Currently clueless about cruising with an infant

Gennie36

So, my husband and I are first-time cruisers who got invited on a family vacation cruise to Bermuda. Our baby will be 6mo when we travel, and I'm getting anxious researching all the things we'll need to bring or leave behind. She's still only fed breastmilk & formula, but she'll be starting puréed food in the next couple months.

If you have any helpful cruising advice on anything related to our situation, we'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!:D

Breastfeeding is good and easy! So that's a plus! You will need to bring ALL the diapers,wipes, etc....that you'll need....or you can purchase diapers in Bermuda...they have children there, too! Of course, it may not be your brand....personally, I'd bring what works for me! There are lots of "mashable" foods on the ship, so you could probably get by without bringing actual "baby food"...

I would recommend a balcony cabin, so you have some place 'to be' while baby is napping or down early for the night. And, get your child used to noises while sleeping...because there will be random noise on the ship!

Really, traveling with your kids isn't different than being home with them....it's simply that you will need to bring most of what you'll need, as the ship sells nothing for babies. Bring any pediatric meds (nose drops, ear drops, antihistamines, tummy ache stuff, etc...)

We never traveled with an infant but I make sure I would have twice as much stuff as I thought I would need plus buy trip medical evacuation insurance.

BTW, have fun and but some memories.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Both of my kids have had passports pretty much since the month they were each born. I've always traveled with them. You will be just fine and will have a great time! One thing I learned the hard way, was to make sure that you do not bring a bulky stroller onto the ship. You are allowed to, but it is a pain! Large strollers won't fit through the cabin doorway and are difficult to maneuver around the ship. Something like a MacLaren or similar works just great.

Just make sure the baby is definitely 6 months old on the day of embarkation. Turning 6 months during the cruise won't cut it.

Also know that you will not be allowed to take the baby into any pool, hot tub, or splash area on the ship.

The cabins will not have a bathtub so start to train your little one for showers.

It is easy to do. When one of your takes a shower, strip the little one down and hold her in your arms. Let them slowly get use to water spraying down over them. Build up to lying him/her down and doing the washing and rinsing.

The other person stays back to receive the baby into a towel and dry them off.

Bring a blowup baby bath to bath her or use the bathroom sink with folded towels around the edge. An umbrella stroller is a god send for walking, napping and dinner time (especially if you can time your dinner with a nap). Breastfeeding is good for a cruise with an infant as no worries with formula and bottles, can bring some puree food with you or baby cereal. Diapers will be your challenge, just bring extra to be safe. You will be fine, just know that you may need to get up and leave with her from the MDR or other venue should she start fussing or crying.

I have traveled with my granddaughter since she was 6 months and 2 days old. And they must be 6 months old!!We brought a massive amount of diapers and wipes. Must prepare for gi distress just in case. We packed most in the pack and play as there was extra space in the case. Cabin steward gave us bags for the diapers as they need to dispose of them separately.

For the bottles we brought liquid dawn dishwashing and a bottle brush. Dining room staff was wonderful offering what was mashable for her.

Never regretted bringing her and now at age 5 she is also an addict like her mother and grandmother

We traveled with our 13 month old daughter. I agree with what the others have said. Plenty of diapers, a small inflatable pool for the shower, and a slim stroller. We had no problems finding food we could feed our daughter. I know your child is younger, but still should have no problem finding food that will be suitable for your little one. Enjoy your cruise and by hopefully by the time your little one is grown they will be a platinum or diamond cruiser!

Buy plenty of bottled water to be delivered to your stateroom, either for mixing formula or to keep you hydrated!

If she'll just be 6 months, you'll just likely be introducing solids. I'd recommend against introducing anything new while onboard, and sticking to things you've already had success with, primarily for potential allergy issues.

And plan to be very popular. Many of the crew have young relatives at home and love babies. We took a family cruise when one granddaughter wa 10 months old and she had a line of servers waiting to bring her anything she wanted. It was a wonderful experience.

Blow up pools and bathtubs are not allowed by Carnival... if you are flying into the port the day before, consider having diapers.com deliver diapers/wipes directly to your hotel (convenient, and saves on having to fly with an extra suitcase full of those items!), or take a days supply and then purchase locally after your flight lands. Take dish soap so that you can wash bottles or cups in the sink. Plan to do laundry once while on board- you can pack less clothes that way (I always pack a couple tide pods).

Partially incorrect, inflatable pools and baby tubs are not allowed on any open deck nor balcony, but can be brought on board for use in the cabin bathroom and for the beaches in port.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Just going by the list of prohibited items on Carnival's website, it doesn't specify where they may be used.... there may be exceptions I'm unaware of.

