Remember When Celebrity Was the BEST Cruise Line?

curtdesilets

We've been on the QM2 (before and after refurbishment) and are trying Celebrity for the first time. I'm hoping Celebrity is not a step down.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Apples and oranges. The QM2 is so British and NOT mainstream like many of the others.

IMHO Celebrity still is the BEST cruise line -- among the ones that you would have been comparing back in the day [Cunard wasn't a cruise line then, and when they started they were not well suited to it]. But that only applies if you book a Suite on Celebrity [any suite, even the lowliest S3 Sky Suite on the new Edge class]. Luminae, Michael's, a butler and dedicated concierge, priority everything, the BEST package included in your fare -- it adds up to a far better experience than classic Celebrity [or even Chandris if you go back that far]. And the price is comparable to Azamara and Oceania and [in my limited experience] less expensive than Viking Ocean.

Celebrity in its early heyday back in the day was only a few brand new ships that offered stunning service and fresh interiors.

The competition and departure took over with S Class, the MClass was short lived to those who dislike S Class, which was stunning at introduction and which people complained about to the nth degree due to the 'modern' interiors, small and disfunctional dinng room chairs, along with the lack of suitable placement to hold their bedside needs along with the inclusion of specialty, pay for, dining venues.

But the addional venues were relative and were needed to keep the boredom to a minimum for those who were not homebodies and liked to get out to eat. It was a huge shake up that started the revolt between closed and open minded guests.

IMHO, Celebrity can't compete with other lines that offer alternate dining venues that guests enjoy while again, IMHO a certain crowd finds that idea to be a money grab that ruined the line. So its a conundrum that is frought with guest economics who do not wish to pay for more than cruise fare....coupled with the 'dumbing' down of the dress code that creates strife for those who WANT to have everyone remember tradition.

I for one am sick of this 'fight'.

For dining options, even the S Class ships are outdated at this point IMHO with its maybe four 4 specialty venues which over time are lackluster and repetitive and offend those who do not want to pay and become limited to those who want dining options and enjoy change and excitement.

Those of before compared the addition of dining options/pay for dining options with the size of the megaships that were hot in the industry and on the seas...those horrid megaships.

As though the larger ships lended their added dining options solely to their size.

Yet with Edge, the alternate dining options exist within a similar sized footprint of an S Class ship that may end up being an even smaller guest capacity ship than S Class.

Celebrity might be reinventing itself with Edge. I'm optimistic about it and will see. If it's what I have imagined it to be as it is being built and its personailty is being disclosed and is coming into fruition, it might be a very nice opportunity for myself and my husband to enjoy the refreshed and renewed Celebrity experience.

Edited by MizDemeanor

And now they give you a wad of on board credit to buy it with!!!

They do not "give" you OBC. You pay for it.

On one cruise I have the cost of the cabin with one amenity is $300/person ($600 total for two) more than the cost with no amenities. I can pick $150/person OBC ($300 total) as my amenity.

What a deal! Pay $600 more for $300 worth of OBC.

And some think that means Celebrity is giving me a "wad of on board credit."

On one cruise I have the cost of the cabin with one amenity is $300/person ($600 total for two) more than the cost with no amenities. I can pick $150/person OBC ($300 total) as my amenity.

Where's the LIKE Button?!?!

That's the point. Your payment for the cruise is just apportioned differently. Some if it is delegated to OBC which you can spend as you prefer. So you shouldn't complain that there is a charge for something as you have already pre-paid and just need to deduct it from your OBC, And exactly where do you get get your pay $2 for $1 of OBC statistic? What's your math on that one?

If you think you are being cheated or there is no value for the cost....then buy elsewhere.

That's the point. Your payment for the cruise is just apportioned differently. Some if it is delegated to OBC which you can spend as you prefer. So you shouldn't complain that there is a charge for something as you have already pre-paid and just need to deduct it from your OBC, And exactly where do you get get your pay $2 for $1 of OBC statistic? What's your math on that one?

If you think you are being cheated or there is no value for the cost....then buy elsewhere.

Do you know anything about the COGs? You give Celebrity REAL cash and they give you OBC. However with their food cost usually about 20%, they get to keep the other 80% as gross profit. Say you give them $300 while they generously give you $300 OBN to spend. They just made $240 and forced you to use it or lose it.

No I don't and if it was it is news to me. I guess there is always some poll or niche that every cruise line would be considered #1 or in the top 5 especially if there were only 5 participants. 🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Do you know anything about the COGs? You give Celebrity REAL cash and they give you OBC. However with their food cost usually about 20%, they get to keep the other 80% as gross profit. Say you give them $300 while they generously give you $300 OBN to spend. They just made $240 and forced you to use it or lose it.
I's a little confused. Are you saying that for every $1 we pay Celebrity in fares and onboard spending, they are making 80% profit off it?

You missed my point. You accept this when you book a cruise. Now you have this OBC. You may as well spend it on the options available to you. If you don't want a burger, then don't buy one. If you do, you have OBC to spend it on.

You know whats a shame? (Just a general comment)...the way so many people arent happy unless they are miserable. They go on a cruise vacation and then whine and moan about how the standards have fallen, they get less than that used to, blah, blah, blah. A vacation is what you make of it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I's a little confused. Are you saying that for every $1 we pay Celebrity in fares and onboard spending, they are making 80% profit off it?

No. I'm only talking about the forced purchase of OBC by raising the fare for the perk. Since the cruise overhead is fixed whether you eat that gourmet burger or you just walk by, the only difference in Celebrity's additional cost is the cost of the food. If the food cost is 20%, then every OBC $1 you spend is really only costing Celebrity 20 cents. Even if the food cost is 30%, which is high for burgers, that's still $3 food cost for the $10 you spent. And that is why they want you to think you're getting a deal back when you get the OBC. It's forcing you to buy something.

