Has the time come for Celebrity to do a World Cruise?

kelmac

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have cruised Celebrity 29 times and are Elite Plus Captain's Club members. We cruise Celebrity about half the time, with 61 cruises total. My wife retires in June of 2018 and we are planning on taking our first world cruise segment. Loads of options, even from Celebrity's direct competition (HAL and Princess). All the luxury lines have a world cruise. Even MSC does a world cruise.

Why is Celebrity not in this market? We are booked on Cunard's Victoria 2019 world cruise, but we would drop them in a minute if Celebrity were to enter this market. These cruises tend to sell out early and the prices can be really steep. Sounds like an M-class ship would fit the bill.

This could be a RCL thing? What do you think?

Enjoy!

Kel:D

The Cunard cruise sounds like a great choice to Celebrate Retirement...we would love to try that ship....

If Celeb did move to a world cruise itin , it'd take awhile for them to figure it out,..would not depend on it any time soon....esp being so focused on EDGE class roll outs

..What about Azamara? They's be a good choice but with only 2 ships might not happen either,

The Cunard cruise sounds like a great choice to Celebrate Retirement...we would love to try that ship....

If Celeb did move to a world cruise itin , it'd take awhile for them to figure it out,..would not depend on it any time soon....esp being so focused on EDGE class roll outs

..What about Azamara? They's be a good choice but with only 2 ships might not happen either,

cat,

I think you are right about the focus being on the EDGE class ships. What's the deal with Azamara? They still only have two ships, and Oceania just left them in the dust. I think Oceania is up to six ships. We originally booked a segment with Oceania, but it was sold out and we could only get a "wait-list" booking. After two months, we gave up and booked with Cunard.

We love to cruise but after about 35 days we are ready to get off the ship so no interest in a world cruise.

je,

It is a concern for us too. The Victoria will have a ton of sea days -- yikes!:o We have a year and a half to psych ourselves up. 21 days is the longest we've spent on a ship.

Maybe a few years ago, before the current CEO took over, this would have been appealing. But now she wants to focus on younger passengers -- very few of them would have the time and money needed for such a cruise. World cruisers tend to be retired people, and Celebrity is trying to market to a different crowd. Perhaps if she leaves, then the focus will change again.....who knows?

I'll speculate that if Celebrity thought there was a market for them with a world cruise they would do it.:)

H,

I kind of think Royal Caribbean is the one holding them back? I'm sure a World Cruise takes a lot of planning in the main office, and perhaps they don't want to do the work? I talked to a couple of officers on the Equinox this past June, and they were all for it.

World cruises can run anywhere from 84 days to 180 days. Prices: (cheapest cabin on the ship, per person)

Regent = $79,000

Cunard QM2 = $18,000

Cunard Victoria = $20,000

MSC = $19,000

Princess = $23,000

P&O = $14,000

Silver Sea = $59,000

Oceania = $45,000

Crystal = $27,000 (only 84 days)

HAL = $20,000

Maybe a few years ago, before the current CEO took over, this would have been appealing. But now she wants to focus on younger passengers -- very few of them would have the time and money needed for such a cruise. World cruisers tend to be retired people, and Celebrity is trying to market to a different crowd. Perhaps if she leaves, then the focus will change again.....who knows?

cs,

Good point! Of course, we are talking about only one ship out of the entire fleet. A 120 day world cruise could be divided up into six or seven "segments" and perhaps those might appeal to a younger crowd? Most people I know under the age of 35 have more than one job and are constantly moving to keep even with the ever changing job market.

I retire in June 2018 as well. While I think a M-Class ship would be fine, like a lot of people on this board I was so sorry to see Century go bye-bye. She would have been perfect for a world cruise IMO.

I feel Celebrity has been around long enough now to have developed a passenger base that a World Cruise would attract. But as others have stated the company has a different focus.

.... While I think a M-Class ship would be fine, like a lot of people on this board I was so sorry to see Century go bye-bye. She would have been perfect for a world cruise IMO.

The Century was our favorite ship, and I also think she would have been perfect for a world cruise.

We currently spend between 60 to 90 nights annually on a Celebrity ship. We prefer B2B, B2B2B, and B2B2B2B series. I am always looking for cruises we can string together for a series we would find appealing. While I would be delighted if Celebrity developed series of itineraries for a world cruise I also doubt we will see one anytime in the foreseeable future.

You can put together some great vacations by doing some homework....For my retirement we booked the transpacific 19 night cruise.

We looked at adding the crossing from Vancouver pre cruise or the first Australia cruise of the season post cruise. In the end we enjoyed land based time in Hawaii pre cruise and land based time in Australia post cruise. The balance between being on ship/off ship worked better for us than a longer cruise.

Some cruises really do lend themselves to be joined to make a world cruise segment (Constellation Asia cruise, followed by India and Emirates followed by Suez followed by first Med cruise of the season).

Lists of pricing for longer cruises can be quite misleading without taking into account what is included.....those cruises offering a more inclusive package (wine with dinner, other drinks, excursions....) may look expensive but if you factor in drinks and excursion costs over an 80-100 day cruise these costs will be significant.

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have cruised Celebrity 29 times and are Elite Plus Captain's Club members. We cruise Celebrity about half the time, with 61 cruises total. My wife retires in June of 2018 and we are planning on taking our first world cruise segment. Loads of options, even from Celebrity's direct competition (HAL and Princess). All the luxury lines have a world cruise. Even MSC does a world cruise.

