2 Weeks on the QV; Cunard has become rather like Mrs May

ToadOfToadHall

I have sailed on the QV twice now on rather long cruises....I am wondering with the refit if the so called Chart Room gets real crowded in the evening and if there is any live music...

The Chart room (or what's left of it) was never crowded at all. In fact, we were on a couple of occasions, the only people in it before the early dinner sitting.

There's no more live music in the Chart Room because there's no space for the players to sit. They did however have the string quartet playing in the main lobby so you could hear (but not see) them.

One evening they played in the Commodore Lounge instead of the pianist. I must say the pianist was rather good, but after 16 nights it did get somewhat boring.

I just received an offer from Cunard for "Free Drinks in Balcony and Above" for 2018 sailings. In light of the increased drink costs, that sounds like a glimmer of good news.:cool:

I suppose it depends how much the cruise price has been increased by to cover the "free" drinks !

I just received an offer from Cunard for "Free Drinks in Balcony and Above" for 2018 sailings. In light of the increased drink costs, that sounds like a glimmer of good news.:cool:

Have you read the fine print on the offer? Personally, I don't see it as a glimmer of good news, I see it as Cunard making yet another sketchy offer that will only secure more red card passengers, and alienate repeat customers.

Hang on a bit Brian, surely you're not serious about comparing alcohol drink prices between a cruise ship and and a supermarket?

Meanwhile...

"We sailed P&O for the first time this year and thought it an inferior product to Princess"

"We are sailing on the QE next year and are dreading it"

Sounds to me you're not doing your homework very well.

No,I was not being serious,I was just taking the mick out of your IMO condescending "tightwad" statement.No homework required regarding P&O v Princess,we have sailed both and fact IMO Princess is far ahead,especially regarding food choice and quality.Still doing homework regarding QE, hence that is why I am on this board,gleaning all info and opinions I can,cheers,Brian.

Hi,I wouldnt call them tightwads,just people who speak up when they feel they are being fleeced.All the Charlie big potatoes on board dont bat an eyelid(they probably do but wont lose face by admitting it).We normally sail Princess mainly because of the itineraries,We sailed P&O for the first time this year and thought it an inferior product to Princess,especially the standard of food.We are sailing on the QE next year and are dreading it.By the sound of it,its getting like Butlins at sea with Savoy prices.I think we will double up on our rum runners and remove grats to compensate,lol.On the subject of Lidl, we've just bought 10 bottles of vodka(the same judged by blind tasting as being on par with grey goose etc)for 53 euro,the same in UK is £110.So on behalf of the tight wads out there Lidl Italia trumps them all,lol,cheers,Brian.

No,I was not being serious,I was just taking the mick out of your IMO condescending "tightwad" statement.No homework required regarding P&O v Princess,we have sailed both and fact IMO Princess is far ahead,especially regarding food choice and quality.Still doing homework regarding QE, hence that is why I am on this board,gleaning all info and opinions I can,cheers,Brian.

Good morning Brian and good luck with the homework.

Now that is serious. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

Most folk I know do it before making the booking.

Hence I've got an excellent deal on Princess, first time with them and straight into 'Elite' status plus $500.00 Military OBC and another $250 to come as a Carnival shareholder.

What's more I'm really looking forward to the cruise in a mini-suite.

Cheers.

Richard

Good morning Brian and good luck with the homework.

Now that is serious. :evilsmile::evilsmile:

Most folk I know do it before making the booking.

Hence I've got an excellent deal on Princess, first time with them and straight into 'Elite' status plus $500.00 Military OBC and another $250 to come as a Carnival shareholder.

What's more I'm really looking forward to the cruise in a mini-suite.

Cheers.

Richard

I would have sailed on the Woolwich ferry for the itinerary.Singapore to Capetown with a 7 day landtour including Victoria falls.Just potluck with cruiseline,just hope it lives up to expectations.Look forward to your opinion of Princess,cheers,Brian.

A bit off topic but.....

...loving the filing system Hattie! I'm intrigued to know if you have separate files for the daily programmes etc., or if everything is integrated into one file?

I wonder how many of us are doing this :confused:

Thanks, I file by cruise although not very thoroughly ! I couldn't find the menus from our QE2 cruise when I was looking yesterday. I think I'm a few cruises behind as well, every drawer I open seems to have a Daily Programme in it !

I'm with you on the filing Host Hattie! I also have a file of each cruise (and am also a bit behind!).

