Pub lunch

blbailey

They are called marrowfat peas and not many brits eat them.

This is funny you said that ... the first time I had ever attended a pub lunch, we were on a cruise with our friends, one of them being from England. I didn't know what that blob of green stuff was on my plate ... hahaha!! My British friend had to explain it to me. While he stated he never eats them ... I fell in love with them from the get go. Now, I always have plenty of helpings with my one entree that I order ... nobody that is seated with me (my friends or family, of course, not a stranger) at the pub lunch likes their portion so always give them to me. I make out like a bandit. :cool:

This is funny you said that ... the first time I had ever attended a pub lunch, we were on a cruise with our friends, one of them being from England. I didn't know what that blob of green stuff was on my plate ... hahaha!! My British friend had to explain it to me. While he stated he never eats them ... I fell in love with them from the get go. Now, I always have plenty of helpings with my one entree that I order ... nobody that is seated with me (my friends or family, of course, not a stranger) at the pub lunch likes their portion so always give them to me. I make out like a bandit. :cool:

I think the same thing of Princess's wines. Sit next to myself & the wife & you can have our glasses. ;)

Is the Pub Lunch available via room service to suite pax?

Rick

No. Suite pax have the perk of ordering room service off the main dining room menu but the Pub Lunch is only available in specific venues (usually Crown Grill or Wheelhouse Bar), not the Main Dining Room.

Because chippys in the UK still serve them.

I thought mushy peas were a northern thing, same as curry sauce and chips. And the pub lunch peas were not proper marrowfat peas ( I had to eat tins of those as a kid)

The food is just as lousy as the food in England. So if you enjoy that you will love the pub lunch

Says poster from the country that happily sells chlorinated chicken, pumps cattle full of hormones, never uses sugar when high-fructose corn syrup will suffice and will for only $1 more super-size anything. That being said the pub lunch is as authentic as Hearst Castle...

I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked the mushy peas. The last couple of times I have had fish and chips at the Pub Lunch that was the best thing on the plate.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked the mushy peas. The last couple of times I have had fish and chips at the Pub Lunch that was the best thing on the plate.

I agree with you there ... the fish is inconsistent. Now, never have I had a basket of shrimp there, though. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the mushy peas ... at least not when I've gotten it. It is usually only on the second pub lunch day but ooooooh so good.

The food is just as lousy as the food in England. So if you enjoy that you will love the pub lunch

We enjoyed (immensely) fish and chips and many other meals in Scotland and in England. While I have never had the pub lunch aboard a Princess ship, I must disagree with your critique of the food across the sea. I am editing this to say that my DH was born and raised in Scotland. I was a young bride, and grew up a very "difficult eater" always very picky. But I truly loved just about every meal I was served, both in pubs, hotels, and private homes.

Says poster from the country that happily sells chlorinated chicken, pumps cattle full of hormones, never uses sugar when high-fructose corn syrup will suffice and will for only $1 more super-size anything. That being said the pub lunch is as authentic as Hearst Castle...

Spotted dick

Laverbread

Stargazer pie

Jellied eel

Black pudding

Haggis

Beans on toast

Boring, bland, boiled

Spotted dick

Laverbread

Stargazer pie

Jellied eel

Black pudding

Haggis

Beans on toast

Boring, bland, boiled

Olive Loaf

Jello Salad

Scrapple

Chitterlings

Etc., etc.

There are awful foods everywhere. You sound like you're 12.

Beans on toast is my favorite comfort food, and I'm guessing you don't know what spotted dick is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by dtb55

My goodness, someone rattled your cage!

For your information, food is not lousy in England, some food is lousy I agree, but there are some wonderful restaurants if you do your homework and at least you don't have to eat burgers, pizza, macn'cheese, (what's that all about? Reminds us of bad school dinners!) or hot dogs plus fries fries fries day in day out. Many pubs here in the UK have raised the bar with their food offerings, and many cook with locally sourced ingredients, and fresh vegetables - not just the broccoli that many American restaurants seem only able to cook.

Haggis, anyone? Maybe white bacon? Kidney pie?

What's up with the mashed peas. :confused:

Is it a big custom in the UK.

I don't see the attraction except that they might be easier to get on the fork.

"Johnson boys eat peas and honey

They have et them all their life

Makes the peas taste mighty funny

But it keeps them on the knife."

Olive Loaf

Jello Salad

Scrapple

Chitterlings

Etc., etc.

Beans on toast is my favorite comfort food, and I'm guessing you don't know what spotted dick is.

Are these supposed to be American dishes? What part of the country?

What are scrapple and chitterlings? I'm going to look that up.

OK. I did. Doesn't sound very appetising. Sounds like the kind of food you eat when you don't have the resources to waste anything.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Are these supposed to be American dishes? What part of the country?

What are scrapple and chitterlings? I'm going to look that up.

The good thing about chitterlings--chitlins--is that they fit on a kebab. ;p

Olive Loaf

And what is wrong with olive loaf?

I know what spotted dick is and it might be good or bad just like fruit cake.

Beans and toast, not so much. I like beans on the side rather than on anything.

:D:D:D

YMMV

Beans and toast, not so much. I like beans on the side rather than on anything.

YMMV

British baked beans taste different to US baked beans.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

MMM--freshly sliced olive loaf as soon as I get it home. Can't resist a couple of slices all by themselves.

YMMV

For several English dishes you may not be aware of, read the Aubrey/Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian. the novel (and movie) "Master and Commander" was condensed from that series. Admittedly the originals take some getting used to because of the jumps in time that grate on the reader, but it's worth it.

Olive Loaf

Jello Salad

Scrapple

Chitterlings

Etc., etc.

Ignore him, he seems to pop up every time British food is mentioned, and then just slags it off. No denying food in the UK in the 70-80's was rubbish, but nowadays it has some of the best food in the world.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk