Happy 4th! Here, Have a Worse Promotion

Alegeeter

Prior to Independence Day NCL was offering a promotion giving OBC to all categories of rooms. Beginning July 4 and for the next 2 weeks, they had a "Freedom Sale" (yay America), offering the same OBC but only for balconies and above. What do I wake up to this morning? The same promotion they had prior, OBC for all categories (this time called a "Super Splash Sale").

Give us something new and exciting, please!

NCL: Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Someone is going to find something to complain about no matter what deal they get. It will change again and again (obviously). If you don't see an offer you like just wait and see what comes up in the future.

(y)

No, you're right, absolutely.

It's more how they try to trick you about how great a deal you're getting when they send you an email that bothers me. I know it's the business and you need to catch people's attention, but it sure irks me! It's no worse than an airline starting to charge for baggage, claiming "it's for your convenience because now if you don't check a bag you're not paying for a fare that includes one" as if their base prices are somehow going to be lower.

It's more how they try to trick you about how great a deal you're getting when they send you an email that bothers me. I know it's the business and you need to catch people's attention, but it sure irks me! It's no worse than an airline starting to charge for baggage, claiming "it's for your convenience because now if you don't check a bag you're not paying for a fare that includes one" as if their base prices are somehow going to be lower.

Sure it might seem deceptive to some extent, but you always have the option of not booking. You are entering into a voluntary contract. And honestly would the $25-$60 of OBC really make or break your cruise?

There is a certain AI resort throughout all of the Caribbean that has been running the same 60-65% off sale for at lease the last 12 years. When I first saw it I thought it would be a great deal and then I looked at the price and realized that it was still out of my price range. What did I do? I did not book it. A few months later I saw they were still running the same "sale" and then again a few months later. I now know not to even look at that as it does not change. I look at the other offers they have with it, but even that does not impact my decision. What does is the final price I end up paying. If I like it and think it is worth my money I will book.

If it bothers you that much just opt out of their emails.

If you don't like it sail a different cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just because you don't feel it is a great deal, doesn't mean others wouldn't feel differently and like the deal. The good thing is that there will always be other deals and hopefully there will be one that fits what you are looking for.

If you don't like it sail a different cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe you missed my point. I love NCL and their banal promotions aren't going to keep me away, but they also won't get me to book faster. A couple years ago, each month they would have something different/interesting, whether it was the 10% OBC, or when Free at Sea first became a thing, etc. Those things got my attention more and got me to look at sailings more. Now, it's the same or very similar thing with a different name attached to it every month. I'm sure it's not affecting their business overall because they wouldn't be continuing with it but I am merely expressing an opinion that I would like to see something a little different like we used to.

Just because you don't feel it is a great deal, doesn't mean others wouldn't feel differently and like the deal. The good thing is that there will always be other deals and hopefully there will be one that fits what you are looking for.

It's not that. It could be a great deal for many. I'll take OBC any day. It's that they send the same thing as if it's a different deal just because they put a different name on it.

I agree with you OP. The lack of variety in their promotions since they've gone with the UBP, SDP forever has been less than appealing and makes me delete their emails without looking at them. If they were to say UBP was ending then I might pay more attention but we know that's not going to happen. When they used to threaten to do it, the sale would be "extended." Now they've given up and said it's always around but sometimes we will throw in a second one for the steerage... I mean interior and solos. I do tend to notice those more (as I book solo cabins).

I get virtually the same emails everyday from RCCL/Celebrity/HAL/ MSC/Princess. All of them showing some super duper sale, which when you look at numbers turns out to be no sale at all. I guess they are hoping to attract the new cruiser or less discerning shopper. Obviously it works for them since they all do it. It is a bit tedious to the person receiving them, but.... you can always unsubscribe.

It's not that. It could be a great deal for many. I'll take OBC any day. It's that they send the same thing as if it's a different deal just because they put a different name on it.
If something works, why should they change it? What promotion would make you happy?

Macy's just pulled the same thing. They had a huge Black Friday in July sale. The purse I'd been eyeing for a month had a sale price that was higher than the previous sale price the day before the new sale started! I guess if you've ever shopped for anything in your life, you'd probably know that this is nothing new. I'm certainly never surprised when prices change up and down. I am, however, continuously surprised that there are adults who seem unfamiliar with that.

you also have to check your math.

when they run the "free OBC" usually teh cruise fare is an equivalent amoutn of dollars higher than when they arent running it. for me, id rather have a lower cruise fare as we spend very little on board now that we get the booze package included and our platinum dinners. we find teh deals are better without the free OBC.

Macy's just pulled the same thing.

I was thinking of Macy's. Also JCPenney. They switched things up a couple years back by dropping prices and not having sales. The prices were phenomenal. People complained cause there were no "deals". So they raised prices back up and have sales now to satisfy their customers.

What is everyone going to do when NCL, and other lines stop these "promotions"? None of them are free as is evidenced by the increased fares. I have yet to see a promotion that is really worth while. I much prefer the fares that not that long ago were $300 or so cheaper per week.