Dont worry about the food. Wife and i brought our then 9month with us and luggaged a bunch of premade foods and used none of it. Only things we used was oatmeal in the morning that we mixed with formula milk the rest of the time we gave her Puree food that the ship made for us. First day you go to the dinning area and ask for puree food for lunch and dinner every day of the week and when you go to the dining area let them know you requested that and they will bring it. We had Butternut Squash puree that was her fav at that time and some others made daily fresh for her. We took a 4 day cruise with her and brought 1 box of papers only ended up using 1/4 of it but we were ready. Also when we we would change her diapers we put them in a closed small garbage bag, ask your room steward for a bunch they will appreciate it not having to handle dirty smelly garbage bags. We had a balcony so baby and i would sleep while mom would sun bathe in the balcony.

We also took a small umbrella stroller from walmart cost like $26 and it was a lifesaver no need for those big bulky strollers.

Of course no shows for us as we didnt want to disturb anyone incase she cried etc... but we were all about the pool parties and anything pool side even though babys that still are not potty trained cannot use the pool areas.

If you get to a beach try to rent a umbrella or clamshell for shade dont rely on getting natural shade as those are hard to get.

Also we carried extra clothes for her all the time. Extra snacks and some toys for her to play with.

A hat and sunglasses if they can handle it. My baby loved her hat but not the glasses to much.

And like someone said you will be very popular with everyone! especially the staff. Take advantage of it if they offer something take it!

Most the staff have children and miss their own so they like to spoil ours.

I never leave my child with childcare because there are so many creeps out there but to each their own.

we had a blast with our baby its a bit different then cruising solo but we enjoyed her to the max. Also if you have family or friends you trust let them baby sit a little while you go do something fun too even if that's just sleeping! lol.

enjoy!

Diapers:

Count how many your kiddo goes through in a day. Add 2 per day (Just in case!) Than plan how many days you will be away and add 2 days (Just in case!) Multiply your daily usage by the # of days. Bring at least that many diapers. (For me at 9 months it was basically a box plus some for the plane!)

Wipes:

Bring at least 1 more box than you think you will need. In the couple weeks before we left I stopped using my packs at about half full and saved them. Than when we left for the trip all 3 of the adults got one of the half packs to just carry with them in their carry on. Above the 2 full packs we put in the suitcase.

Meds:

Bring any OTC you can think you might need. We did Tylenol, Benadryl both for babies.

Clothes:

There is laundry on boards so bring about 1/2 a trips worth and do laundry on board (Although that means bringing some laundry soap along too!)

Baby Carrier:

Loved ours it was essential for our trips.

Lastly and here is the biggest thing we found when traveling:

Stay on schedule.

If you normally feed 1st thing in the AM, than feed 1st AM.

If you normally nap at 2, nap at 2.

Tell your travel companions your basic schedule and don't waver.

Hungry, tired babies are not good traveling companions. It's better to miss something, than upset your schedule. IMO.

Take lots of Pics and have a great time!!

Dont worry about the food. Wife and i brought our then 9month with us and luggaged a bunch of premade foods and used none of it. Only things we used was oatmeal in the morning that we mixed with formula milk the rest of the time we gave her Puree food that the ship made for us. First day you go to the dinning area and ask for puree food for lunch and dinner every day of the week and when you go to the dining area let them know you requested that and they will bring it. We had Butternut Squash puree that was her fav at that time and some others made daily fresh for her. We took a 4 day cruise with her and brought 1 box of papers only ended up using 1/4 of it but we were ready. Also when we we would change her diapers we put them in a closed small garbage bag, ask your room steward for a bunch they will appreciate it not having to handle dirty smelly garbage bags. We had a balcony so baby and i would sleep while mom would sun bathe in the balcony.

We also took a small umbrella stroller from walmart cost like $26 and it was a lifesaver no need for those big bulky strollers.

Of course no shows for us as we didnt want to disturb anyone incase she cried etc... but we were all about the pool parties and anything pool side even though babys that still are not potty trained cannot use the pool areas.

If you get to a beach try to rent a umbrella or clamshell for shade dont rely on getting natural shade as those are hard to get.

Also we carried extra clothes for her all the time. Extra snacks and some toys for her to play with.

A hat and sunglasses if they can handle it. My baby loved her hat but not the glasses to much.

And like someone said you will be very popular with everyone! especially the staff. Take advantage of it if they offer something take it!

Most the staff have children and miss their own so they like to spoil ours.

I never leave my child with childcare because there are so many creeps out there but to each their own.

we had a blast with our baby its a bit different then cruising solo but we enjoyed her to the max. Also if you have family or friends you trust let them baby sit a little while you go do something fun too even if that's just sleeping! lol.

enjoy!

Very thorough-- just what we need! Thanks!

You have been giving some great advise. I would just like to add, anything the ship might puree for you has the potential to be salt.

Yes, thank you. I totally agree. We'll definitely have to taste everything to make sure it's ok.

Partially incorrect, inflatable pools and baby tubs are not allowed on any open deck nor balcony, but can be brought on board for use in the cabin bathroom and for the beaches in port.

THIS!!!! The bath is small and folded, tuck in luggage easily somewhere....;p