Crown Princess unscheduled stop in Dover!

ojjyb

Embarked the Crown yesterday for the Norwegian Fjords trip.. During the night we turned back due to a medical emergency.

Captain came on tannoy at about 7.30 am to say we're heading to Dover. Not sure what this will mean for our stop on Stavanger tomorrow or if we'll get there at all.

We've literally just pulled out of Dover now.. We were in port no more than 2 hours.

Sent from my F5321 using Forums mobile app

Embarked the Crown yesterday for the Norwegian Fjords trip.. During the night we turned back due to a medical emergency.

Captain came on tannoy at about 7.30 am to say we're heading to Dover. Not sure what this will mean for our stop on Stavanger tomorrow or if we'll get there at all.

We've literally just pulled out of Dover now.. We were in port no more than 2 hours.

Sent from my F5321 using Forums mobile app

I was just OFF the Crown in Southampton yesterday. I really liked Norway, enjoy your cruise!

Firstly our thoughts are with the person(s) concerned.

It looks as if the Crown went off course around 02:30 this morning before turning round. I do not know what the implications were but I wonder if it had been daylight if there may have been a medical lift off by helicopter or other boat because it was about 7:00 when the Crown got into Dover, so some 4/5 hours later. No doubt all will be revealed - the ETA for Stavanger is presently 11:15 Monday 5th.

No doubt all will be revealed -

We left Barcelona late on 17.05.17.

We were never told the true reason, except that it was a medical emergency, but rumors were rife, as police were seen on board.

Later we missed Genoa, again we weren't told the reason, except ' for operational reasons.'

I went to the excursion desk to ask for a rebate for the portion of the excursion which we didn't take, as there was no longer any reason for a bus trip from Genoa to Santa Margarita. I was told that we could have looked around Santa Margarita. My reply, 'so could have everyone else.' I then asked why we didn't go into Genoa and was told, 'that's the Captains decision.'

Again a number of rumours as to the reasons.

A simple announcement would stop the rumours.

Six of us were supposed to embark on the cruise in the Stavanger port. Princess did not ever notify us that this travel leg was canceled. The ship simply did not show up when it was due. When we reached out to Princess, they offered no help or assistance at all. Here is the exact email we received from the customer service representative at Princess:

"Hello,

I have just spoke to guest relations who have advised the ship will be making its way to Skjolden/Sognefjord, Norway to arrive 4 th July.

You will need to make your way to the port.

The port authorities in Stavanger will be able to assist you with this if you need help.

The ship was diverted due to a medical emergency and had to divert to Dover.

Kind regards

Tina James

Reservations Consultant

100 Harbour Parade | Southampton, SO15 1ST

t: +44 (0)843 373 0333"

We have had to make our own arrangements at the last minute to travel to the next port. Princess has refused to compensate us in any way for the inconvenience and expense they have caused us.

I simply hope that anyone who reads this post will choose any cruise line other than Princess for all future travel, as they clearly do not care the slightest bit about customer relations or service. Also, I hope everyone who reads this post and also thinks we have been treated unfairly to call the number in the email and tell them that you will not vacation with them again.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Mark

Another reason to have trip insurance. This could happen on any line, and you should have been notified beforehand that no port stop is guaranteed, and unless it's the ship's fault you won't be reimbursed except for port fees.

Yes, we paid $145 each for travel insurance, but if you read the fine print, no matter what happens, insurance covers no more than $500 per person total (not per day). So, yes, I will recover about 1/3 the total cost for an event that was entirely not our fault, even though we paid a lot of money for the insurance.

Again, I strongly recommend all to avoid Princess at all costs in the future.

Mark

No sympathy from me either.

Joining the ship anywhere other than the usual embarkation/disembarkation port is fraught with risks, so you should have insured yourself for that possibility.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I agree this isn't a Princess issue - life happens. I am sorry you were inconvenienced but as others have said this was on you to have insurance not on the cruise line. Be thankful it wasn't you that needed the medical evacuation and enjoy your trip to the next port!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree you have had a very unfortunate experience. It is obvious that ships have to change schedules for emergencies or bad weather, but you should certainlg have been notified that the ship was going to miss the port. But it is frankly absurd to hope that people who have been happy Princess cruisers for many years will abandon the cruise line or complain or your behalf. Do you seriously imagine there is any cruise line that does not occasionally perform less well than expected?

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought the purpose of a site named "Cruise Critic" is to post our experiences, both good and bad. I am doing just that. I am obviously a new poster, and if I am mistaken, please let me know.

While it will help my situation out this time, on average, I think paying $145 per person for extra insurance is a poor investment, given that the maximum possible payout is $500 per person. I thought this was the proper venue to alert others to properly evaluate the risk/ reward coupled with paying so much for trip insurance that pays out so little should one need it.

And, furthermore, while I understand that travel emergencies do happen, at the very least, Princess should have alerted us as soon as they knew. Instead, they never alerted us at all. No matter how one looks at the overall situation, this failure to give any notice is absolutely a failure on Princess.

Mark

To everyone onboard, that's always disappointing to miss a port. I hope the sick pax is on the road to recovery! To the person who missed the ship, that really sucks! Unfortunately, when one chooses to join the ship or disembark the ship at an alternative port, it's always at one's own risk. I hope you can at least embark at another port and enjoy part of your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And, furthermore, while I understand that travel emergencies do happen, at the very least, Princess should have alerted us as soon as they knew. Instead, they never alerted us at all. No matter how one looks at the overall situation, this failure to give any notice is absolutely a failure on Princess.

Mark

Do you honestly think every cruise line is watching out for those passengers who choose to embark a ship at a port different from the turnaround port when a last minute change of itinerary occurs. You are not a special case so the onus was on you to be prepared for the worse.

Stop moaning and enjoy your cruise. One person had the misfortune not to be able to, so be thankful.

Edited by Esprit
typo

Plus this isn't a Princess issue. Could happen to any line.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

True enough.

Presumably the pax had made prior arrangements to board at Stavanger. So the fact that Princess couldn't be bothered to send an email informing them of the itinerary change suggests a fairly low level of interest in customer service.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought the purpose of a site named "Cruise Critic" is to post our experiences, both good and bad. I am doing just that. I am obviously a new poster, and if I am mistaken, please let me know.

While it will help my situation out this time, on average, I think paying $145 per person for extra insurance is a poor investment, given that the maximum possible payout is $500 per person. I thought this was the proper venue to alert others to properly evaluate the risk/ reward coupled with paying so much for trip insurance that pays out so little should one need it.

Mark

Of course you were inconvenienced by the poor guy who broke his back!! I would imagine most people on the ship will have been inconvenienced - some will have booked and paid for "private" tours and probably will not get their money back. Two days at Sea was not their schedule!

According to AIS the Crown was originally going to arrive very late into Stavanger but then obviously things have changed. To suggest everyone else should rebel and not travel with Princess again certainly will not help your case with Princess - have you checked your terms of travel with Princess?

True enough.

Presumably the pax had made prior arrangements to board at Stavanger. So the fact that Princess couldn't be bothered to send an email informing them of the itinerary change suggests a fairly low level of interest in customer service.

Sounds like the CS crew had major issues to deal with, but I agree that Princess should have already had their cellular information and should notified them by voice, message and/or email. as soon as possible to arrange connection, just like an airline. Assuming they were opted in and able to receive such messages. "Stuff" happens, but a boycott? Nowhere near that level IMO

Mark

If that's what you paid for insurance and that's all the pay out you're entitled too. Then I think you have been royally ripped off big time.

We pay £100 per couple for Annual Insurance which will cover upto £5000 per person for the cost of the cruise.

Insurance?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Was going to ask the same thing.

After we had to turn around in the Pacific and head back to the closest island (Nuku Hiva, in this case), for a medical emergency, and arrived back to home port a day late, we have chosen to purchase Princess insurance for subsequent sailings.

We had to pay an additional $1400 plus a change fee to rebook our flights home. The only thing Princess would pay for was the change fee, because we didn't have their insurance.

Lesson learned.

Edited by suzyed