Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

This is going to be our first Royal cruise and I have a question. What happens to the cheaters? Are they charged for the "other" drinks? Are they put off the boat? Just curious. BTW - I will be buying one drink package as soon as I see them on sale again.

Usually the drink packages are cancelled without refund and you'll have to pay for drinks a la carte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be damned. Look what popped up on the OFFICIAL Royal Caribbean site:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqSubjectId=336&faqId=5805

*On select sailings certain beverage packages, like our Deluxe Beverage Package, may require all guests of legal drinking age (21 years and older) in the same stateroom to purchase a package.

What a shame. That's one of the things I really liked about Royal, as sometimes my wife may only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine with dinner so we don't always buy the 2nd package. It's enough to make me consider a different options. But we'll see.

Seems it's kind of like bags and extra fees with airlines. If enough do it, then you aren't really left with options. All the cruise lines make this standard, and the customers get screwed.

I'll be damned. Look what popped up on the OFFICIAL Royal Caribbean site:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqSubjectId=336&faqId=5805

*On select sailings certain beverage packages, like our Deluxe Beverage Package, may require all guests of legal drinking age (21 years and older) in the same stateroom to purchase a package.

What a shame. That's one of the things I really liked about Royal, as sometimes my wife may only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine with dinner so we don't always buy the 2nd package. It's enough to make me consider a different options. But we'll see.

Seems it's kind of like bags and extra fees with airlines. If enough do it, then you aren't really left with options. All the cruise lines make this standard, and the customers get screwed.

We've book a Nov 7 nighter on MSC Balcony Fantastica all inclusive drinks spa and one special dining. We're Black status with them so all diamond perks. 2260 for balcony and all stops w Harmony except labadee. Typically the Divinia said with the Harmony. Just out of Miami there's always that option.

We've book a Nov 7 nighter on MSC Balcony Fantastica all inclusive drinks spa and one special dining. We're Black status with them so all diamond perks. 2260 for balcony and all stops w Harmony except labadee. Typically the Divinia said with the Harmony. Just out of Miami there's always that option.

It's not a big deal for me at the moment. Just something I would factor in when booking our next cruise. I have toyed with the idea of MSC, especially for their Yacht Club. It's not so much the money that annoys me with the drink package requirement, it's the requirement that everyone in the cabin must have it whether they drink or not. It bugs me from a "we assume you are a stealing/cheating bastard" aspect and so we will make you pay!

It's not a big deal for me at the moment. Just something I would factor in when booking our next cruise. I have toyed with the idea of MSC, especially for their Yacht Club. It's not so much the money that annoys me with the drink package requirement, it's the requirement that everyone in the cabin must have it whether they drink or not. It bugs me from a "we assume you are a stealing/cheating bastard" aspect and so we will make you pay!

I'm telling you......if you call and express your displeasure you will be able to purchase just one.

I'm telling you......if you call and express your displeasure you will be able to purchase just one.

It's a non-issue for me at the moment. As I already purchased both (on purpose) for our upcoming cruise. In the future, if they do roll this out and we decide we don't want both, I'd consider calling and discussing it with them.

A mandatory requirement to force a beverage package on all customers - really?

This is the height of corporate arrogance - not acceptable.

Memo to RCL - many people (including ourselves) do not drink alcohol due to various reasons. With the aging of the demographic, more and more cruise customers can not drink alcohol.

No wonder we have fired RCL and Celebrity - considering we have sailed with both since 1989.

That is why many former Celebrity patrons have moved to Oceania which does not force any customer to purchase anything other than the basic cruise fare. Oceania's business is increasing rapidly as they encourage customers to customize their vacation to their liking (air in or out, beverage in or out, no OBC or not).

Guess there are many consumers out there who do not mind being told what to do on their vacation.

RCL - you are fired!

ABoatNerd

Memo to RCL - many people (including ourselves) do not drink alcohol due to various reasons. With the aging of the demographic, more and more cruise customers can not drink alcohol.

No wonder we have fired RCL and Celebrity - considering we have sailed with both since 1989.

That is why many former Celebrity patrons have moved to Oceania which does not force any customer to purchase anything other than the basic cruise fare. Oceania's business is increasing rapidly as they encourage customers to customize their vacation to their liking (air in or out, beverage in or out, no OBC or not).

Guess there are many consumers out there who do not mind being told what to do on their vacation.

RCL - you are fired!

ABoatNerd

They're not forcing you to buy anything. They're saying that if one person in the stateroom buys it, then all guests over 21 must buy it if they're staying in the same room.

