Lower sugar alcoholic drinks (but still with that nice Caribbean feel)?

k_y30

Hey there folks!

So, im sailing with my gf on the breeze soon. We just got back from the valor a couple of months ago and we bought the drink package (since somehow all of our rum runners for confiscated). This time we are thinking about doing the drink package from the get-go and not even messing with smuggling booze onboard. I really really loved being able to go to the bar and get anything I want, the bottled water alone was amazing, we probably drank 12-16 bottles a day per person.

Here's the problem though, they make the drinks pretty weak, so you have to drink a lot to actually feel anything, which isnt a big deal since you get 15 a day, but we were drinking so many calories from the sugar in the drinks, we were never really hungry and really missed out on a lot of the amazing dining experiences the ship has to offer.

So, what are some good options to drink on the ship that are a little lower in sugar, and even volume of the actual drink (more alcohol, less filler)? It seems like almost everything they offer is full of simple syrup. Also, can you get shots on the drink package? Or order a double and it count as 2 drinks?

Hey there folks!

So, im sailing with my gf on the breeze soon. We just got back from the valor a couple of months ago and we bought the drink package (since somehow all of our rum runners for confiscated). This time we are thinking about doing the drink package from the get-go and not even messing with smuggling booze onboard. I really really loved being able to go to the bar and get anything I want, the bottled water alone was amazing, we probably drank 12-16 bottles a day per person.

Here's the problem though, they make the drinks pretty weak, so you have to drink a lot to actually feel anything, which isnt a big deal since you get 15 a day, but we were drinking so many calories from the sugar in the drinks, we were never really hungry and really missed out on a lot of the amazing dining experiences the ship has to offer.

So, what are some good options to drink on the ship that are a little lower in sugar, and even volume of the actual drink (more alcohol, less filler)? It seems like almost everything they offer is full of simple syrup. Also, can you get shots on the drink package? Or order a double and it count as 2 drinks?

Most of the drinks at the Alchemy Bar are not sugar laden. They are quite potent and after a couple of those drinks, you will definitely be feeling them.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

My wife liked Malibu and pineapple juice, tasted like a pina colada without the sweet thickness. Mai tais are somewhat potent but still a lot of liquid if you want tropical. Chocolate martini is very potent and not much liquid but not really tropical. Rum and ginger beer is pretty good too, but also more liquid. You can order shots with cheers no problem. Doubles too but they count as two drinks.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

My wife liked Malibu and pineapple juice, tasted like a pina colada without the sweet thickness. Mai tais are somewhat potent but still a lot of liquid if you want tropical. Chocolate martini is very potent and not much liquid but not really tropical. Rum and ginger beer is pretty good too, but also more liquid. You can order shots with cheers no problem. Doubles too but they count as two drinks.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! Especially the info about the doubles

Most of the drinks at the Alchemy Bar are not sugar laden. They are quite potent and after a couple of those drinks, you will definitely be feeling them.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Ive only been there once, the drink was quite good. We usually stick to the bars by the pool so we will have to go check the others out

Hmmm.....I have never been able to order a double. Single drinks every 5 minutes was the rule I was told.

I do routinely order a drink and start on it, especially the frozen ones, and follow up with a shot to pour in a few minutes later. Gives it a little extra kick and limits the amount of mixer you have to drink.

If you want to cut down on sugar but keep the Caribbean feeling try this.

Ask the bartender for a shot of their best dark Rum and a glass of a sugary mixer, your choice.

Toss out the sugary crap and drink the Rum straight up.

Less sugar, more Caribbean. :)

Hey there folks!

I agree with you that most of their drinks are overly sweet. I'm not a sweet fan either. I like to order rum with soda water and a few lime wedges. I squeeze the lime wedges in the drink (about 3-4 is just right). It is a tasty drink without a lot of sugar (and zero simple syrup). I also like to order a bottle of rum from Fun Shops pre-cruise for my cabin. I can alter my drinks how I want them with that if they are too weak. You can also order a bottle of rum from room service for the same price that Fun Shop sells it for.

