Pub lunch

blbailey

What's up with the mashed peas. :confused:

Is it a big custom in the UK.

I don't see the attraction except that they might be easier to get on the fork.

Actually, they're mushed. [emoji16] I love mushy peas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is possible to get a point across without being rude.

I don't see how the poster that mentioned that was rude. You must be reading it some slant. It harkens me back to my academic days when we learned about attitudinal perception. People see the same event but see it different because of their attitude.

Always enjoyed pub lunch, usually going for ploughmans. Would say the fish and chips not as good as proper English fish and chips but hey we on an American ship! It's a nice alternative..and free...on a sea day and yes try it once, me I prefer to eat in MDR whenever We can.

That was quite unnecessary.

I am glad you posted it - One of the reasons I wanted to try a Princess instead of HOlland was because of the Pub Lunch. I guess I will stick with HAL or Carnival

My goodness, someone rattled your cage!

For your information, food is not lousy in England, some food is lousy I agree, but there are some wonderful restaurants if you do your homework and at least you don't have to eat burgers, pizza, macn'cheese, (what's that all about? Reminds us of bad school dinners!) or hot dogs plus fries fries fries day in day out. Many pubs here in the UK have raised the bar with their food offerings, and many cook with locally sourced ingredients, and fresh vegetables - not just the broccoli that many American restaurants seem only able to cook.

In fact, on board ship, we always order extra steamed vegetables to accompany our entree, but we appear to be in the minority.

There is a lot of lousy food in America, but it's wrong to say all food there is lousy. Just as its wrong to say food in the UK is lousy.

I would add that we did not enjoy the pub lunch on Princess and have only tried it once. We thought the fish was really poor and had too much greasy batter. But then we are not lovers of fish and chips when at home, unless it is from a really good source, and includes thrice fried chips (fries) not the usual frozen thin chips provided across the USA and onboard ship.

But for those who do enjoy the pub lunch I'm pleased you do like it.

Off the topic - just briefly - what is the best area of London for a hotel stay for a 10 day land vacation?

They're just mushed down. Correct?

Do they do anything special to them?

Depends, usually with butter, salt and pepper, and a little milk, but some put a little sugar or mint or lemon juice in theirs. They are made from a specific type of pea.

I'm sure everyone has their own way of making them.

So what, they are just giving their opinion. Maybe their experience in England was just as bad as the ship's I have heard a lot of people complain about the food in England. We had the pub lunch one and I will not go back again. Just not my tasted and I like fish and chips. The fish was soggy and I can get better French Fries anywhere.

The first time we had the pub lunch was 4 years ago and the fish pieces were thick and the breading was crispy. We liked it. The next time we had it was six or seven months later and the fish pieces were much smaller and the breading was more like a tempura batter and was thick, mushy and pretty greasy. Its been the same every time we go since then. We don't make a big effort to go anymore.

Depends, usually with butter, salt and pepper, and a little milk, but some put a little sugar or mint or lemon juice in theirs. They are made from a specific type of pea.

Proper mushy peas are made from marrowfat peas. My mother would cook them with some mint and lemon juice and boil them till they just started to fall apart and get mushy.

Proper mushy peas are made from marrowfat peas. My mother would cook them with some mint and lemon juice and boil them till they just started to fall apart and get mushy.

Thanks. I couldn't remember the type of pea.

Always enjoyed pub lunch, usually going for ploughmans. Would say the fish and chips not as good as proper English fish and chips but hey we on an American ship! It's a nice alternative..and free...on a sea day and yes try it once, me I prefer to eat in MDR whenever We can.

I always though they were too. But the fries in the pub were no different that the fries in the buffet. I think that was part of my disappointment.

Will you tell us what the difference is?

I always though they were too. But the fries in the pub were no different that the fries in the buffet. I think that was part of my disappointment.

Will you tell us what the difference is?

No difference to me. Fries are fries all cooked in the same oil. I don't see what all the big fuss is about.

We usually eat at the buffet for lunch and at least there are many better choices.

We do like their desserts so next cruise we'll go to the buffet first & only stop by for their dessert. ;)

We had the fish and chips. They came with mushy peas. Sorry did not eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've stopped going for the fish & chips. I can taste the fish 2 hours later- not good.:(

I'll stick with the buffet where they serve things more to my liking.

I've generally enjoyed the fish and chips, but on the Grand this past September they were awful, and the Scotch Egg was really gross.

I've generally enjoyed the fish and chips, but on the Grand this past September they were awful, and the Scotch Egg was really gross.

The egg might actually be OK if it were baked but I'm guessing it's deep fried. :(

The egg might actually be OK if it were baked but I'm guessing it's deep fried. :(

Yes, they are usually deep fried. I think it's also the quality of the sausage used.

They are called marrowfat peas and not many brits eat them,the same as we all dont sound like Dick Vandyke,lol.

Not many of us eat scotch eggs either.

Seems like it,perhaps Americans think this is ye olde English fayre,LOL.

Why are they still served, mushy peas that is. Certainly not just for Americans.