Hair Straighteners

Owenred

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues regarding Hair Straighteners and taking them onboard NCL. We have previously done it on two NCL cruises with no issues but have recently read that someone had them taken of them on the EPIC. There appears to be no written formal change in the prohibited items can anyone shed some light please as Mrs Red will not be happy with frizzy hair and il get the brunt of it.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues regarding Hair Straighteners and taking them onboard NCL. We have previously done it on two NCL cruises with no issues but have recently read that someone had them taken of them on the EPIC. There appears to be no written formal change in the prohibited items can anyone shed some light please as Mrs Red will not be happy with frizzy hair and il get the brunt of it.

Thanks

I was also reading the thread where the op posted that her hair straightener was confiscated on the Epic. Hope this is not something new, as dd will not leave the cabin if her flat-iron is taken away!!

I was also reading the thread where the op posted that her hair straightener was confiscated on the Epic. Hope this is not something new, as dd will not leave the cabin if her flat-iron is taken away!!

She must be related to mine! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone has had any issues regarding Hair Straighteners and taking them onboard NCL. We have previously done it on two NCL cruises with no issues but have recently read that someone had them taken of them on the EPIC. There appears to be no written formal change in the prohibited items can anyone shed some light please as Mrs Red will not be happy with frizzy hair and il get the brunt of it. Thanks

So rather than listening to hearsay and speculation, let's go straight to NCL's Guest Conduct Policy

Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

Hi there-think it was my thread you were probably reading! When I queried it the crew member told me it was a new policy! She also said that water was no longer allowed to be brought on board. They held the straightener for me and I collected it on the last night.. perhaps I was just unlucky though as I can imagine the number of cases withheld would have been huge if all bags with straighteners were taken!

• 1 month later...
So rather than listening to hearsay and speculation, let's go straight to NCL's Guest Conduct Policy

Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

Sadly hair straightners/flat irons are different than curling items (although the premise and heating functionality is the same). I never had a problem with a flat iron, but maybe something has changed recently. Mine has an "auto off" feature but not sure that anyone will care if it really is a restricted item.

https://www.ncl.com/au/en/prohibited-items Item 21 does specify flat irons are prohibited but to me the context seems to be meaning like a clothing iron, not a beauty item.

Has one one cruised since July 1 and have any insight to share?

You may bring ANY and ALL hair appliances! Women would NOT cruise if they couldn't fix their hair! It's only CLOTHES irons they disallow...and it's because they can CHARGE for pressing.

Bring your curling iron, your straight iron, your crimping iron, your electric curlers, your hair dryers...it's all fine!

To the best of my knowledge, the policy hasn't changed. All hair care appliances are the only exempt appliances with heating elements. This means dryers, curlers, flat irons (straighteners), etc.

Cb, as usual you are posting incorrect information. They would prohibit hair care appliances if they felt they could get away with it, and they prohibit clothes irons not because they can charge for it, but because they are a potential fire hazard. Sadly, I know you never return to a thread where you "drive by" and post mostly incorrect information, so you won't see this, but others will.

With regards to "auto-off" features, this is probably the most dangerous part of a hair care appliance, or anything with a heating element. These switches are notorious for failing, and keeping the appliance on, heating it until it melts or catches something else on fire. Mr. Coffee almost went out of business in the 80's from lawsuits over house fires started by their auto-off switches failing. Please ensure the hair care appliance is unplugged except when in use.

The prohibited item list linked a couple of posts up, seems to be an Australian site, and there may be some differences in definition of "flat iron" between the two types of English.

Sadly hair straightners/flat irons are different than curling items (although the premise and heating functionality is the same). I never had a problem with a flat iron, but maybe something has changed recently. Mine has an "auto off" feature but not sure that anyone will care if it really is a restricted item.

https://www.ncl.com/au/en/prohibited-items Item 21 does specify flat irons are prohibited but to me the context seems to be meaning like a clothing iron, not a beauty item.

Has one one cruised since July 1 and have any insight to share?

That is a clothing iron.

Again, avoid heresay, read the policy Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

Thank you all for your helpful insights.

In regards to the 'auto-off' feature - I totally agree.... Not something I ever rely on; it's purely a fail-over protection. I prefer to totally unplug my heating devices when not at use even at home. Knowing that it has 'auto-off' has saved me several times from getting 1/2 way to the office then needing to turn around to go home and "double check" that I did unplug it. (When I do get home it has always been unplugged - phew!)

• 2 weeks later...

I just called NCL because I have traveled with them many times and this will be my second time on the Escape and I was told that absolutely no flat irons, only curling irons and hair dryers which would require a converter. That they will confiscate it. I also asked about the water because we always purchase a pack and it isn't allowed. This really is a problem for me and my daughters.

• 2 months later...

I just talked to NCL's customer service and they said that both straighteners and curling irons are no longer allowed. That when I eventually check in there will be a new list of prohibited items and those are explicitly on it. :(

I just talked to NCL's customer service and they said that both straighteners and curling irons are no longer allowed. That when I eventually check in there will be a new list of prohibited items and those are explicitly on it. :(

I took mine, in April, never used them. I did use the hair salon 3 times tho x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from the escape from miami, was concerned about taking on hair straighteners, just to let you know my wife took on board in hand luggage, hair straighteners, curling tongs and a travel iron to press clothes with, no problem at all only time our bags were checked was x ray machines on entering the terminal before check in

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but for the benefit of cruisers now. Just got this from NCL site:

1. Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, hair flat irons, curling irons and shavers are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard while onboard, they will be removed by ship security and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.
Edited by Vogette
Spelling errors corrected!
  • Like 1