Laundry

ronrick1943

Agreed! With the fares Regent charges (which seem ever-increasing) laundry should not be a profit center for them. We participated in "laundry packages" of this type on The Paul Gauguin and on a cruise in the MSC Yacht Club. And on a related subject, Regent's fares have reached the point that I am having difficulty justifying another Regent cruise in the future. It is not that we are poor and destitute people (though not billionaires either). Rather, with all the hassle, inconvenience, and expense of getting upgrade airline accommodations all the way from home to the port and back and the hassle of connections, coupled with Regent's high fares, the laundry matter is like the straw that broke the camel's back!

I don't put much stock in Regent's ads. Free UNLIMITED shore excursions? And the ad I received saying we gold members would get free valet laundry service - and didn't add that it was only one bag per week until I called them on it.

Agree, but one can hope!

First let me say that almost every travel industry company, ie cruise lines, airlines, etc, have a loyalty program. They spend millions of dollars to attract and keep valued customers. It works! Like Travelcat2, once we started cruising on Regent in 2009 our goal became to be "Titanium". We now have 573 nights on RSSC and are Titanium and have two more cruises booked for total of another 69 nights. At Platinum level (200+ nights) you get free laundry. We paid over $200,000 to obtain that level. Yes, I would be offended if Regent just gave that benefit to everyone much as they have done with the free wifi benefit on many cruises. Prior to 2009 we obtained the top level on Princess (Elite) and Royal Caribbean (Diamond Plus) so as to enjoy the associated benefits there. We fly only American Airlines due to AAdvantage Program benefits. Just trying to say this sort of marketing works. I guess if Regent gave free laundry then you would want free private car to and from ship as we get now after spending over $600,00 on Regent cruises. BTW, you can get free laundry AND NOW MEDICAL on World Cruises! Let me dispel another myth, NOTHING is free on Regent. It's all factored into fares.

You stated it so well. I think that I would leave Regent if they gave a discount in lieu of free laundry to people that haven't earned the right to have it. We do not do long cruises and it took us 13+ years to earn a benefit that people want for free. When I read these posts, it makes me less upset that Gold Seven Seas Society members get one bag of free laundry per week.

If people want free laundry without having to earn it, go on Silversea and stay in a Silver Suite or above. That should solve the issue.

There comes a point where enough is enough. Regent is the most inclusive luxury cruise line in existence..... isn't that enough? Wish I could apologize for this angry post but I simply cannot. I believe in what I am saying very strongly.

P.S. I am also against discounted laundry unless or until you reach at least Gold level. People are paying thousands upon thousands of dollars to sail on Regent so one would assume that spending a couple of hundred on laundry wouldn't be a huge issue. If it was, there is free laundry available (DIY).

Edited by Travelcat2

You stated it so well. I think that I would leave Regent if they gave a discount in lieu of free laundry to people that haven't earned the right to have it. We do not do long cruises and it took us 13+ years to earn a benefit that people want for free. When I read these posts, it makes me less upset that Gold Seven Seas Society members get one bag of free laundry per week.

If people want free laundry without having to earn it, go on Silversea and stay in a Silver Suite or above. That should solve the issue.

There comes a point where enough is enough. Regent is the most inclusive luxury cruise line in existence..... isn't that enough? Wish I could apologize for this angry post but I simply cannot. I believe in what I am saying very strongly.

P.S. I am also against discounted laundry unless or until you reach at least Gold level. People are paying thousands upon thousands of dollars to sail on Regent so one would assume that spending a couple of hundred on laundry wouldn't be a huge issue. If it was, there is free laundry available (DIY).

I do not like to get into the fray but I feel like I went down the rabbit hole on this thread.

Companies change loyalty programs all the time; as Regent did a few years ago. Cell companies, cable companies, credit cards they all make special offers - more minutes, premium channels, bonus points. It may have taken me a long time to get to a certain number of AMEX points but I don't begrudge the person who gets a bonus offer. I did not get offered the recent $250 credit that was mentioned on this board, so be it. Maybe I'll get something else in the future.

The attitude of "I earned it, this is mine and no one else should have it" is really off putting and does not mesh with prior posts of Regent being a place that is not elitist or "class" based.

I do not like to get into the fray but I feel like I went down the rabbit hole on this thread.

Companies change loyalty programs all the time; as Regent did a few years ago. Cell companies, cable companies, credit cards they all make special offers - more minutes, premium channels, bonus points. It may have taken me a long time to get to a certain number of AMEX points but I don't begrudge the person who gets a bonus offer. I did not get offered the recent $250 credit that was mentioned on this board, so be it. Maybe I'll get something else in the future.

The attitude of "I earned it, this is mine and no one else should have it" is really off putting and does not mesh with prior posts of Regent being a place that is not elitist or "class" based.

Have to agree with you, some people live in the pass. Change happens-and if that is what is needed to get additional cruisers on the ship it will happen. We can only hope and I sure they do, Regent has to look at what other lines are doing.

If you don't change, you won't be in business....

[quote name=LoonCall;53939771

The attitude of "I earned it' date=' this is mine and no one else should have it" is really off putting and does not mesh with prior posts of Regent being a place that is not elitist or "class" based.[/quote]

I've pretty much said all that I wish to say on this thread but do want to address the "elitist" or "class" based comment. Regent's loyalty benefits are the same for everyone - whether you book the lowest suite or the highest. There is absolutely nothing elitist or class based about their program. And, they update the benefits periodically (it was changed within the last 6 months or so I doubt if there will be any significant changes for quite a while).

For those of you that seem so against loyalty based programs, perhaps you want to give up your air miles ..... or, allow people that have only flown once or twice on an airline to have the same benefits that you do. If you feel this is fair, so be it. Benefits in the airline industry loyalty programs have decreased over the years rather than increased and it hasn't hurt their airline one bit. If you want what an airline has to offer, you'll fly with them. If not, you won't. IMO, this is the same with Regent. Regent is the leader in the luxury cruise industry (my somewhat subjective opinion) and, for the most part, their thousands and thousands of loyal passengers are happy with what they offer!

Yes, that one (small) bag of free laundry per week really impressed me (not!). And it made me wonder what they do on a 10 night cruise? I still don't know. And when Regent first advertised this, they "forgot" to say it was so limited. Considering that we now have over 100 nights (which at current fares is close to $100,000 spent with them) I felt that Regent might as well give me a ball point pen!

Yes, that one (small) bag of free laundry per week really impressed me (not!). And it made me wonder what they do on a 10 night cruise? I still don't know. And when Regent first advertised this, they "forgot" to say it was so limited. Considering that we now have over 100 nights (which at current fares is close to $100,000 spent with them) I felt that Regent might as well give me a ball point pen!

IMO the maths is fairly simple:

7 night cruise: 1 bag

10 night cruise: 1 bag

14 night cruise: 2 bags (1 each week)

20 night cruise: 2 bags

etc

The 'limitation' on free laundry for Gold SSS members was always stated from introduction of the benefit.

If you ask at Reception on board they will be happy to give you a ball point pen.

Flossie and all,

No, I actually learned of any included laundry for Gold members from a brochure sent out by the Seven Seas Society which stated a new benefit for Gold members was "free valet laundry service, because you want to enjoy your cruise instead of doing laundry" No bag limitation was stated. In subsequent SSS and Regent mailings (and I get about one per day) the one bag/week was added after my TA and I found the original notice was untrue, and we raised a little fuss about false and misleading advertising. I have found that ads from Regent in the last few years have often pushed the borderline of false and misleading advertising a bit too hard. It's like "free, unlimited shoe excursions." But what really got me was the way the original SSS announcement made what turned out to be a little bag of laundry done gratis per week (or 10 days) to be a "big deal" reward for somebody who has spent a much on Regent as I have!

Let me say again that if Regent were to make included unlimited laundry available to people below Platinum, people at that level and above should be given something to compensate (like REAL unlimited included shore excursions -- even the ones that now cost extra). But don't hold your breath. And perhaps Regent shouldn't do that. But they darn well should offer bulk laundry packages to all guests at a cost below per piece. At the fares they are now charging, that's the least they should do.

Edited by Dolebludger

"I've pretty much said all that I wish to say on this thread but do want to address the "elitist" or "class" based comment. Regent's loyalty benefits are the same for everyone - whether you book the lowest suite or the highest. There is absolutely nothing elitist or class based about their program. "

Regent's loyalty program is not what I was referring to. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post.

Dolebludger, if Regent had given us one "small" bag of laundry per week when we were Gold, I would have done backflips (seriously).

LoonCall, as I believe that you know, we are currently on the Mariner so going back to find a previous post is not as easy as when we are on land. Therefore, I must assume that your "elitist" and class oriented comments were meant for me. CC members that have read my posts for the past 10+ years know very well how I stand up for passengers - especially when Regent has wanted to start programs that, IMO, were clearly "class oriented". I have even gone to corporate with my concerns that Regent would become "class oriented" like Oceania is. Although we almost always stay in a PH suite or above, we do not want people in lower category suites to be treated any differently than passengers in the highest suite.

This is the first time in 10+ years that passengers that have not reached the loyalty level were upset because they not receive benefits offered to passengers with 60+ days or 200+ days. If I didn't know better I would think that there was a full moon outside. IMO, this thread is just strange.

