Zika concern!

On Friday, I just found out that I'm 10 weeks pregnant :D But my cruise on the Anthem of the Seas leaves on August 3rd and will be going to 3 countries that have Zika. Unfortunately I didn't buy cruise inurance, but from what I have been reading, the insurance does not cover Travel to Zika infected areas. I was on the phone with Royal Caribbean for about an hour in Friday and they said if I cancel then I would have a 75% penalty. This would be the same if I changed itineraries. If I provide a doctor's note then they will review my case and MAY refund the penalty and give a cruise credit valid for up to 2 years. So there is no guarentee of me getting a full credit.

I was still thinking of going because I cannot afford to lose all that money. I have purchased Sawyer repellent products as a precaution. I was told that Bermuda is not affected and I'm able to get off there. As for the other ports (St. Martin, San Juan, Haiti), I would not get off the ship. There are soo many things to do that will keep me busy. Timing is bad but my husband and I have not had vacation since having our son 4 years ago and with another one coming we need the time together.

First talk to your doctor. If I were in your position, I would do exactly as you plan. Get off in non Zika areas and just stay on the ship everywhere else. In all my cruising I have never seen a mosquito on a ship or any other bug for that matter, even when docked. You will find plenty to do on Anthem.

Congratulations!

RCI statement on Zika and pregnancy in FAQ section:

"Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty."

Sounds like the rep you talked to was not aware of their official policy. Note - "with no penalty"

Should be no problem getting a doctor diagnosis of your pregnancy, then call RCI back and refer them to their FAQ answer on Zika.

Edited by peach section
clarification

Our son and daughter-in-law had no trouble at all getting a future cruise credit for up to two years because of the Zika virus.

Mosquitoes have no concept of on the ship and off the ship. The results of contracting Zike would be catastrophic and life altering for both you and your husband, and your unborn child. Is a vacation really worth risking your child's entire future for?

Please remember too, that it is not just YOU who is at risk for Zika. If your husband contracted Zika, then his sperm could infect you and your baby for many, many months.

If it were me, or my kids, I would cancel your cruise and get the credit to cruise after the baby is born. You can always do a land based vacation somewhere safe.

From the CDC....

Zika can be sexually transmitted from a person who has Zika to his or her sex partners, even while they are not symptomatic.

Pregnant women with sex partners who live in or traveled to an*area with risk of Zika*should use condoms during sex or abstain from sex for the duration of their pregnancy.

All other couples in which a partner has been in an*area with risk of Zika*can also reduce the risk of sexual transmission by using condoms or abstaining from sex

Healthcare providers should test pregnant women who may have been exposed to Zika through sex without a condom with a person who lives in or traveled to an area with a*CDC Zika travel notice, regardless of symptoms.

Healthcare providers should test any patients for Zika if they have symptoms*and*report potential sexual exposure to a partner who lives in or traveled to an*area with risk of Zika, even if that partner was never sick.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

RCI statement on Zika and pregnancy in FAQ section:

"Royal Caribbean will assist any pregnant women who do not feel comfortable sailing to countries affected with the Zika virus by providing alternate itinerary options. This may include providing guests with a future cruise credit valid for two years so that they may re-schedule their voyage for a later date, with no penalty."

Sounds like the rep you talked to was not aware of their official policy. Note - "with no penalty"

Note - "This may"

Not the same as "This will". Sneaky lawyers!

I think it's easy for non affected parents-to-be to say don't worry about it or stay on the boat (we had plenty of people tell us this), but it depends on the parents. Our doctor advised us not to, and so we ultimately decided not to go, but instead went on a new england, canada cruise on Anthem, and the full credit was applied to that sailing.

This year, we are going on Harmony in October with our 7mo old DD and the lack of anxiety over it on the cruise is totally worth it.

Only travel related cases- no local transmission at this time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sooo...carriers are up here...and hoping it is not spread? :rolleyes:

And speaking of the nasty little mosquitos...there are many...many more diseases they carry. Not just Zika.