On the subject of the food on board, we didn't spot any big differences from previous cruises whilst on our recent QE cruise. In fact on several occasions I could remember the dishes from previous cruises. I certainly didn't notice any drop in standards. We thought it was all as wonderful as usual.

I am now trying to lose the weight I put on eating it all!

Have you read the fine print on the offer? Personally, I don't see it as a glimmer of good news, I see it as Cunard making yet another sketchy offer that will only secure more red card passengers, and alienate repeat customers.

I guess I should have picked a more sarcastic smilie...;p

We were recently on the QE on the World Cruise and enjoyed the cuisine immensely. The fish and seafood was delicious as were most of the entrees. We are now looking forward to the QV this winter.
Things are looking up already,thats what I like to hear,cheers,Brian.

Thanks, I file by cruise although not very thoroughly ! I couldn't find the menus from our QE2 cruise when I was looking yesterday. I think I'm a few cruises behind as well, every drawer I open seems to have a Daily Programme in it !

I looked again and here is our old friend 3886b859b9efc1b2a2c936231605fb25.jpg

ca53dee9bf8aa2c6291ac9d1b3b8ccb7.jpg

I agree regarding food and In the Britannia Resturant. We were on a QM2 on the world cruise. There is restricted choice and poor quality food. The drinks were also excessively priced. We stopped ordering wine for dinner. The Veranda restaurant was also poor and overpriced.

The excessive, improper use of commas n that first image will drive me to drink if it's that way on our first QM2 crossing next May. Holy moly.

I'm sure you will be fine, there isn't the same blurb anymore.

I can give you another example last week that can beat that:

One drink I ordered (for someone else) was Gin, Lemonade and Blackcurrant cordial. When the waiter brought the drinks, he informed me there were two receipts to sign as he'd forgotten the blackcurrant. So I was present with a separate bill of a spit of cordial; $1 +15% if you please. I'd just spend about £30 on 4 drinks but they could not let the extra quid go. I did not know whether to laugh or cry !

That cordial would have cost you £1 on P&O although no 15% added. Thats what they charged me for a dash of lime cordial in my vodka and lemonade. I did get my 8.5% discount though 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oh please. Prices have been going down over the last twenty years. Cabin sizes and amenities have been improving.

My experiences on the QE2 back in the day was not the romantic vision that some here seem to imagine. I remember queuing up for our jewelry at night before dinner, so yes, we all dressed up more all the time. But so did people in society in general.

Even then, I didn't remember the food being outstanding, it had to come up in an elevator ... I did prefer the Cunard countess for the meals which seemed more fresh.

The fact is, one can do a crossing for as little as $100 per day. Keeping one's expectations aligned to that reality will prevent disappointment.

If you want a higher standard, then save up for the Grills. Or sail one of the other lines where the per diems are $500 pp per day and up. Then you can complain if your Camembert is cold.

oh please. Prices have been going down over the last twenty years. Cabin sizes and amenities have been improving.

My experiences on the QE2 back in the day was not the romantic vision that some here seem to imagine. I remember queuing up for our jewelry at night before dinner, so yes, we all dressed up more all the time. But so did people in society in general.

Even then, I didn't remember the food being outstanding, it had to come up in an elevator ... I did prefer the Cunard countess for the meals which seemed more fresh.

The fact is, one can do a crossing for as little as $100 per day. Keeping one's expectations aligned to that reality will prevent disappointment.

If you want a higher standard, then save up for the Grills. Or sail one of the other lines where the per diems are $500 pp per day and up. Then you can complain if your Camembert is cold.

Where have you found a crossing for $100 a day? More like £150 and you would need to book a 6 star cruise to have to spend $500 a day!

Where have you found a crossing for $100 a day? More like £150 and you would need to book a 6 star cruise to have to spend $500 a day!

You can spend that amount pppd and then some on Cunard too.

Err, no. One can easily spend $500 a day in QG.

if you are solo and booking here in the Australasia region even a oceanview let alone a balcony on Cunard can be $500 pd easy. You guys have it easy.

But I agree....people see the QE2 through rose coloured glasses, she had character and a personality but certainly ammenities and decor on current ships are far more luxurious than they were on the ships in the past.

Even including taxes and port charges, it's costing us about $100 per person per night to do the September 7 TA (in an interior stateroom, granted). Hewing as close to that $100 as possible would require not spending a dime on board, including on gratuities, though.