Non Refundable Deposit is now the default pricing

Andi Land

[quote name=bUU;53625661

You want companies to make the least attractive aspects of their offering prominent. I'm sorry' date=' but with respect that's a very naive view of how advertising and promotion works in our society.

Now if you want to start talking about passing laws to make these kinds of business practices illegal, I'm with you. But until then, and until you're successful getting such laws passed, this is how things are, and therefore how these businesses must operate, based on their obligations to their owners.[/quote]

But the fact is, the non-refundable deposit apparently refer to a lower-price for the same cruise that offer refundable deposits at a higher price. So I don't see where these higher prices and refundable deposits constitute "the least attractive aspects of their offering." Further, insurance can cover these non-refundable deposits. If anything, a clear identification of the difference in price between these two prices and deposits can sell the cruise to someone who is not concerned with the non-refundabiity issue. All else aside, I don't see where HAL's present procedure is good marketing.

By the way, there are, at least at present, laws against deceptive advertising.

So I don't see where these higher prices and refundable deposits constitute "the least attractive aspects of their offering."
You don't see where a higher price would be one of the least attractive aspects of the offering? I guess we have nothing to discuss. :shrug:

All else aside, I don't see where HAL's present procedure is good marketing.
But they do.

By the way, there are, at least at present, laws against deceptive advertising.
There's nothing deceptive in that screen-shot I presented. There's nothing deceptive about not advertising a higher price. This is what I was talking about earlier: Making an accusation (instead of just expressing dislike) when the cruise line did nothing wrong.

You want the things they're doing to be recategorized from "legal and legitimate" as they are today to "illegal and illegitimate". That's fine. But that's not how it is today.

HAL cheerleaders can hang their hat on anything, claim anything, point to other cruise lines.

Bottom line for us....take a hard look with the extent that other reputable firms in the hospitality industry do, or the airline industry for that matter, do to make the refundable and non refundable options CLEAR to their customers, but continue the theme often with two, sometimes three very clear notices between the selection process and the final payment process. And in our experience the CSR's do it numerous times as well.

IF you do this in all good faith I have little doubt that you will reach a conclusion as to where on the totem pole HAL sits in this regard. A hint....very close to the bottom

That sounds a lot like you're saying, "If you agree with me then you're good, and if you disagree with me then you're ... what did you call it? ... then you're a 'cheerleader'." Isn't it possible for reasonable people to disagree?

Regardless, comparisons to industry standards, such as other cruise lines, is a very legitimate basis on which to assess a cruise line's actions. Comparison to society's laws is another legitimate basis.

In a broader context: Is it possible for consumers to be unhappy about something without it necessarily being wrong? Is it possible for a business to follow the law, do what others in the industry do, do what's best for its owners, even if consumers don't necessarily likely it, without that being a sin?

Thank you all for pointing this out to me. I pulled up the screen of the cruise I am looking at and you all are right it says the deposits are "non--refundable" I did not notice that before

I think maybe some of the word about non-refundable deposits has gotten out. I got an e-mail from HAL last night. I have a cruise on hold and have been going back and forth because the deposit is quite high and it is almost 2 yrs away, but I found the cabin that I want and I think it is at a very good price. In fact the deposit is more than one person's whole fare! Anyway I got an e-mail last night from a pcc at HAL telling me that she had extended my hold for another 5 days! Maybe the cruise isn't selling too well with all this non-refundable stuff. Anyway our internet was down this morning and I called HAL and sure enough they said no problem holding it and if we can't decide by the 29th call and they will hold it again.

BTW - our deposit for this cruise if FULLY refundable.

My other point is that the "NON-REFUNDABLE" really needs to be highlighted on their website and not in those little letters that no one notices!

Bottom line, I don't know that most people booking cruises are as "in tune" with all this, like all of you. I'm guilty, wasn't as knowledgeable about non-refundable deposits as I should have been. I did book a long cruise, almost a year ago, and had no idea about the terms and conditions. I'm ok with it all since we have a good cabin and a great price, but boy, if I was hoping for an upgrade or an upsell, I'd be up the creek! We've been cruising a long time, and this caught me off guard. Glad I like the stateroom we chose.

Bottom line, I don't know that most people booking cruises are as "in tune" with all this, like all of you. I'm guilty, wasn't as knowledgeable about non-refundable deposits as I should have been. I did book a long cruise, almost a year ago, and had no idea about the terms and conditions. I'm ok with it all since we have a good cabin and a great price, but boy, if I was hoping for an upgrade or an upsell, I'd be up the creek! We've been cruising a long time, and this caught me off guard. Glad I like the stateroom we chose.

I don't believe booking with a non-refundable deposit or a refundable deposit will have any impact on whether or not HAL offers you a complimentary upgrade or a paid upsell offer closer to the sailing date. Just make sure your reservation indicates that you are willing to accept an upgrade.

