Pub lunch

blbailey

Just a fun story and a lesson about Pub Lunch. DW loves the mushy peas and asked for extra peas with her fish and chips. When the order arrived it had double the fish and no extra peas. The waiter heard "extra piece" and was happy to oblige.

Now at pub lunch she clearly enunciates and clarifies she doesn't mean extra fish!

Very rude......

And uneducated. As another poster said, when traveling avoid tourist traps and eat where the locals do. When we traveled to England and Whales we stayed with a friend in London and in local pubs when outside. Never had a bad meal. And the cider...oooo....the cider....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've had pub lunches on 3 different Princess ships. We really enjoyed them all. DH always gets fish and chips. I vary my selections. And usually there's a tasty dessert included. As far as English food in general, we've had some great meals in England. I especially remember steak and mushroom pie at the Swan in London. It was within walking distance of our hotel. That was several years ago, and I still think about it now and then. :D

If the food on the ship is a good indication of English food then

it is true.

They certainly don't mess up Italian food.

They do in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My goodness, someone rattled your cage!

For your information, food is not lousy in England, some food is lousy I agree, but there are some wonderful restaurants if you do your homework and at least you don't have to eat burgers, pizza, macn'cheese, (what's that all about? Reminds us of bad school dinners!) or hot dogs plus fries fries fries day in day out. Many pubs here in the UK have raised the bar with their food offerings, and many cook with locally sourced ingredients, and fresh vegetables - not just the broccoli that many American restaurants seem only able to cook.

In fact, on board ship, we always order extra steamed vegetables to accompany our entree, but we appear to be in the minority.

There is a lot of lousy food in America, but it's wrong to say all food there is lousy. Just as its wrong to say food in the UK is lousy.

I would add that we did not enjoy the pub lunch on Princess and have only tried it once. We thought the fish was really poor and had too much greasy batter. But then we are not lovers of fish and chips when at home, unless it is from a really good source, and includes thrice fried chips (fries) not the usual frozen thin chips provided across the USA and onboard ship.

But for those who do enjoy the pub lunch I'm pleased you do like it.

We had great food when we were in London recently! I agree with you. Bad food and good food is everywhere. Taste is so subjective though!

Never had an Irish Pub Lunch on a Princess cruise only British Pub Lunch and lets put the record straight the fish???? unkown fish and chips served is nothing like "proper" cod/haddock and chips served in a quality fish restaurant or take away.

Very rude......
Whenever the subject of British food arises, they seem to pop up with the same rubbish. I eaten plenty of crap food in the States. They probably haven't eaten here since the 70-80's when our food was rubbish.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

I didn't see the English pub lunch being available on our last 13 night cruise on the golden ( dec 2016) , and have check all the platters and not mentioned anywhere, ( the crab shack was on about 5 times ), but we mainly dined at sabatinis at night, and just a light lunch from the horizon court. But would have tried the fish and chip if they were on offer, but at our last port on call in new zealand ( picton ) we had some great local fish and chips washed down to local apple cider, very nice

Just a fun story and a lesson about Pub Lunch. DW loves the mushy peas and asked for extra peas with her fish and chips. When the order arrived it had double the fish and no extra peas. The waiter heard "extra piece" and was happy to oblige.

Now at pub lunch she clearly enunciates and clarifies she doesn't mean extra fish!

All we are saying is give peas a chance!!

Very rude......

So what, they are just giving their opinion. Maybe their experience in England was just as bad as the ship's I have heard a lot of people complain about the food in England. We had the pub lunch one and I will not go back again. Just not my tasted and I like fish and chips. The fish was soggy and I can get better French Fries anywhere.

I didn't see the English pub lunch being available on our last 13 night cruise on the golden ( dec 2016) , and have check all the platters and not mentioned anywhere, ( the crab shack was on about 5 times ), but we mainly dined at sabatinis at night, and just a light lunch from the horizon court. But would have tried the fish and chip if they were on offer, but at our last port on call in new zealand ( picton ) we had some great local fish and chips washed down to local apple cider, very nice

It would not be listed on the Patter back page list of dining for the day.

If offered, it will be in the center pages along with all the daily activities. It would be listed at about 11 AM. And it is only offered on sea days.

So what, they are just giving their opinion. Maybe their experience in England was just as bad as the ship's I have heard a lot of people complain about the food in England. We had the pub lunch one and I will not go back again. Just not my tasted and I like fish and chips. The fish was soggy and I can get better French Fries anywhere.

It is possible to get a point across without being rude.

It is possible to get a point across without being rude.

Just because someone speaks of an negative experience doesn't mean it's rude. That is all the poster was saying. He was talking about his experience in England.

Just because someone speaks of an negative experience doesn't mean it's rude. That is all the poster was saying. He was talking about his experience in England.

Yes, and it's my experience that comments like his are rude. My DH thanks you for the laugh, though.

Edited by dtb55