Non Refundable Deposit is now the default pricing

Andi Land

It's 95% back prior to 30 days before departure (unless that has changed).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Forgot something. It is not 80 - 90% prior to departure. It is from the date that the cancellation penalty commences, and

that may depend upon the cruise.

Unfortunately, we learned of this new practice the hard way. We were on a 2 week Alaska cruise last week and booked another cruise for 2018 while onboard. The future sales young lady said absolutely nothing about it being a non-refundable deposit (after nearly 60 cruises we never even gave it a thought) and were absolutely furious when we learned she booked it as a SnapFare when she could have booked it as a Mariner or standard fare. The price she gave us was the same as on the computer so it was no 'sale'!!!! We are now fighting the issue with Holland America...

Edited by Trav-ler
spelling

I just found out something from a HAL rep. He said that even if you buy Hal ins the NON refundable deposit isn't part of the insurance. Only the balance of the payment is refundable (period) I asked because I wanted to know what the difference in price and deposit was. The difference between fully refundable and non-refundable is only $200 pp. IF we decide to book the cruise it will be at the refundable rate.

It looks like the cruise lines will be all going that way. Royal Caribbean is: https://www.******************.com/2017/05/09/royal-caribbean-announces-new-non-refundable-deposit-program

I guess I can't post a link to the article. :(

I think I found the articile. ;)

RCCL will continue to offer regular pricing as well and the non refundable has some points attached to it.

The only place it seems where the non refundable is a "must" is their high end suites! (Effective July 1st)

This link has some of the info. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7808

I think I found the articile. ;)

RCCL will continue to offer regular pricing as well and the non refundable has some points attached to it.

The only place it seems where the non refundable is a "must" is their high end suites! (Effective July 1st)

This link has some of the info. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7808

Unfortunately, however, HAL seems to be applying it across the board to all categories; note the fares for the Grand Voyages.

Unfortunately, however, HAL seems to be applying it across the board to all categories; note the fares for the Grand Voyages.

You can get the refundable fares on HAL by calling (your TA, PCC or HAL). A PITA but they are there.

Am I understanding correctly that the only option for the Grand Voyages is the non refundable one - not refundable at all? That really stinks :( Those are big investments!

You can get the refundable fares on HAL by calling (your TA, PCC or HAL). A PITA but they are there.

Am I understanding correctly that the only option for the Grand Voyages is the non refundable one - not refundable at all? That really stinks :( Those are big investments!

No, I don't know if there are refundables. I booked before the website showed the "non-refundable deposits" on their first page. I did not follow through with trial booking to see if there were refundable deposits available. I saw the same footnote on the Grand World. My TA confirmed with HAL that the non-refundables became effective on July 11th. (I avoided it by one week!)

Another CC called her PCC, who told her a couple of weeks ago that the cruise had not, at that point, been selling well. I wonder if it has anything to do with these deposits.

I just found out something from a HAL rep. He said that even if you buy Hal ins the NON refundable deposit isn't part of the insurance. Only the balance of the payment is refundable (period) I asked because I wanted to know what the difference in price and deposit was. The difference between fully refundable and non-refundable is only $200 pp. IF we decide to book the cruise it will be at the refundable rate.

Have you checked with a rep from the insurance company that is underwriting the CCP? I believe that the policy says: ". . . . and receive a refund equal to 90% (Platinum policy) of the prepaird, non-refundable portion of your cruise vacation." I don't take any HAL's rep at face value. It is worthwhile checking.

To "Trav-ler"'s comment about difficulty with an on-board cruise consultant giving bad information about deposits.

We had the same difficulty last year when we committed $1,700 in deposits without being told they were non-refundable. It took weeks of difficulty getting those deposits--not refunded--but moved to another cruise.

If HAL is going to make these significant changes and not make enemies in the process, they must be sure all the "players" in the "booking game" know what the changes are and be able to give correct information about them.

In this as in all things....Buyer Beware.

To "Trav-ler"'s comment about difficulty with an on-board cruise consultant giving bad information about deposits.

We had the same difficulty last year when we committed $1,700 in deposits without being told they were non-refundable. It took weeks of difficulty getting those deposits--not refunded--but moved to another cruise.

If HAL is going to make these significant changes and not make enemies in the process, they must be sure all the "players" in the "booking game" know what the changes are and be able to give correct information about them.

In this as in all things....Buyer Beware.

EXACTLY! (Bolding is mine).

No, I don't know if there are refundables. I booked before the website showed the "non-refundable deposits" on their first page. I did not follow through with trial booking to see if there were refundable deposits available. I saw the same footnote on the Grand World. My TA confirmed with HAL that the non-refundables became effective on July 11th. (I avoided it by one week!)

Another CC called her PCC, who told her a couple of weeks ago that the cruise had not, at that point, been selling well. I wonder if it has anything to do with these deposits.