Be afraid...be very afraid. :o

Can Zika also be transmitted through breast feeding? I'd check with a doctor. If so, that may influence post-pregnancy cruuising plans. There are some technical clothing retailers that offer clothing with some form of bug repelency impregnated into the fabric. Not endorsing this one in particular, but I followed an Appalachian Trail through hiker (Georgia to Maine in 113-114 days) who wore an Ex Officio bug jacket that he stated keep flies & mosquitoes pretty much in check during his hike, so there is clothing out there that can help from getting bit. P.S.-my daughter lives in Grenada and contracted Zika last year. So much for pregnancy plans. She just told me today that the bugs are very heavy right now down there. In fact, as I was on the phone to her, I could hear her husband using a power sprayer to spray the outside of their house, which has to be done every day or 2 right now. Other times of the year it will only be every week or 2 she said. By her own admission, she is a bug magnet.

The money lost from the cruise will be a small price to pay for the lifetime of care and cost that would be given to you and your child should he/she suffer from microcephaly. (SP?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in Ground Zero of the Panhandle( the initial cases were in my county). The county was pretty aggressive about spraying for it and many warnings and PSAs abounded.

Take another itinerary. Just not worth it. And yes I have been attacked by the bloodsuckers while still on board the ship in port. Bet your doctor would concur

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The money lost from the cruise will be a small price to pay for the lifetime of care and cost that would be given to you and your child should he/she suffer from microcephaly. (SP?)

I would have to agree with this poster, the risk just doesn't seem worth it, but it is a very personal decision to make. I would call back and speak to someone else at RCI and quote the policy (as shared by another poster), explain that obviously this was unforeseen and obviously you don't want to be put in a position where you must choose between your child's health or a cruise vacation that you felt compelled to take for economic reasons. I would hope that they give you a more solid response. I'd also make sure to have the doctors note in hand ready to fax while on the phone. Good luck and congratulations.

Congrats on the baby! I am sure you have been so excited about taking this cruise and while you are happy about the baby you don't want to change your plans. i understand your disappointment about not going.

Try to rebook and go on a cruise that doesn't have the risk. That's your best option now.

Can Zika also be transmitted through breast feeding? I'd check with a doctor. If so, that may influence post-pregnancy cruuising plans. There are some technical clothing retailers that offer clothing with some form of bug repelency impregnated into the fabric. Not endorsing this one in particular, but I followed an Appalachian Trail through hiker (Georgia to Maine in 113-114 days) who wore an Ex Officio bug jacket that he stated keep flies & mosquitoes pretty much in check during his hike, so there is clothing out there that can help from getting bit. P.S.-my daughter lives in Grenada and contracted Zika last year. So much for pregnancy plans. She just told me today that the bugs are very heavy right now down there. In fact, as I was on the phone to her, I could hear her husband using a power sprayer to spray the outside of their house, which has to be done every day or 2 right now. Other times of the year it will only be every week or 2 she said. By her own admission, she is a bug magnet.

re: the bold, it may be transmittable, yes (I don't know for sure), BUT the risk to a baby is only during the in utero time frame, while mom is pregnant and baby's brain is developing (thus causing the risk of microencephalitis). Once baby is born, the risk to baby would be similar to the risk to an adult...the symptoms are mild, as I understand it, *except for those pregnant/may become pregnant*.

To the OP, do check with your doctor; I believe they have narrowed down when, in the pregnancy, the baby is at risk. It is possible (though I do not know for sure) you'd be far enough along for this not to end up being a concern. If your doctor says don't go, I'd get the doctor's note and talk to RCI and see what they do with that information; would they expect you to cancel first, *then* they'd review and give you the credit, or would they be willing to evaluate the situation and let you know their offer first...?

Just to clarify the comments about Zika in Maine. Please read this 2016 news article below. The aedes aegypti mosquito is the only mosquito that can transmit Zika and it cannot live in the cold temps of Maine or other northern states. A person who visited the Caribbean contracted the virus there and returned home to Maine. My husband is a mosquito biologist who has worked with the CDC on the Zika project. If one is going to the Caribbean (and we are soon), take along products that contain Deet and spray yourself if you are concerned about going ashore.

If you are pregnant, that is a whole different story with different risks. That's up to you and your doctor to decide if you should risk a visit to the islands.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/02/25/maine-sees-first-case-of-zika-virus-infection/