Asking steward for a foot stool in a veranda balcony cabin

Lorey2007

Totally disagree. If you are in a standard balcony cabin, you are not entitled to a footstool. And yes, there is harm in asking. You are putting your CS in an untenable position. Either they accommodate your undeserved request (and risk upsetting other pax--they would have to carry it down the hall to you).. If they don't accommodate, they run the risk of upsetting you. To ask for stuff you do not deserve is a lose-lose situation for a hard working employee. Buck up and pay the tariff for a cabin that includes it or forget about it and live without.

Oh dear it looks like my wife and I are going to hell. When we checked into our cabin last year the CS said if there was anything she could do to make our cruise more enjoyable just let her know. After a few nights my wife realised she was struggling to sleep and had a sore neck as a result of the pillow provided in the standard veranda pillow, So we asked our room steward if she could have a change of pillow. Little did I realise what a terrible terrible thing I did by asking for a better pillow as this I believe is not a luxury I dare ask for in a standard veranda cabin.

I guess we'll just have to live with the fact that we put the CS in an untenable situation asking for a different pillow we were not entitled to.

Oh dear it looks like my wife and I are going to hell. When we checked into our cabin last year the CS said if there was anything she could do to make our cruise more enjoyable just let her know. After a few nights my wife realised she was struggling to sleep and had a sore neck as a result of the pillow provided in the standard veranda pillow, So we asked our room steward if she could have a change of pillow. Little did I realise what a terrible terrible thing I did by asking for a better pillow as this I believe is not a luxury I dare ask for in a standard veranda cabin.

I guess we'll just have to live with the fact that we put the CS in an untenable situation asking for a different pillow we were not entitled to.

Apple meet orange.

We've bought one of these:

191952293821_0.jpg

It is quite light and collapses to the size of a rolled up towel. It measures 55cm diameter and is 25 cm high (thats approx 22.5" X 10"). As it has a loop on the side we plan on using a bungee to attach it to one of the chairs when we are on the balcony to prevent accidents! And leave it inside the cabin when we don't need it. It should be big enough to share without feet fights...

Surprised to hear that Aqua on Summit has no footstools. That is an amenity in all Aqua cabins I have been in on all other ships. I will have to check. Thanks for the heads-up.

Did not have footstools in AQ on Infinity either. No way they would have fit on that miniscule balcony.

I did ask the cabin attendant nicely once when I had a huge 1A balcony. He said they don't even have enough for the concierge cabins. Modern luxury.

I wish that Celebrity would deploy the footstools on balconies that have room for them. THAT would be modern luxury.

Apple meet orange.

I thought a choice of pillows was a perk of Concierge Class and above and we were not entitled to this.

Obviously other staff worry less about these supposedly untenable situations. Plenty of posters here are quite happy to admit they grease the palms of bar staff to ensure they don't wait like the rest of us.

DYKWIA,

Your cabin steward did what we hope all cabin stewards will do which is to see an issue ( your wife's neck problem) and respond...

I hope next cruise you fill in the special needs form (that your wife has a neck problem) and special needs, your cabin steward and customer service, if necessary, will look after your wife and ensure the best pillows for her will be in the cabin from boarding not several days into cruise....

You were quite right to ask for a pillow change, your cabin steward was quite right to provide one...

This post isn't about ensuring all are comfortable on their cruise...that comes as standard, it is about asking stewards for extras you 'want' but do not necessarily 'need'. Your wife needed a pillow change....the OP wants but does not necessarily need a footstool.

Hopefully Celebrity will continue to provide additional extras for those with medical/physical issues...but this can not be made easier by others 'demanding/requesting' items they simply want but don't necessarily need.

Did not have footstools in AQ on Infinity either. No way they would have fit on that miniscule balcony.

I did ask the cabin attendant nicely once when I had a huge 1A balcony. He said they don't even have enough for the concierge cabins. Modern luxury.

I wish that Celebrity would deploy the footstools on balconies that have room for them. THAT would be modern luxury.

