Non Refundable Deposit is now the default pricing

Andi Land

Okay so that would mean getting on the priority line even when it is longer than the non-priority line makes sense, yes?

Depends upon the length of the lines. Very much like trying to pick the check out line at Walmart that will get through the fastest.

For check-in it doesn't really matter which line you use if you have "priority" (4 stars and up, Suites, handicapped).

You will be placed in the priority boarding area and that is what is important: no waiting behind everyone to board, the "priority" pax board first, then everyone else.

Insurance, by its very nature, will cost more over the long-term than self-insurance, i.e., not purchasing insurance and paying for the costs of losses from your own savings. The primary purpose of insurance is to address unexpected costs that most of us cannot withstand without it seriously adversely affecting our lives in the short-term.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm relaxed. I don't care for the self-promotion as an expert, especially the all-encompassing statements of "fact", and the "contact me if you want" remark is a solicitation by a self-proclaimed TA.

It's too bad they don't just share the information on how to ask for the deposit schedule/refund options they offer. That would better service the community. As it is; it is a self-promoting post but no way for the poster to take advantage of that promotion, so they haven't accomplished much positive for themselves or for others, hence the comment to relax, meaning to say don't worry about it because they can't get anything out of it. <shrug>

I can't even FIND the refundable deposit option on HAL's website.

So it appears that even if you take the HAL cancellation coverage and insurance you would STILL lose the deposit? Is that correct?
If you read my post earlier in the thread, the quote from my PCC states that you have to purchase the Trip Protection etc at time of booking, which leads me to believe that you would be covered for loss of your deposit. I assume if you had already purchased it, you'd still be covered. However, I would email or phone HAL and ask for an answer in writing either way. Edited by blizzardboy

It's too bad they don't just share the information on how to ask for the deposit schedule/refund options they offer. That would better service the community. As it is; it is a self-promoting post but no way for the poster to take advantage of that promotion, so they haven't accomplished much positive for themselves or for others, hence the comment to relax, meaning to say don't worry about it because they can't get anything out of it. <shrug>

I can't even FIND the refundable deposit option on HAL's website.

"Our Cancellation Protection Plan, if desired, may be purchased at time of deposit or prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. As cancellation fee accrual dates vary, please consult the applicable Holland America Line brochure or our website, for the date applicable to your cruise. Once the plan is purchased, fees related to the plan are non-refundable." In the case of Snap Fares, the cancellation fees accrue immediately.

Here's a link to the FAQ answer:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Money%20Matters&contentSubMenu=When%20Are%20My%20Deposits%20%26%20Payments%20Due#

"Our Cancellation Protection Plan, if desired, may be purchased at time of deposit or prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue. As cancellation fee accrual dates vary, please consult the applicable Holland America Line brochure or our website, for the date applicable to your cruise. Once the plan is purchased, fees related to the plan are non-refundable." In the case of Snap Fares, the cancellation fees accrue immediately.

Here's a link to the FAQ answer:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Money%20Matters&contentSubMenu=When%20Are%20My%20Deposits%20%26%20Payments%20Due#

Since the reduced deposit sale necessitates a non-refundable deposit you are in penalty phase the moment you book, so it would look like a cancellation would lose you the deposit and cost of insurance (that part is standard everywhere).

In that case, I don't see the benefit to purchasing HAL's coverage at time of booking (unless you need to take advantage of their clauses regarding pre-existing condition); may as well wait and just buy through a third party.

Taking out cancellation ins may get some of your money back but not all. In one of my last conversations with HAL we could have gone with this non-refundable price & and deposit but here it is. You book today. The deposit for both of us totaled $1750.00 and the ins was $550.00 for both of us. Now if tomorrow something happened and we couldn't go ( remember the cruise I wanted to book was almost 2 yrs away) I would get $1025.00 out of $2125.00 That is the original dep. of $1750 x 90% = $1575.00 - $550.00 = $1025.00. What I was also upset about was that when I first talked about the $1750 was not presented a non - refundable. It is only when I called back to make the dep and book the cruise that the rep reiterated that the dep. was non - refundable. What really angers me is two things. 1 the cruise is two years away and 2 even with the ins I only get back 90% less the cost of said ins. We may just wait until we go on a cruise in Jan and buy more FCC. Now if the FCC is no longer refundable if you use it for bookings I guess we will just wait until after final payment when it would no longer matter.

