Remember When Celebrity Was the BEST Cruise Line?

curtdesilets

Viking is an amazing story. They decided to move into the cruise ship industry and keep much of their philosophy from the long standing River Boat Division. There new ships have topped just about everyones rating system. For us, we have so far avoided their cruise line because we still prefer to do our own thing in ports...and with Viking you are paying for excursions within the cruise cost. But the reviews have been so darn good that we have lately been rethinking this issue.

What is amazing is how a new cruise line...has managed to get just about everything right..... while many of the most experienced cruise lines keep working at degrading their product. Color me "puzzled."

Hank

We took our first Viking cruise recently and it was fabulous. It's normally more expensive than Celebrity but we got a great deal. No nickel and diming, included Internet and speciality restaurants. The ship was stunningly beautiful and the crew were exceptional. Possibly they need to rethink their entertainment offerings but that's all.

Can't currently think of a reason to return to Celebrity because of all the cutbacks which is a pity because have enjoyed some great cruises particularly on Equinox. But my cruising future lies with Viking and Azamara.

We've been on the QM2 (before and after refurbishment) and are trying Celebrity for the first time. I'm hoping Celebrity is not a step down.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We cruised in the QM2 last October and have many cruises on Celebrity.

Traveling on the QM2 is an event, on Celebrity it is just aanother cruise. You will find no Ballroom on Celebrity, and folks no longer dress for dinner. There are no formal dinners and folks on Celebrity will take that to the extreme. Example, short sleeved polo shirt at the Captains table. Depending on your stateroom (if not PG or QG), the food on Celebrity may be better. Your stateroom on the QM2 was larger than the equivalent on Celebrity. There are no self service laundries or irons on Celebrity. Celebrity has a great coffee shop with free pastry but extra charge coffee/tea. I found the prices for drinks to be less expensive on the QM2. You won't find a serious theatre on Celebrity or an English Pub. Celebrity has a Martini Bar, not a Champagne Bar. Many passenger on Celebrity have a drink package so the bars are well attended. On the QM2 we often found ourselves alone in a bar. On Celebrity frequent passengers are treated to evening cocktail parties or extra drinks. On Cunard there was one party with the Officers. Room attendants are great on both. You can dine anytime on Celebrity if you select that option. Celebrity ships are not traditional and very modern in decor. You will enjoy Celebrity but expect a different experience.

We switched to Celebrity a couple of years ago and love the suite experience and also have many future weeks booked thru 2018. Wonderful service, good "wow" factor, food and entertainment to our tastes....we are happy. Liked meeting the international mix of passengers who were on our trips this past year. Have not tried Azamara, but did not feel at home or on vacation on Oceania! We like Hal and Princess too, but our preference is Celebrity now. We also alternate with river cruising and occasionally staying home! No matter the rankings, it's still a very personal decision!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You guys are scaring me. Going on X Eclipse in November, first time ever on X. We are 3 star Mariners on HAL and platinum on Princess. We switched because the product on both afore mentioned lines continued to decline to the point that the value proposition just wasn't there any more.

Research suggested that X would take us back to the promised land. Having spent some time on this board the last couple of weeks the comments about cutbacks, crew reductions, nickel and dime practices, no robes or foot stools in standard balconies, and charging $10 for a burger at the outdoor grill are causing us to rethink the quality of our initial research.

I thought the website issues were quirky and user error, until I was not the only one "locked out" for 20 minutes for changing pages. Last comment, the pricing model with/without perks needs an MIT spreadsheet to determine what we get and do we go on a 2 week bender and remain intoxicated for 14 days or never get a drink because the bars are overrun with passengers on a "drink package".

Some tongue in cheek comments above, but we have lowered our expectations and will roll with the tide.

Edited by E-500

Traveling on the QM2 is an event, on Celebrity it is just aanother cruise. You will find no Ballroom on Celebrity, and folks no longer dress for dinner. There are no formal dinners and folks on Celebrity will take that to the extreme. Example, short sleeved polo shirt at the Captains table. Depending on your stateroom (if not PG or QG), the food on Celebrity may be better. Your stateroom on the QM2 was larger than the equivalent on Celebrity. There are no self service laundries or irons on Celebrity. Celebrity has a great coffee shop with free pastry but extra charge coffee/tea. I found the prices for drinks to be less expensive on the QM2. You won't find a serious theatre on Celebrity or an English Pub. Celebrity has a Martini Bar, not a Champagne Bar. Many passenger on Celebrity have a drink package so the bars are well attended. On the QM2 we often found ourselves alone in a bar. On Celebrity frequent passengers are treated to evening cocktail parties or extra drinks. On Cunard there was one party with the Officers. Room attendants are great on both. You can dine anytime on Celebrity if you select that option. Celebrity ships are not traditional and very modern in decor. You will enjoy Celebrity but expect a different experience.