I don't understand why people get their knickers in a twist about this. Drink packages are a relatively new thing (last couple years), before their introduction, you would buy drinks a la carte. So if you don't want to buy packages for everyone in the room, then buy drinks individually. If you like to pre-pay and are concerned about the final bill, then buy some OBC for yourself.

RCL - you are fired!

ABoatNerd

I think you misread the change. It is not a "mandatory requirement to force a beverage package on all customers".

RCL - you are fired!

ABoatNerd

You are misunderstanding or misreading. If one person in a cabin purchases an alcoholic package then adults over 21 in the cabin have also to purchase.

Why would this be a mandatory requirement for you? You don't have to purchase anything extra.

Please excuse my ignorance, or perhaps naivety. This is a genuine question!

If only one person (out of a couple in the same cabin) has a drinks package how can the drinks be "shared"? If you are in a bar and order two drinks would you not have to show both cruise cards and therefore be charged for one drink? Presumably you can only order one drink at a time on a card with the package?

Or do people who have paid thousands of £££/$$$ buy one drink with their card showing the package and then go to another bar and order another "free" drink for their partner who has no package?

Really? As above, please excuse my ignorance! New to RCL and drinks packages!

Peter

Please excuse my ignorance, or perhaps naivety. This is a genuine question!

If only one person (out of a couple in the same cabin) has a drinks package how can the drinks be "shared"? If you are in a bar and order two drinks would you not have to show both cruise cards and therefore be charged for one drink? Presumably you can only order one drink at a time on a card with the package?

Or do people who have paid thousands of £££/$$$ buy one drink with their card showing the package and then go to another bar and order another "free" drink for their partner who has no package?

Really? As above, please excuse my ignorance! New to RCL and drinks packages!

Peter

Simple. Go to another bar, get a drink, then bring it back to the person you're sharing with.

Come on everybody - the sharing excuse is just fake news to cover up the greed of RCI!:rolleyes:

Absolutely ! We have both purchased the refreshment package I now wish to cancel mine and buy a ultimate package. DH is quite happy with his sodas and his non alcoholic cocktails and his coffees. I wish to have a few cocktails and a few glasses of wine in the evening so I wanted to upgrade. Now he has to upgrade to something he doesn't actually want or need. I just don't get it why people don't get why I would be annoyed. It's not as if we haven't both got a package just not the same one !

I will give rcl a call tomorrow to see if they will let me upgrade the one package only. I honestly don't think the sharing is as big a problem as made out. People really drink one drink out of the same glass ?!:eek:

Indeed Smilesonfaces, I share your thoughts - drink from the same glass? My wife will not be drinking my beer (bought on the package) as she hates it! She will have a cocktail signed for and paid.

Someone said, "go to another bar and get a drink for your partner (with no package)".

I repeat what I said earlier, do people REALLY do that when they have paid 0000's for the cruise?

Would someone in the Viking Crown Lounge (on Rhapsody, the ship we are going on) really go down what looks like 5 decks to another bar to get a "free" drink.

Bizarre - or is if just me?

Indeed Smilesonfaces, I share your thoughts - drink from the same glass? My wife will not be drinking my beer (bought on the package) as she hates it! She will have a cocktail signed for and paid.

Someone said, "go to another bar and get a drink for your partner (with no package)".

I repeat what I said earlier, do people REALLY do that when they have paid 0000's for the cruise?

Would someone in the Viking Crown Lounge (on Rhapsody, the ship we are going on) really go down what looks like 5 decks to another bar to get a "free" drink.

Bizarre - or is if just me?

Your Viking Crown Lounge is obviously an extreme example. There are many other locations where there are 2 bars very close to each other. And yes, people REALLY do that.

I'm not sure what paying 0000's for the cruise has to do with anything.

Fair point re the Viking Lounge - as far as the paying 0000's is concerned I simply meant people paying lots of money for the holiday overall and trying to save a few £££/$$$ by getting drinks free that they KNOW should be paid for seems strange to me.

I am not trying to be "holier than thou" but it does seem odd to me. As I said earlier, perhaps I am being naive.

This is going to be our first Royal cruise and I have a question. What happens to the cheaters? Are they charged for the "other" drinks? Are they put off the boat? Just curious. BTW - I will be buying one drink package as soon as I see them on sale again.

If caught, I have heard that the drink package is removed from the person who bought it and no refund given.

To verify, I am on the 7/30 Harmony sailing, and I already purchased the Deluxe package and my wife hasn't, we have nothing to worry about. She doesn't drink that much, so not worth it to her.

To verify, I am on the 7/30 Harmony sailing, and I already purchased the Deluxe package and my wife hasn't, we have nothing to worry about. She doesn't drink that much, so not worth it to her.

Says it on the very first post in this thread that the pilot testing begins on the September 30th sailing.