Many knowledgeable people on this thread. What I would like to know is how are you going to deal with this situation in terms of booking your cruises? We usually book far out, 1-2 years but I would hesitate to do that now. Waiting until after final payment may not give us a cabin we would like. Any thoughts?

Many knowledgeable people on this thread. What I would like to know is how are you going to deal with this situation in terms of booking your cruises? We usually book far out, 1-2 years but I would hesitate to do that now. Waiting until after final payment may not give us a cabin we would like. Any thoughts?

These non-refundable deposits are part of the SNAP promo that ends in two days. I wouldn't panic. I would wait and see if these non-refundable deposits end when the SNAP promo ends.

I don't believe booking with a non-refundable deposit or a refundable deposit will have any impact on whether or not HAL offers you a complimentary upgrade or a paid upsell offer closer to the sailing date. Just make sure your reservation indicates that you are willing to accept an upgrade.

I did try for a paid upsell, no go.

You can do what I did. Call Hal. Get the fare that comes with a "REFUNDABLE" payment! Even after I put the cruise on hold I called back and said. I don't see where this deposit is refundable. The Rep. told me to ck the copy of the reservation on the second page it notes when the "cancellation fees begin" and for me it clearly states the date before final payment when the fees do begin.

For us the fare is a bit higher, but with it being refundable we feel better about looking at this cruise.

Actually, according to the PCC I talked to (who had a lot of high recommendations) and seems very knowledgeable, it does.

She said if I took the decreased price it was non refundable, no decreased fares, no upsells and no upgrades.

Apparently the terms of this sale. Now, whether that really happens is another thing, but that is what I was told.

Yes, just call.

Refundable cruises are still available. You just need to call since it is not readily available on the HAL website.

You can get the pricing easily and then decide. Like you, we book early with no intention of cancelling but I don't like non refundable at this stage of the game. for my hotel, maybe. For my airfare, sure.

But my cruise is a lot more than those ;)

Just call your TA, PCC/HAL for the pricing (I feel sorry for them all as they are probably getting a bunch of calls just to see the 'real' price ;)

Actually, according to the PCC I talked to (who had a lot of high recommendations) and seems very knowledgeable, it does.

She said if I took the decreased price it was non refundable, no decreased fares, no upsells and no upgrades.

Apparently the terms of this sale. Now, whether that really happens is another thing, but that is what I was told.

An agent we both know told me differently. I guess we will have to wait and see. The non-refundable vs refundable issue really only exists until final payment as far as I am concerned. After that, que sera sera ...

These non-refundable deposits are part of the SNAP promo that ends in two days. I wouldn't panic. I would wait and see if these non-refundable deposits end when the SNAP promo ends.

Agree - this may just be a short one time deal to fill the gap between the Ready Set Sail and Explore4 promotions. Lets just wait a couple of days and see.

On the cruise I am looking at, the Mariner deal I can get is lower in price and is fully refundable, as compared to the Snap fare, so a no brainer for me.

I think non-refundable deposits are going to effect HAL's future bookings.

As Australia's cruise deposits were always non refundable, I didn't book cruises a long time ahead, despite intending to cruise on a particular cruise. I have noticed the deposit amount increasing and we don't have cancel for any reason insurance. Cruises, which are usually the most expensive part of my overseas travels, are a perishable product. I find there are always other travel choices available, if, in the worst case scenario, the cruise is full.

Edited by MMDown Under

I think non-refundable deposits are going to effect HAL's future bookings.

And Royal Caribbean's and Carnival's and probably the whole industries' soon. I think it'll have the most effect when the next recession hits, dulling the impact of the recession on the cruise lines so they're not hit as badly as they were in 2008.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'd be interested to know if Holland America also changed its policy for European countries like UK, the Netherlands, Germany etc. The status quo so far was this: if you cancel, you'll lose the deposit. If you cancel and re-book, you can do so until final payment day but lose any promotion perks if the promo didn't run any more. Everything quite plain and understandable even if the possible loss of deposit hurts when compared with free booking possibilities in the US.

When we booked on board - and that was the most interesting part - we could cancel and/ or re-book without penalties except losing a possible promotion. As we're on the verge of booking cruises for 2019 because we are eager to book a specific cabin on a cruise that is supposed to sell well I still hesitate because . So many things can happen from now until a cruise due almost two years in the future. HAL's Cruise Protection planm is an option but quite expensive...

An agent we both know told me differently. I guess we will have to wait and see. The non-refundable vs refundable issue really only exists until final payment as far as I am concerned. After that, que sera sera ...

Unfortunately, however, on Grand Voyages there are interim payments. I don't know is HAL considers those also to be non-refundable. If so, I can't think but that reservations for those cruises have to be down.

My recent cruise to Norway had a non refundable deposit and I did receive an upsell offer.