Silly Tourists!

lawgeek

Here's my contribution...and I swear on my children, it's true!

We were living in London and took a day trip to Stonehenge. While walking around (this was before it was fenced off and you could walk up to the stones)...a tourist who was obviously American said to her husband..."isn't it lucky that they built it so close to the road"....:D

My DIL,( who doesn't travel much), was on an Alaskan cruise last week and had to fly on the 4th. She said she would miss the fireworks at home but hoped that she would be able to see them in Vancouver.

We were in Horseguards parade in London when an American lady approached one of the guards on horseback & asked to borrow his sword for a photo.

Unable to converse as he was on duty, he resorted to firmly shaking his head several times as she continued to ask. Eventually she went far too close as if to take it & he said very loudly "stand away " She jumped out of her skin !

Prince Philip, was once lost for words (not a frequent occurrence) when some American VIP guests asked why they had built Windsor so close to Heathrow Airport.....True, honest!

Wonder if it was the same person I ran into at Stonehenge! BTW I'm lovin' this thread. It's so nice to see a thread that's just for fun !!!

A few years ago we were cruising the Kiel Canal in Germany .

Traveling through a wooded area I was on the balcony and could hear Cuckoo's calling all around.

I said to the American gentleman on the next balcony can you hear the Cuckoo that's a very rare sound at home these days.

He replied I thought that they were just in Clocks.

Not sure if he was kidding or not.

I was at Niagara Falls when a non-American gentleman asked me what they do at night. I explained about the colored lights used to illuminate the falls. He then asked "But do they just let the water run all night?

I was at Niagara Falls when a non-American gentleman asked me what they do at night. I explained about the colored lights used to illuminate the falls. He then asked "But do they just let the water run all night?

Funny that, I am sure I read of one of the big waterfalls that has its flow reduced at night by putting a lot of the flow through a hydroelectric plant up river. and then this water rejoins after the waterfall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses_Niagara_Power_Plant

It seems a substantial amount of water is rerouted at night

Prince Philip, was once lost for words (not a frequent occurrence) when some American VIP guests asked why they had built Windsor so close to Heathrow Airport.....True, honest!

I am starting to wonder if someone hands Americans landing at Heathrow a card with this phrase on it, based on the number of times that I've been told a similar story by different people who swear it's absolutely true, and that they were present. Prince Philip is not usually present in these stories. As often as I've heard this story, he would get nothing else done! :D

Funny that, I am sure I read of one of the big waterfalls that has its flow reduced at night by putting a lot of the flow through a hydroelectric plant up river. and then this water rejoins after the waterfall

Actually, they strictly control the overall water flow over the Falls. There is one gentleman in charge of working with the Canadians and the US to determine the needed water flow for powering the industrial complexes (NatGeo or someone had a TV special on that; I caught a bit of it). There is much less waterflow over the falls in late fall through the winter--they ramp it up for tourist season! We visited Niagara Falls recently and were really interested to learn about their use of the water through the hydroelectric plant. Downriver, there appears to be some heavy duty transfer stations, too. I believe Niagara Falls has the largest amount of water over a falls in the world....I couldn't remember the exact quote, so here are a couple facts from their website:

• Niagara Falls is capable of producing over 4 million kilowatts of electricity, which is shared by the United States and Canada.
  • Four of the five Great Lakes drain into the Niagara River, (Superior, Michigan, Huron and Erie) before emptying into Lake Ontario. These five Great Lakes make up almost one-fifth of the world's fresh water supply.

All I know is that it was amazing to see! Love this thread, too.

I have to hold my hands up here ! Leaving a restaurant on the coast,

having consumed a fair amount of wine ( in my defence !! ) I remarked to my husband about that someone must be opening & closing their curtains or something. He groaned ( not for the first time !! ) & polnted out that it was the lighthouse on the other side of the bay !!! AND I am not even a tourist, I live here by the coast ( there really is no hope !! )

Many times when I have been in Manhattan , on finding out I am English New Yorkers ask me if I know their cousin/nephew/ex neighbour/friend etc etc who lives in England and they find it strange when I giggle 😄

Nevertheless, it can be a small world. In the 1970s, the reigning Canadian rally champions for several successive years, were in the UK to observe an event when an English motorsports enthusiast with whom they were chatting on one of the stages, upon learning they were from Canada, stated that he knew someone in Canada. He then asked them if they knew "Fouremco". Well, it just so happened that they did know me, as I too was very active on the rallying scene in those days. The Brit had been a childhood playmate whom I'd not seen then in over twenty-five years, but our mothers had kept in touch over the years and we had remained somewhat aware of one another.

Many times when I have been in Manhattan , on finding out I am English New Yorkers ask me if I know their cousin/nephew/ex neighbour/friend etc etc who lives in England and they find it strange when I giggle 😄

Love this one!! We live on Long Island and no matter where we go someone invariably asks "...do you know so and so?" We always smile and say "we have over 3 million people living in Nassau and Suffolk Counties so probably not".