The attitude of "I'm using free OBN to eat the burger" means your using your REAL dollars spent to purchase the OBC. The question is, would you buy the burger if you had to shell out real money without any OBC? If so then that's a valid opinion/purchase.

No. I'm only talking about the forced purchase of OBC by raising the fare for the perk. Since the cruise overhead is fixed whether you eat that gourmet burger or you just walk by, the only difference in Celebrity's additional cost is the cost of the food. If the food cost is 20%, then every OBC $1 you spend is really only costing Celebrity 20 cents. Even if the food cost is 30%, which is high for burgers, that's still $3 food cost for the $10 you spent. And that is why they want you to think you're getting a deal back when you get the OBC. It's forcing you to buy something.

The attitude of "I'm using free OBN to eat the burger" means your using your REAL dollars spent to purchase the OBC. The question is, would you buy the burger if you had to shell out real money without any OBC? If so then that's a valid opinion/purchase.

Thanks, not confused any longer as to what you were saying.

You know whats a shame? (Just a general comment)...the way so many people arent happy unless they are miserable. They go on a cruise vacation and then whine and moan about how the standards have fallen, they get less than that used to, blah, blah, blah. A vacation is what you make of it!

jimock,

A lot of wisdom in your post. I understand why a vacation can be degraded by a serious problem like overflowing sewage in a bathroom or an airline bumping you so you miss a cruise, etc.

No vacation will be perfect. If it take a minute longer for a bartender to fill by drink order, no big deal. On two occasions at the MDR on nine Celebrity cruises I received an entry that was unacceptable because of one thing or another. To some a meal in the MDR was inedible. WOW, even starving kids wouldn't eat it! It was not a problem, I asked for another dish and the replacement was great. That wasn't even a speed bump on my vacation.

I don't have a problem with people complaining here on cc, that is information that I want to know for future planning. Complaining to the cruise line, yes, but don't let it ruin an otherwise great trip.

Life is too short for the small stuff.

Would really like to try Azamara. They're definitely on our bucket list.

Right now Celebrity seems to be the perfect fit for us. Really like the Sky Suites.

I tend to agree with you on the Sky Suites. My DH and I love the S1 corner afts!

I would also like to try Azamara, but only after my Edge cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The problem is that not everyone has the same outlook as it seems that you and I have. I have read some pretty horrible reviews of ships that I am about to embark on that I found to be wonderful; one was a RCCL cruise from Venice last year on Splendour that I found to be fantastic. I think that any information from here, used for planning ones own vacation has to be taken with a good dosage of salt and skepticism.

No It was never my best cruise line

IMO Holland America was far better ...the agents in FLA were very rude on more than one occasion .....plus some people on Celebrity were hotty snotty without reason

I prefer friendlier agents and guests ...just sayin

The problem is that not everyone has the same outlook as it seems that you and I have. I have read some pretty horrible reviews of ships that I am about to embark on that I found to be wonderful; one was a RCCL cruise from Venice last year on Splendour that I found to be fantastic. I think that any information from here, used for planning ones own vacation has to be taken with a good dosage of salt and skepticism.

You are going to believe what you want to believe no matter what anyone says. Just because you didn't have a similar experience doesn't mean it didn't happen. Lately people have paying top dollar for cruising and they have expectations based on that. My expectations are based on the product that Celebrity provided to get me hooked 13 years ago. I expected the price to go up to maintain that standard. I did not expect the price to go up and the product be diminished, so I have no problem letting it be known, on the ship and otherwise. If you don't agree, that's fine, but that's not going to stop me from continuing to voice MY opinion. I would hope that other people won't be intimidated or bullied into not voice their opinion if it's one that's in the minority.

Remember when their tag line was "let us exceed your expectations". :rolleyes:

On another cruise line post-cruise survey one of the questions was "Did this cruise exceed your expectations?"

I had high expectations and the cruise provided what I expected. Thus my answer to the question was "No, it did not exceed my expectations" since it did meet them.

And exactly where do you get get your pay $2 for $1 of OBC statistic? What's your math on that one?

Math: For a 12 day cruise later this year on a day I recently looked at pricing

cruise cost/person without any amenity was xxx.

cruise cost/person with one amenity (Go Big) was xxx + $300

And one of the choices for an amenity was $150 OBC per person

Obviously a "deal" I passed up.

On another cruise line post-cruise survey one of the questions was "Did this cruise exceed your expectations?"

I had high expectations and the cruise provided what I expected. Thus my answer to the question was "No, it did not exceed my expectations" since it did meet them.

Brilliant! Like!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are going to believe what you want to believe no matter what anyone says. Just because you didn't have a similar experience doesn't mean it didn't happen. Lately people have paying top dollar for cruising and they have expectations based on that. My expectations are based on the product that Celebrity provided to get me hooked 13 years ago. I expected the price to go up to maintain that standard. I did not expect the price to go up and the product be diminished, so I have no problem letting it be known, on the ship and otherwise. If you don't agree, that's fine, but that's not going to stop me from continuing to voice MY opinion. I would hope that other people won't be intimidated or bullied into not voice their opinion if it's one that's in the minority.

Very fair assessment.

Many apologists like to argue that all these changes are fine, since "Celebrity is a business" as though that trumps everything. Prices rise to suit increased profits of the business; however degrading the product at the same time is a degradation of what they are selling. Unless they can change their customer base as well to find one that suits the lower product - and at the same time ditch their false tagline that is currently used - then it's only a way to degrade the business.