I "discovered" this new pricing scheme when trying to book a 2018 cruise last week. At first, I thought my new TA had the information wrong. She was right! The $1200 deposit and higher rate for the cruise made me uneasy. I was just about to book when I decided this was not what I considered fair to a loyal HAL customer so I didn't book and started searching for cruises on other lines. I guess when the other lines do the same I will look at HAL again, but for now, after my already booked January 2018 HAL cruise, I probably will not sail HAL again. (I never say never!)

Taking out cancellation ins may get some of your money back but not all. In one of my last conversations with HAL we could have gone with this non-refundable price & and deposit but here it is. You book today. The deposit for both of us totaled $1750.00 and the ins was $550.00 for both of us. Now if tomorrow something happened and we couldn't go ( remember the cruise I wanted to book was almost 2 yrs away) I would get $1025.00 out of $2125.00 That is the original dep. of $1750 x 90% = $1575.00 - $550.00 = $1025.00. What I was also upset about was that when I first talked about the $1750 was not presented a non - refundable. It is only when I called back to make the dep and book the cruise that the rep reiterated that the dep. was non - refundable. What really angers me is two things. 1 the cruise is two years away and 2 even with the ins I only get back 90% less the cost of said ins. We may just wait until we go on a cruise in Jan and buy more FCC. Now if the FCC is no longer refundable if you use it for bookings I guess we will just wait until after final payment when it would no longer matter.

I was told that I would lose the FCD if I booked non refundable fare, and of course, then not be able recoup applying the perks (OBC) to any other cruise,

I must say, that the non refundable fare is HIGHER for my 2018 cruise than I am paying right now for private mariner fare pricing (I received a mailing/email a few months ago).

For 2019 I completely eliminated the non refundable fare, AT THIS POINT. Too early, although probably the only reason i would cancel is for emergency reasons, in which case travel insurance would cover. Still, I like to be "in control" of the reservation for now. I have time to watch for price decreases, possible promos with OBC perks, etc...(or hopefully another private mariner sale price).

So it appears that even if you take the HAL cancellation coverage and insurance you would STILL lose the deposit? Is that correct?

Unless the CCP has been amended in the last week, it covers all non-refundable deposits. Having just made a substantial deposit on the Grand Asia, I, too, was concerned and checked it out. However, I also read that both the Standard and the Platinum provides that it can be purchased up to the time of final payment. However, one poster stated that it was now required to be purchased at the time of initial payment. I re-checked the CCP then but found no change.

I do think that the TA poster has a point about not purchasing travel insurance at the time of initial deposit if, particularly if you are unsure of being able to take the trip. You can always get med-evac insurance later and other travel insurance w/o the pre-existing waiver. We have chosen to wait until final payment and then buy the CCP plus a med-evac policy. Yes, we only get back 10 - 20% of the costs with the CCP, but at least we will know by the time of final payment that we should be able to make the trip. Otherwise, we will have wasted over $6,000 on insurance if we had booked at time of initial depost and then have to cancel.

I also agree with the posters who support self-insurance, but that is not practical in the case of long, Grand Voyages. That is a little more money than we are prepared to kiss off.

I am astounded that HAL is applying these non-refundable deposit to even the Grand Voyages, which require $5 - 7K deposits. It has to be slowing down the number of people willing to lose that amount of money that far in advance. But perhaps that is HAL's intent: Force reservations from only those who are really serious?

Just one more reason for using a TA.

Someone who knows the booking practices at HAL, at other lines, and is careful not to lead his/her clients down to the road of non refundable deposits when there is little or no benefit to the customer. A TA who looks out for the clients best interests.