Dolebludger, if Regent had given us one "small" bag of laundry per week when we were Gold, I would have done backflips (seriously).

LoonCall, as I believe that you know, we are currently on the Mariner so going back to find a previous post is not as easy as when we are on land. Therefore, I must assume that your "elitist" and class oriented comments were meant for me. CC members that have read my posts for the past 10+ years know very well how I stand up for passengers - especially when Regent has wanted to start programs that, IMO, were clearly "class oriented". I have even gone to corporate with my concerns that Regent would become "class oriented" like Oceania is. Although we almost always stay in a PH suite or above, we do not want people in lower category suites to be treated any differently than passengers in the highest suite.

This is the first time in 10+ years that passengers that have not reached the loyalty level were upset because they not receive benefits offered to passengers with 60+ days or 200+ days. If I didn't know better I would think that there was a full moon outside. IMO, this thread is just strange.

TC,

I have no idea where you are and don't know why you would think I did.

My interpretation of the OP's post was to give out information in a "hey, isn't this a cool benefit" way. Nothing more, nothing less. Then it devolved into a perceived fear of benefits being given to lower SSS members which would somehow impact the quick return of laundry service, degrade the upper levels benefits, that Platinum and Titanium members should weigh in on the issue, and on and on. You may not want people in lower category suites treated differently but that sentiment doesn't apply when hypothetical - yes, purely hypothetical - changes to a loyalty program are discussed. That's your opinion and that's fine but that's all it is.

While you often have valuable information to share and I think it's appreciated by the readers of CC, it is unfair to make statements that are not accurate. Not one person on this thread has indicated they "were upset because they not receive benefits offered to passengers with 60+ days or 200+ days." To say otherwise is an affront to all who posted their opinion and shared their not so secret desire for a short respite from the laundry room.

LoonCall: I guess we need to agree to disagree. My "take" on many posts on this thread is that posters are trying to convince Regent to extend the laundry benefit to more (or all) passengers. I gave reasons why I do no not think that it is a good idea and have expressed why.

Again, someone (if it was not you I apologize) made a statement that either Regent (or I) am being elitist or class oriented. This is not the case and I find even the accusation to be disturbing.

In any case, this is my perception and where my responses were coming from.

I am more than happy to agree to disagree. I do not have a problem with you expressing your opinions. I do think it's patently unfair to portray other posters as "upset" who were merely stating their opinions. There is a world of difference between posters suggesting Regent add some laundry benefits and being upset about not having them. And the latter was not the case.

Now can we please go back to griping about what is going on with the woeful shore excursion situation?:(

I am more than happy to agree to disagree. I do not have a problem with you expressing your opinions. I do think it's patently unfair to portray other posters as "upset" who were merely stating their opinions. There is a world of difference between posters suggesting Regent add some laundry benefits and being upset about not having them. And the latter was not the case.

Now can we please go back to griping about what is going on with the woeful shore excursion situation?:(

While I definitely feel that one poster was really upset, I am happy to on to shore excursions (on another thread). I just posted a positive change regarding shore excursions on my mini blog. Time will tell how I feel about the short Alaska included excursions that we will be taking over the next few days.

Well, whatever is said, I seriously doubt that we will cruise Regent again (as Gold members) unless they offer us a "laundry package" for a reasonable charge. Their high fares, coupled with the high airline fares if we want upgraded seating on domestics from economy, just make it economically unreasonable. It is not that we can't afford it. It is that we don't think the cash outlay is reasonable. And this kind of thinking got us to where we COULD afford it. Sorry, Regent, but you have just alienated one who was once your greatest supporter. Give me a decently priced "laundry package" like Paul Gauguin and MSC do, and give me decent air for legs wth in the North American continent from your gateway cities , and I'll give you another look. But for now, you can save some money by not sending me an ad in the mail every day -- unless it announces the changes we require.

What am I missing here? We are gold and we get a bag of laundry a week plus pressing for two items for each of us (I think). The white laundry bag is big enough - or I'm just really good at stuffing stuff into it! Is the issue that people want daily laundry service?

forgap, 4 items of pressing per person per 7 nights as a Gold SSS member :D

Dolebludger, who will you be cruising with in the future? In what way will the new company offer better value? Will they supply you with First class air and unlimited included laundry services?

It is not rocket science to work out value for money with different lines. Obviously there are personal preferences to be taken into account, like the treatment you get from the admin. side, but otherwise to compare Regent with e.g.Seabourn, look at a comparable suite, add in the Seabourn air and transfers charges , plus what tours you would be likely to take (for most people not two or even one a day), and divide the cost by the number of days of the cruise. Both lines do not charge extra for speciality dining.