categories for $250 each. She jumped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the Sigs were only on the Reflection...;p

I think most times the cost to upgrade must be more than what you paid. As others have posted ask if you get the same benefits.

I was ready to upgrade to a Sky suite after final payment and was told that none of the perks would be included. I said that I thought all 4 perks are included in the suites and was told not really as it is a promotion. There's was a option to get all 4 perks but I couldn't justify the extra cost as it made the cabin more than the original cost when I booked.

If the upgrade after the final payment is less than what you paid you wouldn't be able to do it. Have heard that some have received SBC for the difference but i wouldn't count on it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We've tried but so far no luck. The keys to getting/paying for an upgrade are:

1) To pay for an upgrade the you pay the difference between what you originally paid and the current price of the cabin you want.

2). The new cabin must be at least $1 more than the cabin you currently have booked.

3). Confirm the perks are the same (unless you don't mind giving any up to get a better cabin.

I always keep an eye on the price of any cruise I have booked but so far haven't found any upgrade that worked.

• 5 years later...
On 7/2/2017 at 5:59 PM, RickT said:

We've tried but so far no luck. The keys to getting/paying for an upgrade are:

1) To pay for an upgrade the you pay the difference between what you originally paid and the current price of the cabin you want.

2). The new cabin must be at least $1 more than the cabin you currently have booked.

3). Confirm the perks are the same (unless you don't mind giving any up to get a better cabin.

I always keep an eye on the price of any cruise I have booked but so far haven't found any upgrade that worked.

Is this still true these days now that there is bidding?

29 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Yes, of course. They will always sell you an upgrade as long as cabins are available. I assume once the MoveUp process begins, the cabins are no longer available.

We have a SS on our December cruise. Since it's DH's birthday, I've quietly had my TA check for a "surprise" RS upgrade. It came back as $7,500. Too much for me!

I made a MoveUp offer of significantly less than that, but still higher than the minimum (which was $800pp). I keep watching prices and availability daily. I'll have my TA check again if the price drops.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

It is different than 5 years ago.  Today it is moveup.  This is a VERY different process.  You make an offer of what you are willing to pay.  It is then either accepted or rejected.  Not really bidding.

I have upgraded a cabin after final payment by paying the web price.   It is true that they offer a bid system but they usually try to maximize revenue and sell cabins before they award them at a lesser price.  I recently saw a RS pop up at a price very close to the minimum upgrade bid from a CS so grabbed it.   

As long as you see a cabin available that is at least $1 more expensive than your existing rate you can either upgrade on line or call your travel planner to have done. 

• Thanks 1