I agree. Celebrity should provide footstools on balconies that have room. The only way Celebrity will do this is if enough customers ask. I applaud the creative "MacGyver" solutions described in this thread. But it is a bit absurd that people are having to bring/build their own furniture for a cruise.

I do not agree with the argument that we should just book higher grade cabins if we want a footstool. We are the customer - not a guest in someone's home. If customers want something, they should ask. If enough people ask, eventually, some genius in Miami will make a pitch to management, "I have this great idea! What if we provide footstools for all the veranda cabins." Why didn't we think of that?

LOL. I guess I'll be meeting up with you in Hell! :D I never knew they had foot stools before I opened this thread, so I've never asked for a foot stool but I'm going to now!

It's a foot stool people, the OP is not asking for the keys to the kingdom. :rolleyes:

Relax, put your feet up..... I know I will.:D:D

DYKWIA,

Hopefully Celebrity will continue to provide additional extras for those with medical/physical issues...but this can not be made easier by others 'demanding/requesting' items they simply want but don't necessarily need.

Demanding? No. That's never right. But I see nothing wrong with politely requesting something. And I actually needed to elevate my leg. I found a different solution.

Surprised to hear that Aqua on Summit has no footstools. That is an amenity in all Aqua cabins I have been in on all other ships. I will have to check. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in AQ class last summer on the Summit, hump balcony. I asked about a footstool and was told they are only available on the S class, not the "old ships", lol, yes, this is what I was told.

I agree. Celebrity should provide footstools on balconies that have room. The only way Celebrity will do this is if enough customers ask. I applaud the creative "MacGyver" solutions described in this thread. But it is a bit absurd that people are having to bring/build their own furniture for a cruise.

I do not agree with the argument that we should just book higher grade cabins if we want a footstool. We are the customer - not a guest in someone's home. If customers want something, they should ask. If enough people ask, eventually, some genius in Miami will make a pitch to management, "I have this great idea! What if we provide footstools for all the veranda cabins." Why didn't we think of that?

Because they are available to everyone at a cost ;). Same as the embarkation lunch in the MDR or eating in Blu etc. So some genius in Miami did think, "Let's provide footstools - at an extra cost." ;)

Because they are available to everyone at a cost ;). Same as the embarkation lunch in the MDR or eating in Blu etc. So some genius in Miami did think, "Let's provide footstools - at an extra cost." ;)

Yes, that is what paying extra for perks is all about....Villauk, you have summarised the situation well.

I honestly do have an issue with guests asking relatively junior members of staff to provide items they have not paid for....

As I said in an earlier post if there is a physical issue, no problem. However, if at the start of a cruise a guest 'requests' a footstool the attendant will feel obliged to try to supply. He may worry that his tip and ratings will be compromised if he can not provide...Then fast forward a few days into the cruise and a neighbor of the original 'requester' also now wants a footstool....

Either book a room with a footstool, or if you have a physical disability fill in the form or pay a few $$$on line for a blow up one....

Totally disagree. If you are in a standard balcony cabin, you are not entitled to a footstool. And yes, there is harm in asking. You are putting your CS in an untenable position. Either they accommodate your undeserved request (and risk upsetting other pax--they would have to carry it down the hall to you).. If they don't accommodate, they run the risk of upsetting you. To ask for stuff you do not deserve is a lose-lose situation for a hard working employee. Buck up and pay the tariff for a cabin that includes it or forget about it and live without.

Exactly.

QUOTE by CHEMMO:

"Either book a room with a footstool, or if you have a physical disability fill in the form or pay a few $$$on line for a blow up one....

"

That's right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And now I know why our friends' c cabin was missing a footrest. Their steward never could "locate" one.

Guess some passengers think they are more deserving than those that paid for the upgraded room.:rolleyes:

I would prefer a bottle of Dom Perignon to that $3 a bottle garbage that Celebrity gives us in Aqua/Concierge. So perhaps I should just ask my steward and it shall appear (free of course). And then perhaps my steward can somehow deliver a nice broiled Maine lobster for my lunch. Ahhh...the joys of crusing.

Hank

I would prefer a bottle of Dom Perignon to that $3 a bottle garbage that Celebrity gives us in Aqua/Concierge. So perhaps I should just ask my steward and it shall appear (free of course). And then perhaps my steward can somehow deliver a nice broiled Maine lobster for my lunch. Ahhh...the joys of crusing.

Hank

;p I know, right?

There's a difference in room categories and amenities... for a cost.

And the philosophy of "no harm in asking" is different than " waaaa..Why can't I have that too?".

Maybe some genius at HQ will figure out that balcony chairs should not be provided in the lowest category balcony cabins.

Then if you want to sit on your balcony, you will be told to book a higher cost balcony.

Maybe some genius at HQ will figure out that balcony chairs should not be provided in the lowest category balcony cabins.

Then if you want to sit on your balcony, you will be told to book a higher cost balcony.

Unsure if you realise, but you are already paying for the cost of the replacement of those chairs in your initial balcony cabin pricing, hence the more expensive cost of a balcony cabin against an OV or inside - it's all accounted for. That's why the more amenities that are included in your choice of cabin, the more money it costs. This is highlighted even more so on S class ships where all the cabins, except suites, are exactly the same size: you're paying extra for location and amenities within your choice of cabin category.

Look at it another way, I could ask my steward to replace the balcony chairs with a lounger just because I want one but don't want to pay suite prices, would that be okay too? I think if you want certain items as standard (in every cabin), then you need to book a cruise line that provides those things that are important to you as standard, and I imagine that some of the more upscale (not mass market) lines do. On the other hand, if you have paid for that extra amenity it should be provided without having to ask for it ;).

Look at it another way, I could ask my steward to replace the balcony chairs with a lounger just because I want one but don't want to pay suite prices, would that be okay too? ;).

Not sure about carbill, but I'd be OK with that. I't not like I'm demanding the steward go and steal one off some suite balcony. If they had an extra one around why not have it on my balcony? :D

The last new car I bought was from a dealer that advertised 'no hassle pricing' . The price on the window was the price for all customers. If some people want to pay that price that is their right. I didn't pay that price. I asked for a discount. I wasn't entitled to a discount but I asked for one anyways. The poor low level salesperson had to ask his manager but in the end I paid several thousand dollars less than others paid. :D

And when I asked Mrs. Dawg to marry me, I knew I wasn't entitled to her, heck I wasn't in her league by any stretch of the imagination. To paraphrase that old boxing saying I was punching way above my weight class! ;) I asked, I got, I won! :D

Not sure about carbill, but I'd be OK with that. I't not like I'm demanding the steward go and steal one off some suite balcony. If they had an extra one around why not have it on my balcony? :D

The last new car I bought was from a dealer that advertised 'no hassle pricing' . The price on the window was the price for all customers. If some people want to pay that price that is their right. I didn't pay that price. I asked for a discount. I wasn't entitled to a discount but I asked for one anyways. The poor low level salesperson had to ask his manager but in the end I paid several thousand dollars less than others paid. :D

And when I asked Mrs. Dawg to marry me, I knew I wasn't entitled to her, heck I wasn't in her league by any stretch of the imagination. To paraphrase that old boxing saying I was punching way above my weight class! ;) I asked, I got, I won! :D

You negotiated a price on the car as seen. Did you then give the person that services the cars a list of all the other amenities that were on an alternative make of car that you like and expect him him to 'throw them in' with your initial price?

You negotiated a price on the car as seen. Did you then give the person that services the cars a list of all the other amenities that were on an alternative make of car that you like and expect him him to 'throw them in' with your initial price?

If you are asking would I ask the mechanic who services my car, let's say it's a Toyota, to use a Lexus oil filter, sure I would. Of course, only if the Lexus one was actually better and they had it in stock.

But if you’re asking me if I would ask my Toyota mechanic to replace my hood ornament with Rolls-Royce one, no I would not. Just like I wouldn't ask my X steward to go get a foot stool or a lounger off a Royal Caribbean ship and bring it to my cabin. I wouldn't ask him or her to replace it with a Lexus hood ornament either because those are ugly!