We also in the past have packed a couple rum runners and cans of sugar free ginger ale and sugar free Red Bull to help cut down on calories. However, we purchased Cheers last cruise and didn't bring any drinks on with us. We ordered a lot of Grey Goose and Perrier. I'm not a fan of seltzer but it is zero calories so I would get it with a splash of cranberry or pineapple or lime (depending on drink). Also, sugar free rockstar with Grey Goose. If I wasn't drinking one of those concoctions, I would stop by Alchemy Bar because those drinks were alcohol packed with mainly fresh ingredients. I never ordered any of the frozen or signature fruity drinks.

No double shots but you could order something and order a shot of something else five minutes later. We have done this with the Perrier and Rock Star because they give you the entire can/ bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also in the past have packed a couple rum runners and cans of sugar free ginger ale and sugar free Red Bull to help cut down on calories. However, we purchased Cheers last cruise and didn't bring any drinks on with us. We ordered a lot of Grey Goose and Perrier. I'm not a fan of seltzer but it is zero calories so I would get it with a splash of cranberry or pineapple or lime (depending on drink). Also, sugar free rockstar with Grey Goose. If I wasn't drinking one of those concoctions, I would stop by Alchemy Bar because those drinks were alcohol packed with mainly fresh ingredients. I never ordered any of the frozen or signature fruity drinks.

No double shots but you could order something and order a shot of something else five minutes later. We have done this with the Perrier and Rock Star because they give you the entire can/ bottle.

Sugar free Rock Star has sucralose. I wouldn't consider that a desirable alternative to sugar.

https://www.downtoearth.org/articles/2009-03/68/sucralose-dangerous-sugar-substitute

Order drinks with flavor rums or vodka and drink on the rocks with mixers of choice

Mai tai & Bahama Mama are two good drinks

Google: Polynesian Cocktail drinks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey there folks!

You can't order a drink with a db shot on the Cheers card. You can however order your drink, wait five minutes and order a shot of whatever you want and add it to your drink. I like to drink Vodka and diet sprite or Roco Patron shots.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can't order a drink with a db shot on the Cheers card. You can however order your drink, wait five minutes and order a shot of whatever you want and add it to your drink. I like to drink Vodka and diet sprite or Roco Patron shots.

This seems to be the general concensus that you can't get doubles but what I'll most likely do is order a drink and a shot using both me and my gf's cards and then when she wants something she can do the same! Thanks for the reply!

Order a Death in the Afternoon at the Alchemy bar. It's absinthe and champagne. If they don't know how to make it, tell them nicely it's in their book of drink recipes. I can drink tequila ALL day long, but these bad boys, 4 maybe 5, at night while we listen to what ever bands playing in the Ocean Plaza and its lights out for me till the next morning. I never drink these unless my hubby's with me. LOL

Order a Death in the Afternoon at the Alchemy bar. It's absinthe and champagne. If they don't know how to make it, tell them nicely it's in their book of drink recipes. I can drink tequila ALL day long, but these bad boys, 4 maybe 5, at night while we listen to what ever bands playing in the Ocean Plaza and its lights out for me till the next morning. I never drink these unless my hubby's with me. LOL

Doesn't absinthe have some kind of weird chemical or drug in it? I rememeber watching a documentary years ago and the reason it got you so hammered Is bc of that. I could be wrong but I've always been scared to try it bc of that. Lol

....and you always have the classics.....rum and diet coke.....crown and diet sprite....vodka and diet ginger ale.

I like these drinks too.

Ask for a Long Island iced tea w diet soda. No ice. (Otherwise too many bartenders load w too much ice)

You found the drinks weak? I found most of mine were strong. The bartender in the sports bar was very heavy handed. His singles were more like a triple lol.

Now we didn't have the cheers package so maybe that made a difference.

Anything with fruit juice will have lots of sugar. If you get things like martinis you will have less mix in it and more booze.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app