Thank you for the comparison!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We still like quality food and great service and prefer not to stand in line on our vacations. That's why we've enjoyed smaller ships on Regent, Azamara and Oceania. As far as mass market lines go, Celebrity is our preferred choice, but we've noticed their product has gone down over the years. Our decisions are made by both itinerary and price and the higher end cruise lines have really increased them dramatically.

I'm a foodie and I've been thinking about trying Azamara and Oceania. I also like to have some decent entertainment as well. Out of the 3 lines that you mentioned, how would you rate them?

VERY interesting. People who sale Celebrity bemoan the "old days" when the experience was so much "classier" and "luxurious" and some mistakenly feel less expensive. Yet these are often the very same people who praise the relaxed dress code, less formal atmosphere, and more kids. You simply can not have both.

Whatever Celebrity is doing they are doing it right, best quarter and year ever in its financials and stock price for RCCL at all time high

Trading off bookings made 1-2 years ago - when their sentiment and impression was more favourable.

In the Mega category - 2200 passengers and up - Celebrity is in the top 4 with Viking, Disney, Princess...

That would be interesting if true [interesting in the sense that these polls have zero credibility] since Viking Ocean ships only hold 930 passengers :)

We cruised in the QM2 last October and have many cruises on Celebrity. Traveling on the QM2 is an event, on Celebrity it is just aanother cruise. You will find no Ballroom on Celebrity, and folks no longer dress for dinner. There are no formal dinners and folks on Celebrity will take that to the extreme. Example, short sleeved polo shirt at the Captains table. Depending on your stateroom (if not PG or QG), the food on Celebrity may be better. Your stateroom on the QM2 was larger than the equivalent on Celebrity. There are no self service laundries or irons on Celebrity. Celebrity has a great coffee shop with free pastry but extra charge coffee/tea. I found the prices for drinks to be less expensive on the QM2. You won't find a serious theatre on Celebrity or an English Pub. Celebrity has a Martini Bar, not a Champagne Bar. Many passenger on Celebrity have a drink package so the bars are well attended. On the QM2 we often found ourselves alone in a bar. On Celebrity frequent passengers are treated to evening cocktail parties or extra drinks. On Cunard there was one party with the Officers. Room attendants are great on both. You can dine anytime on Celebrity if you select that option. Celebrity ships are not traditional and very modern in decor. You will enjoy Celebrity but expect a different experience.

The strict Formal Dress code is why we have not and will not sail on Cunard. Most of the luxury lines are now casual chic like Celebrity [Azamara, Oceania; even Crystal and Regent now call it 'formal optional']

IMHO Celebrity still is the BEST cruise line -- among the ones that you would have been comparing back in the day [Cunard wasn't a cruise line then, and when they started they were not well suited to it]. But that only applies if you book a Suite on Celebrity [any suite, even the lowliest S3 Sky Suite on the new Edge class]. Luminae, Michael's, a butler and dedicated concierge, priority everything, the BEST package included in your fare -- it adds up to a far better experience than classic Celebrity [or even Chandris if you go back that far]. And the price is comparable to Azamara and Oceania and [in my limited experience] less expensive than Viking Ocean.

Would really like to try Azamara. They're definitely on our bucket list.

Right now Celebrity seems to be the perfect fit for us. Really like the Sky Suites.

We also really like the Sky Suites. We have cruised on Azamara once and it was ok. The ship was just to small for us. To each their own. We were going to book Azamara cruise because they dock closer to downtown Bangkok. In the end we decided to cruise with Celebrity and book a hotel for the overnight stay in Bangkok.

VERY interesting. People who sale Celebrity bemoan the "old days" when the experience was so much "classier" and "luxurious" and some mistakenly feel less expensive. Yet these are often the very same people who praise the relaxed dress code, less formal atmosphere, and more kids. You simply can not have both.

I don't want both. I bemoan the old days and I don't praise the relaxed dress code or the less formal atmosphere. Kids, I don't care one way or the other. And I am voting with my wallet, it's staying in my pocket.

Whatever Celebrity is doing they are doing it right, best quarter and year ever in its financials and stock price for RCCL at all time high

I am not a Celebruty / RCCL shareholder. As a customer looking for absolutely the best possible cruise experience for my money rising stock prices, best financials etc probably means that the deal isn't as good as it used to be for me, so maybe not in my interest.

I'd much rather have the £ in my pocket than in Celebrity's or a shareholders.

You guys are scaring me. Going on X Eclipse in November, first time ever on X. We are 3 star Mariners on HAL and platinum on Princess. We switched because the product on both afore mentioned lines continued to decline to the point that the value proposition just wasn't there any more.