Why is Celebrity not in this market? We are booked on Cunard's Victoria 2019 world cruise, but we would drop them in a minute if Celebrity were to enter this market. These cruises tend to sell out early and the prices can be really steep. Sounds like an M-class ship would fit the bill.

This could be a RCL thing? What do you think?

Enjoy!

We've done Cunard most out of our cruises. I'd go with them first choice if we did a WC. why would you drop them in a heart beat? If it's the dress code (which we like)then, yes I'd suggest another line.

We've done eight cruises with Celebrity & also sailed with Cunard, Crystal, HA, RCL, Princess & NCL (yuck !).

Also agree that Celebrity are surely missing a marketplace by not doing any cruises over 18/19 days. We would like to do longer segments, maybe 30-60 days, and whilst b2b etc. is an option, it's all a bit messy & it does seem strange that Celebrity stand back from this sector compleletly.

Having done TA's on the Queen Mary 2 and the QV in the last couple of years, they are lovely ships, but we wouldn't want to be on them for more than 14 days or so. The atmosphere (particularly on the QV) is a trifle staid, and the thought of 60 days on them would not fill us with glee.

Come on Celebrity, get in the marketplace !

Azamara is affiliated with Celebrity and they do world cruises. The ships are smaller and probably easier to fill for this boutique type of cruising. It might be tougher with an M Class ship. There is some reciprocity of benefits.

We've done Cunard most out of our cruises. I'd go with them first choice if we did a WC. why would you drop them in a heart beat? If it's the dress code (which we like)then, yes I'd suggest another line.

Hi Keith,

We feel good about doing Cunard's Victoria, as we've spent 22 days on the Queen Mary 2 and loved it. Formal is great with us! I still have a couple of tuxedos that fit fine. We do think the food is just a bit better on Celebrity, however, there are some reports that Cunard has upgraded the Lido this year. I always considered the QM2's Lido as one of their weak points, even though we rarely eat in the buffet.

QV's wrap around promenade deck is a selling point for us! Need a bit more exercise on a WC.:D

Enjoy!

Kel

Azamara is affiliated with Celebrity and they do world cruises. The ships are smaller and probably easier to fill for this boutique type of cruising. It might be tougher with an M Class ship. There is some reciprocity of benefits.

Hi hofh,

We've cruised once on Azamara's Journey and loved it. The food is right up there with Oceania. Not crazy about those old Renaissance ships. They are great at getting into smaller ports, but lack in many areas. Much rather be on an M-class ship.

Enjoy!

I'll speculate that if Celebrity thought there was a market for them with a world cruise they would do it.:)

I agree. It's still a business they are running.

Are you saying that a World Cruise is not that profitable to a cruise line?

Hi hofh,

We've cruised once on Azamara's Journey and loved it. The food is right up there with Oceania. Not crazy about those old Renaissance ships. They are great at getting into smaller ports, but lack in many areas. Much rather be on an M-class ship.

Enjoy!

Kel...have you been on Azamara since they did the massive dry dock and changed all the decor? The ships are really looking great IMO. What did you think AZ lacked? LuAnn

Hi hofh,

Enjoy!

I absolutely loved the Constellation. There is no other ship I'd rather be on. We booked Millennium for Alaska. We do have an Azamara booked down the road. They can dock places others can't. But we'll surely do more on M Class. It's weird. You read the Celebrity boards and many consider them inferior and an afterthought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kel...have you been on Azamara since they did the massive dry dock and changed all the decor? The ships are really looking great IMO. What did you think AZ lacked? LuAnn

Hi LuAnn,

The old R-class ships of Azamara, Oceania and Princess have a good space ratio, but they lack in public areas and entertainment. The ships are 30,000 tons; they are slow, with a top speed of 18 knots; they are screw shafted drive systems that make for more vibration; the cabins are pretty small. Most are at least 17 years old. I did cruise the Journey before their upgrades, so I guess they much better now.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to do a port intensive cruise with Azamara or Oceania in specific areas (like New Zealand, Asia...,), but a World Cruise at those slow speeds?

Enjoy!

Hi LuAnn,

The old R-class ships of Azamara, Oceania and Princess have a good space ratio, but they lack in public areas and entertainment. The ships are 30,000 tons; they are slow, with a top speed of 18 knots; they are screw shafted drive systems that make for more vibration; the cabins are pretty small. Most are at least 17 years old. I did cruise the Journey before their upgrades, so I guess they much better now.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to do a port intensive cruise with Azamara or Oceania in specific areas (like New Zealand, Asia...,), but a World Cruise at those slow speeds?

Enjoy!

I see your point about the speed...never knew that before!! :o and yes the main entertainment venue is pretty small!! ..and much smaller "shows" as a result! LuAnn

Hi Keith,

We feel good about doing Cunard's Victoria, as we've spent 22 days on the Queen Mary 2 and loved it. Formal is great with us! I still have a couple of tuxedos that fit fine. We do think the food is just a bit better on Celebrity, however, there are some reports that Cunard has upgraded the Lido this year. I always considered the QM2's Lido as one of their weak points, even though we rarely eat in the buffet.

QV's wrap around promenade deck is a selling point for us! Need a bit more exercise on a WC.:D

Enjoy!

Kel

Always preferred the promenade on the QM2. You don't have to walk inside & cross over to the other side. Food on the Eclipse had deteriorated to the point that we're trying Oceania next Jan. I love Cunard but we really are only able to sail from Jan-March due to the catering schedule I have.