Traveling while obese on Anthem of the Seas

Full disclosure, I posted this in another forum just in case in belonged there but I'm asking here too.

This is kind of embarrassing to ask but I'm a big girl (like over 300 pounds big) and I'm having some serious anxiety about the wall-mounted toilet in our stateroom. I've heard stories of larger people breaking them from the wall and I wanted to know if the ones on RCI Anthem of the Seas had any sort of weight limit? Anyone else my size or bigger have any experience with the wall-mounted toilets on Royal Caribbean that can put my fears to bed? I've tried to find the answer on my own including calling RCI for the answer and nothing. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned about this. Help!!!

The toilets are firmly mounted and I've never heard on one breaking when a heavy person sits on it.

You certainly will not be the only obese person on the ship so try not to worry about it.

Go and look forward to having a WONDERFUL time. :D

your biggest ( pun not intended) will be using the facilities in public spaces. they have a tendency to stick a potty in the weirdest configurations and making the stalls BEYOND cramped. I have hip/mobility issues( getting a new hip in 10 days!) and there were a few times where I literally could not get myself sat down, let alone to be able to stand up afterward. there was literally less than in inch of clearance.

suggestion: if you are in a non suite, the shower in the room might be ..tiny.. but you can use the shower facilities in the Gym.

your biggest ( pun not intended) will be using the facilities in public spaces. they have a tendency to stick a potty in the weirdest configurations and making the stalls BEYOND cramped. I have hip/mobility issues( getting a new hip in 10 days!) and there were a few times where I literally could not get myself sat down, let alone to be able to stand up afterward. there was literally less than in inch of clearance.

suggestion: if you are in a non suite, the shower in the room might be ..tiny.. but you can use the shower facilities in the Gym.

Hi

There are no showers in the gym on Anthem.

Possibly in the spa but not the regular gym like on freedom or voyager class

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good luck with your new hip! :)

You will love the spa jr. Suite. It has a wonderful walk is shower that is very large. It has a rain shower, wall mounted shower head and a hand held. The other bathroom has the bowl and sink which I'm sure will be just fine. Go, have fun, enjoy and don't give it a second thought. Enjoy coastal kitchen.

First off - thanks for even asking this.

I'm in the 250 range and my hubby is in the 350 range and I'm always trying to discreetly find out the weight restrictions on things without disclosing much about myself; worried about rude remarks.

Second - my husband has never broken anything on any cruise ship - not a stool, not a chair, not a toilet.

We've only been on Norwegian cruises before and in some rooms where the toilet is placed is quite tight. He's big guy and tall as well so some bathrooms may have been tight - but nothing he couldn't get used to for a week. I don't know how Royal bathrooms compare yet.

Also, I'll just say here that in my weight restriction search I have found out that the Northstar and any kind of ziplining is off limits (I'm afraid of heights so I'm not super disappointed) but the bumper cars are fine.

First off - thanks for even asking this.

I'm in the 250 range and my hubby is in the 350 range and I'm always trying to discreetly find out the weight restrictions on things without disclosing much about myself; worried about rude remarks.

Second - my husband has never broken anything on any cruise ship - not a stool, not a chair, not a toilet.

We've only been on Norwegian cruises before and in some rooms where the toilet is placed is quite tight. He's big guy and tall as well so some bathrooms may have been tight - but nothing he couldn't get used to for a week. I don't know how Royal bathrooms compare yet.

Also, I'll just say here that in my weight restriction search I have found out that the Northstar and any kind of ziplining is off limits (I'm afraid of heights so I'm not super disappointed) but the bumper cars are fine.

I just sailed NCL and I hated the little partition wall/sliding door that was between the toilet and the rest of the bathroom on Dawn! I can't tell you how many times I stubbed my toe on the stupid thing in the middle of the night.

I would ask at Northstar about restrictions, we rode with a couple that was large. He was easily north of 300. Some say they have been weighed prior to going up, no one in our group was weighed. The restrictions are due to the harnesses they use if there is a malfunction and they need to lower everyone down by rope.:eek: Yes, as someone who is also afraid of heights, that almost made me not try Northstar, but I am so glad I did. The operator we had explained what we will feel, how there is a little bump as they unlock and start and after that is is smooth as can be. He was exactly right and it was windy when we were up there and we didn't shake. I just never looked straight down to the deck and felt safe the whole time. They also only allow 14 passengers which made it feel very spacious and allowed you to move around freely.

Bumper cars were fun but they do not make everyone go in one direction and there are a lot of head on collisions. For us, it was a one and done since people were nuts!:evilsmile::D

Read your posts on here for years. Good luck, will be thinking about you. Enjoy your new hip!

Haven't sailed on the Anthem, but on other ships have noticed MDR has armless chairs and chairs with arms. Don't be afraid to ask for an armless chair - much more comfortable for anyone on the heavier side. If you have traditional dining you will probably find after the first night your waiter will automatically have the chair waiting for you.