Research suggested that X would take us back to the promised land. Having spent some time on this board the last couple of weeks the comments about cutbacks, crew reductions, nickel and dime practices, no robes or foot stools in standard balconies, and charging $10 for a burger at the outdoor grill are causing us to rethink the quality of our initial research.

I thought the website issues were quirky and user error, until I was not the only one "locked out" for 20 minutes for changing pages. Last comment, the pricing model with/without perks needs an MIT spreadsheet to determine what we get and do we go on a 2 week bender and remain intoxicated for 14 days or never get a drink because the bars are overrun with passengers on a "drink package".

Some tongue in cheek comments above, but we have lowered our expectations and will roll with the tide.

I wouldn't be worried- we still really enjoy Celebrity, and your "roll with the tide" comment hits the nail on the head. I'm sure you will have a lovely time- and trying a different class of ship will be worthwhile in itself I'm sure. Look forward to your review! Keep us in the loop! Cheers!

I am not a Celebruty / RCCL shareholder. As a customer looking for absolutely the best possible cruise experience for my money rising stock prices, best financials etc probably means that the deal isn't as good as it used to be for me, so maybe not in my interest.

I'd much rather have the £ in my pocket than in Celebrity's or a shareholders.

Maybe their best financials are partly due to all the shareholder benefit denials to Celebrity cruisers. HA!

I wouldn't be worried- we still really enjoy Celebrity, and your "roll with the tide" comment hits the nail on the head. I'm sure you will have a lovely time- and trying a different class of ship will be worthwhile in itself I'm sure. Look forward to your review! Keep us in the loop! Cheers!

You Kiwis never cease to amaze me. Always a great attitude, and quality advice. Will post a review as suggested once I return and sober up. New experiences are to be looked forward to, not approached with trepidation. Thanks for your encouragement.

We recently cruised Oceania and Crystal. Without a doubt, the food on both of those lines are top notch. But in retrospect, the enrichment and activities and entertainment may be better on a mainstream line. I do wish Celebrity would bring back the String Quartet, just to class it up a little bit!

I am one of those that cruised Celebrity in the "ole days", and don't particularly like the relaxed atmosphere now.

There was a Champagne and Caviar Bar. It was probably eliminated due to lack of passenger use.

Throughout the past years, I've seen many changes. Some are tried and ultimately eliminated, and some are redesigned and introduced again.

I don't moan about it...just adapt and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You Kiwis never cease to amaze me. Always a great attitude, and quality advice. Will post a review as suggested once I return and sober up. New experiences are to be looked forward to, not approached with trepidation. Thanks for your encouragement.

Thank you :-) Yes, there have been some changes but we still love Celebrity and the crew, and the ships are still beautiful. And yes, sometimes things don't go perfectly but we try not to let it define our trip.

We were sad at the loss of Molecular Bar- but on our last trip we struck up great banter with the barman at the World Class Bar that replaced it- and I think he was glad to meet some people who were prepared to give the new bar concept a fair try! He was - on the other hand- quite tired of hearing people giving him a hard time that the Molecular Bar had gone...

I'm sure you will have a wonderful holiday!

Going on Viking in November, will be sure to post my comparison.

Great, please do!! Will be on Viking Sea 1/6/18 for their 11 day West Indies itinerary. Even though I'm paying through the nose as a solo cruiser, I have some idea what to expect after having done the 15 day Grand European Tour on the Viking Bragi Riverboat that was extraordinary. :)

First Cruise was on Celebrity Equinox to the Med in 2012. The food was very good, staff friendly and the cabin was in excellent shape. Fast forward 2016, 2nd cruise to the Med on the Equinox. Dinner menu remained unchanged in four years. Ship was showing wear and tear and sadly staff did not appear to exhibit the same warmth and enthusiasm. Still willing to give Celebrity another chance, my husband and I decided to book a cruise to the Caribbean for iNov 2017. Customer service rep was very pleasant. However, the issues with the website were never ending. Those issues coupled with experience last year caused us to re-evaluate our plans. We canceled and booked a similar itinerary with Viking Ocean. Celebrity has a good product. The company has the potential to become even better. Strongly suggest that they actually read comments good and bad on cruise critic as well as all other calls and letters submitted by their guests. Remember hearing " Welcome home" after an excursion. It is our hope that Celebrity does an internal repositioning. So those long lost passengers will, in fact, feel welcomed when they return.

The S-Class ships are better ships at this point than the now rather dated M-class, but QM2 was never considered all that great. They must have turned a corner. It now seems unfortunately that the S-classes are getting a bit boring. Celebrity needs something. Perhaps Edge will be that something.

I think that's right.