Just one more reason for using a TA.

Someone who knows the booking practices at HAL, at other lines, and is careful not to lead his/her clients down to the road of non refundable deposits when there is little or no benefit to the customer. A TA who looks out for the clients best interests.

When I book on Carnival I never use Early Saver because I do not want to be subject to change/cancel fees. The upcharge to a refundable rate is usually very modest, under 10% difference. Any idea on the going differences between HAL's NRD and Refundable Deposits in terms of total cost?

Then again, I am looking at an early December cruise and final payment would be do in 2 months and I'd be out more than the deposit at that point anyways, same as before, so perhaps I'm not risking too much by booking with NRD now??

I was set to call this morning and book but have had to hit a hard pause and trying to do a lot of homework in a short time.

And for a cruise in June 2018 they are asking for full payment up front....so no option is even available for a partial/non refundable deposit.

Choose Your Payment Amount

Full Payment: US$ 2,243.00

Minimum Payment: Full payment is due at this time.

This is why you use a Travel Agent! You get the same price. Never Book with the Cruise Line Direct. I'm am agent and had 2 Clients that Booked Oct 28 2018. instead of a $1200 Deposit I was able to lower it to $400 and Re-Fundable. I offer them $100 less/pp but it would be Non-refundable and the Deposit would go to $600. They stayed with the higher price and lower Deposit.

So far out you never know what's going to happen. Ins cost you more than the amount you would lose. There are so many things the check, that's why you use an agent. Be careful on RCCL, they started Non-Refundable Fares also. Contact me if you want..

I book direct with the cruiseline...AND I just used my $200 Future Cruise Credit for that same cruise, got the lower pricing and have only $200 at risk. None the less I will buy my own insurance...haven't bought the ships offers in years.....

And for a cruise in June 2018 they are asking for full payment up front....so no option is even available for a partial/non refundable deposit.

Choose Your Payment Amount

Full Payment: US$ 2,243.00

Minimum Payment: Full payment is due at this time.

I saw that on Friday when attempting to make a reservation.....for 18months from now...there is a glitch in the system somewhere because when calling HAL direct that is NOT what happened....deposit is non refundable and that is all..

I saw that on Friday when attempting to make a reservation.....for 18months from now...there is a glitch in the system somewhere because when calling HAL direct that is NOT what happened....deposit is non refundable and that is all..

Thanks, was pricing now - before the anticipated Explore 4. Good to know!

I live in Spain. We have no choice. All our deposits are non-refundable.

Last month (June) we paid £1311 ($1700) deposit for our cruise in December.

We cannot cancel without losing this. We take out insurance to cover loss of deposit in case of emergencies.

It has always been a problem for us that US cruisers put deposits on several cabins/cruises. This blocks them for anyone else until final payment is due. This is very unfair.

We cannot cancel without losing this. We take out insurance to cover loss of deposit in case of emergencies.

It has always been a problem for us that US cruisers put deposits on several cabins/cruises. This blocks them for anyone else until final payment is due. This is very unfair.

I think we should all have an even playing field. I agree that it's unfair that you are forced to book with a non-refundable deposit. Everyone should have the opportunity to book a cruise and cabin of their choice, whether they book one or six, as long as we're all in the same boat (pun intended). I for one will not book with a non-refundable deposit until last minute.

I totally agree. There is someone on our roll call - a travel agent - who books multiple cruises for around the same time, then decides at the last minute which one she will go on. She sees nothing wrong in doing this. I have a feeling that it's because of people who do this that HAL may be bringing in non-refundable deposits.

Just to throw something else in the ring: Princess's current non-refundable deposits are $100pp (I was looking at a 15day Panama cruise). That is low enough to be something like including its own insurance: worth the loss in order to capture a much wanted (or needed) cabin in advance. Win-win -- they get some free money and we get to lock in a room.

I'm only sad that you have to go mini-suite or higher to have a sofa; HAL probably first captured my business for providing a sofa down to most insides (on the other ships). But it would be worth it to try once!