Like Tampa Girl, I also booked the 2018 Grand Asia before the nonrefundable deposits became effective. Now I would like to rebook in a more expensive cabin, but not at the risk of losing my refundable deposit.

Have you checked with a rep from the insurance company that is underwriting the CCP? I believe that the policy says: ". . . . and receive a refund equal to 90% (Platinum policy) of the prepaird, non-refundable portion of your cruise vacation." I don't take any HAL's rep at face value. It is worthwhile checking.

From Hal's website:

Four reasons to choose the Holland America Line Cancellation Protection Plan:

1. YOU CAN CANCEL BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ANY REASON. Even if it's up to 24 hours before departure under our Standard Plan or right up to departure with our Platinum Plan. Your reservation may be easily cancelled for any reason whatsoever - no claim forms to submit or fine print to review.

2. YOU GET MONEY BACK. Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan).

(note: bolded in red is mine)

I believe the rep was correct. He said the non-refundable deposits were not part of the ins. (I don't know if this is new to HAL's website or not, but it is there it is) I think they can use the "eligible" part to not refund the original non-refundable deposit!

From Hal's website:

Four reasons to choose the Holland America Line Cancellation Protection Plan:

1. YOU CAN CANCEL BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ANY REASON. Even if it's up to 24 hours before departure under our Standard Plan or right up to departure with our Platinum Plan. Your reservation may be easily cancelled for any reason whatsoever - no claim forms to submit or fine print to review.
  2. YOU GET MONEY BACK. Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan).

(note: bolded in red is mine)

I believe the rep was correct. He said the non-refundable deposits were not part of the ins. (I don't know if this is new to HAL's website or not, but it is there it is) I think they can use the "eligible" part to not refund the original non-refundable deposit!

Yes, I saw that and I realize that might be an out. I was suggesting, however, to check with the insurance underwriter before you accept the rep's words. They are frequently wrong.

I would think a credit card chargeback might be possible for someone who booked on board and was not told the deposit was non-refundable UNLESS the paperwork states that the deposit is not refundable.

I would think a credit card chargeback might be possible for someone who booked on board and was not told the deposit was non-refundable UNLESS the paperwork states that the deposit is not refundable.

I think there is a time limit on chargebacks.

Yes there is a time limit but I think it is 60 days. Plenty of time to request one when you get back from your cruise - unless of course you lucky enough to be on a World Cruise or some other really long one!

I just spoke with the underwriter of the CPP, and she confirmed that the initial, non-refundable deposit is refundable under the CPP. The policy clearly provides that, so I didn't understand how HAL could decide that the insurance carrier would not reimburse these deposits.

Sorry, but I STRONGLY disagree.

The footnote is so small that you nearly need a magnifying glass (and yes, I have 20/20 vision).

HAL has totally changed their way of doing business with no heads up. I can't recall the last time there were specials on HAL with a non refundable deposit (unless you were inside the final payment window).

Sorry, I disagree. It's not transparent and makes it hard to see the real price without it. I am NOT impressed. And some people think I am a cheerleader ;)

This is as bad as when they brought out the no wine policy without notice. Yes, they changed that after they got enough protests.

this, to me is misleading. Regular HAL cruisers could miss this and it was NOT there two days ago when my cruise price dropped. That is misleading. OK, HAL has crappy IT, I know, but this is not something you play with.

But what do I know? I just believe in honest, good business practices. This is a complete switch from what HAL has done in the past. If they can email me about shore excursions and all the other stuff, why not email everyone who has a booking and give them a heads up and save a lot of agents a lot of work?

Why don't they get their website fixed and give us the option to see the alternate pricing? So now, to get the "real price" I have to call? Seriously???

Not a happy camper, and I do think it's misleading, sorry.

I am with you Kazu.

I have had to cancel 3 cruises that we had every intention to taking at the time of booking. We love to cruise. But when my doctor writes in her notes that I am not ready yet that changes everything. Who know that 27 months later I would still be sick?

Now we have FCC and I am afraid to even look!

I always get HAL's insurance so I can get 90% of the fare back if I cancel.

Please note; the insurance says refund of applicable fees. You will not get refund of the non refundable deposit. This was told to us by our HAL representative we deal with.

Unless all other mass market cruise lines follow suit this will have a negative impact on HAL.

TA's do not want issues with customers when the cancel/change a cruise if the deposit is non refundable. They will go with the path of least resistance/issues. That means recommending a cruise line with different business and booking practices. The only concern is that other cruise lines follow implement the same policy. They are probably doing the wait and see dance.

Have to agree though, even if HAL wants to institute this policy they are going about it in the worst possible way.

When it comes to money and services reputable firms with good business and customer communication policies very clearly and in bold print typically highlight such restrictions. Fine print or no print does not cut it from a consumer perspective.